Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

I have to stand up for Carmen and Errigal here - they have dominated the club scene here for years and years and fair play to them - people can say that Errigal are an imalagamtion of 2/3 clubs - I don't really know - but Carmen are more than a good league team and Errigal are far from finished - both teams ran us ragged this year.

Not taking anything away from Coalisland or Dromre who are both two very good teams -  Coalisland and Dromore are in the final this year - may the best team win -

But it's a bit premature to be writing Errgial and Carmen off yet !

Big Mickey

think its harsh to call carmen a dirty team. out of all the times iv played against them,never had a problem with them,always bn tuff and hard,mayb not always fair but hey who is???
they just get on with the game. none of this mouthin,goading in ur face shit that alot of teams have started (bit controversial bt talkin about coalisland here).

hoopsaaa

Carmen (in particular) and Errigal have history the rest of us are trying to make history.

new devil

Quote from: oneillcup2007 on September 27, 2007, 05:01:18 PM
The Errigal and carmen was good if you were from Errigal and Carrmen but not really for anyone else.  In the early days both teams didnt know how to behave on a football field, and allthroughout their rivalry they ground good foorball teams into the ground.  As for crowds there was more at the Fianna V Donaghmore last Sunday than there was at last years county final, and this years county final will be a record.  Anyone who wants to see a bundle of auld done men take a hand out of each other see the Nally stand opening.  Anybody wants to see  the new and traditional powers that be in Tyrone football go to this years county final.  I know which one ill be going to..     

You really are a silly c**t   :D :D
The last time i seen "the island' play was last years c'ship when yous beat kildress by a point, kildress were missing 5 first team players and yous only scraped by... I fail to see how yous could improve that much in little over a year

tyrone86

Quote from: oneillcup2007 on September 27, 2007, 05:42:29 PM
wee Roddy you have read it wrong.. It always too k the big men to scare of the others,  Brian and Fergal Gormley, ciaran Loughran,  Seamus Mc Callan,  all true greats of Tyrone club football, but the younger generation are i  no doubt are more suited to league football.  Even when Carmen had 2 in a row they still needed to bring on the oldstuff in last years final against Errigal to sort them out - the young guys arent good enough, not the same team at all.  .  The clubs will suffer for failing to give the young lads the opportunities they deserve.  Even if Dromore managed to beat Coalisland, I would put tham as a much better chamspionship winner that the last 2 winners,.

That's the first time I've heard Brian Gormley and Ciaran Loughran referred to as big men but I digress. I'll agree with tram, with the exception of the McGinnity reign in 05 Errigal have been a great team to watch over the years. But I'd disagree with this theory that's Carmen are a workmanlike team and not much more. Yes they work very hard for each other and have been known to grind out results even when they're not playing particularly well, but they always have 10 or 15 minutes of top drawer football in every game. I can't remember what year it was, possibly '04, they played Killyclogher in a replay in Healy. It was a typical Killyclogher game in that period under that man McGinnity again - dogged, hard hitting and start stop. But in the last 10 minutes Carrickmore played some spellbinding football to end Killyclogher's reign as county champions. Fair enough, both Errigal and Carmen can be ruthless and, on occasion, dabble in the black arts but the roll of honour speaks for itself. 12 titles between them in the last 15 championships. Since you're the man asking the question - what's so different in the make up of the Fianna '07 as compared to Killyclogher '03 or Ardboe '98? You have to earn respect from the county and 12 titles speak for themselves.

tyrone exile

new devil "the island" have improved alot from last year. i was at that match in question and they might have been poor that day but kildress were even poorer, was at a few of there matches this year and can easily say there going to win the oneill cup, that and thers nothing in there way, dromore should have been put out at the quarters by a very determined kildress team, they got pass cookstown in a scrappy affair but i dont think theyl be so lucky come october!

orangeman

This is really a distraction - Errigal and Carmen have been the standard bearers - it's up to Coalisland and Dromore to match them - somehow I can't see it happening -

oneillcup2007

Ok Ill keep my opinions to myself on this question, however to move the debate on for all the weeping and nashing of teeth, i dont think anyone can deny that the 2 best senior teams of 2007 have made the oneillcup2007 final.  And the football has been more exciting and the games better attended.  One regret I will have for this year was the chance to put to bed that Carman and errigal were always kept apart in the Draw, if they had been fit to winb their games they would have met at the quarter final stage - what chances this will happen again next year.  In fairness I believe next year you will have a resurgent Ardboe, a toothy Carmen, a horse of an Errigal team, a more experienced Cookstown and Donaghmore set up, the holders Fianna, and an even hungrier but cursed Dromore team.  I can tell you now next years senior championship will have many big names falling early as the quality level of Tyrone football continues to rise.  Bring on the oneillcup2008

orangeman

What did you think of Donagmore this year ? They seemed to get no credit for beating Errigal ( twice ) and had Coalisland on the ropes at half time.

Wee Roddy

To me Donaghmore have gone backwards since the retirement of Gareth Hughes. If they had any ball winning forwards apