Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: ONeill on November 11, 2010, 09:59:16 PM
I suppose as tyronefan says, the likes of Dooher and McGuigan will be of use late on in a game.

You just hope that when Mickey's time is up, he doesn't look back on 2009-2011 as a period when he didn't make the big decision and start the new breed more often that not. We saw in '09 and '10 that when it got to the latter stages, the lads from 03/05 got the nod. The other question is - are the young lads actually strengthening the team or is Tyrone a weaker side without Dooher, Hughes and Ricey...

Mickey is loyal to his lads from '97/98. I suppose he has drip-dripped in the McMahons, Penrose, Colm Cav, Carlin, McGee, McCarron, Tommy etc. You just feel that come an All-Ireland QF or SF in 2011, he'll be calling on the old hands again.

Mickey Harte has undoubtedly been an excellent manager, winning 3 All Irelands in his tenure was beyond the majority of Tyrone fans wildest dreams, but I cant just help but think that in 10 or 15 years we might reflect on the current era and ask ourselves given the potential quality of players at Tyrones disposal did we possibly underachieve through failure to integrate players younger than the 97/98 vintage????

orangeman

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 11, 2010, 11:44:10 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2010, 11:34:30 PM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 11, 2010, 11:24:21 PM
If now was 2020, I'd be really miffed if Tyrone hadn't at least 2 more AI's.
If now was 2030, I'd be really miffed if Tyrone hadn't at least 2 more again AI's.

It's very difficult looking that far into the footballing world.

So the 2001 lads kicked most of the wide balls ? Interesting.
Give me (us) your take then Orangeman.

My take on it hasn't changed since the Dublin game.

Tyrone kicked themselves out of it with 17 horrible wides. Dublin fluked their goal. We were desperately unlucky not to have scored the chance before half time when the ball came off the cross bar and was cleared to safety without conceding as much as a point. On the other hand, Dublin hit the post late on, it fell to a man who couldn't hit the gable of a house before that, he couldn't miss, time was up and Tyrone were beat. Yes, some of the younger lads could hve been put on. Yes Dooher is no longer the force of old. But he's been some servant and continues to be so along with all of the 97/98 lads.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2010, 11:54:41 PM
If now was 2030, I'd be really miffed if Tyrone hadn't at least 2 more again AI's.

It's very difficult looking that far into the footballing world.

Tyrone kicked themselves out of it with 17 horrible wides. Dublin fluked their goal. We were desperately unlucky not to have scored the chance before half time when the ball came off the cross bar and was cleared to safety without conceding as much as a point. On the other hand, Dublin hit the post late on, it fell to a man who couldn't hit the gable of a house before that, he couldn't miss, time was up and Tyrone were beat. Yes, some of the younger lads could hve been put on. Yes Dooher is no longer the force of old. But he's been some servant and continues to be so along with all of the 97/98 lads.

That tyrone team could have won the AI this year for sure and we all know it. Today just vexed me when I heard 'no retirements' from the team based loosley on the 98 minors and yet we are we in Tyrone are supposed to have the best young lads in Ireland coming through, if noone retires how can they breakthrough?

ONeill

Looking on the Dublin game is not a gauge. I still think it was a freak result. Cork 09 is more of a feeler.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Aaron Boone

Ultimately, we are here for more All-Irelands.
The very best talent in Tyrone has to be utilised.

barelegs

Quote from: Aaron Boone on November 12, 2010, 12:02:57 AM
Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2010, 11:54:41 PM

That tyrone team could have won the AI this year for sure and we all know it. Today just vexed me when I heard 'no retirements' from the team based loosley on the 98 minors and yet we are we in Tyrone are supposed to have the best young lads in Ireland coming through, if noone retires how can they breakthrough?

If they don't retire, they should be put out to pasture.

It's easy to get sentimental about these things. Look at Sean Og O'Halpin in Cork. I'd have said he'd more to offer Cork than some of the Tyrone players that want to continue.

The point has to come when Mickey takes the knife and cuts out the dead wood and the fellas that have given their heart and soul to the county but just can't reach the same standards again. It might sound like I'm being ungrateful (trust me I'm not, these fella's have given me some of the best days of my life) but the best interests of the county in the long term need to be addressed now. The young fellas coming through need to be given a chance.

ONeill

Mickey yesterday talked of monitoring the Coalisland team. In Mickey's tenure, it'd be quite remarkable if he didn't see the merit in any outfield player from two county champions (Clonoe and Coalisland).
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on November 12, 2010, 12:30:16 AM
Mickey yesterday talked of monitoring the Coalisland team. In Mickey's tenure, it'd be quite remarkable if he didn't see the merit in any outfield player from two county champions (Clonoe and Coalisland).

The old East/West hand grenade thrown there O'Neill?  ;)

Seriously though, it appears that this is a make or break year for the older lads on the panel. We all know their quality but have they the stamina/legs to mix it all the way to the third Sunday in sept '11? I think most have them a large part to play but it really is getting to the time were lads like Dooher/Ricey etc are fulfilling an impact role as opposed to certain starters.

Midfield is going to be essential. If we can get Enda, Cassidy, Hub, Colm Cav and Mc Kenna fit for the whole championship then we've got a solid base to work from. Out of the above I really hope Aiden Cassidy avoids serious injury, he's given us a lot of encouraging signs in his performances to date and a run at a full championship should bring out his best.

Out of the Coalisland team this year is anyone confident of picking any players that Harte may call up? Is Ronan O'Neill or any of last years minors (09/10) ready for the senior panel?

MR99

Quote from: loughshore lad on November 11, 2010, 09:24:55 PM
The word locally is Brian McGuigan is going back, as he proved last year when he got a run of games he still has something to offer.

Heard as well that Gourley is going back.

If virtualy all last years squad are retained/coming back will there be no new additions?

There will be new additions alright but it will just put the size of the squad up to 40 or so.  All this is doing is limiting the game time of the panel men and as has been proven through the years there game will go backwards a.l.a. Jason McAnulla, Mark Donnelly, Sean O'Neill, Ronan McNabb, Raymie Mulgrew, Marty Swift etc... this year and Shaun O'Neill, Niall Gormley, Peter Donnelly etc... before them.

Peter Donnelly withdrew before the start of last year and look how his game has improved this year, i'd say him withdrawing had a major say in the Fianna winning the title this year.  In saying that I think Harte should have Paddy McNiece, big McGahan and one or 2 more of the Fianna men in this year as well as Ronan O'Neill, a talent like O'Neill needs to be taken on board asap, he could make an impact next year. Ciaran McGinley and Ronan McCrory from Errigal should get a call too and a few of the fringe men should get the road.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Enda McGinley is playing some stuff for Errigal at full-forward at the minute. He'll likely finish out his days playing there. If he can avoid injury until next year, then I still think he has plenty to give at midfield for Tyrone. Peter Harte has also filled out well (with more to go) and is comfortable at centre half forward, a natural replacement for brian mcguigan.

Enda McGinley v Peter Donnelly should be worth watching next Wednesday night.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

orangeman

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on November 12, 2010, 01:58:13 PM
Enda McGinley is playing some stuff for Errigal at full-forward at the minute. He'll likely finish out his days playing there. If he can avoid injury until next year, then I still think he has plenty to give at midfield for Tyrone. Peter Harte has also filled out well (with more to go) and is comfortable at centre half forward, a natural replacement for brian mcguigan.

Healy Park ?

Onthe40

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on November 12, 2010, 01:58:13 PM

Yes was very impressed with Enda last sat V Omagh, he was best county man on show by a mile.followed closely by young Harte. Enda ruled the roost at FF..again may be testament that the less you play for the county the more prominent you are for your club..havent seen him in as good a form at club level for a while !!

have seen Ciaran mcGinley a few times, wouldnt think him or Mc Rory would be county standard.

Zapatista

QuoteEnda McGinley v Peter Donnelly should be worth watching next Wednesday night.
Where did Wednesday night come from?

skeog

if coalisland win on sunday league final off until december

TYRONE HACK

Tyrone vocational squad, east Tyrone management East Tyrone squad, very very East based, poor reflection on Clubs and schools in the west and North of the county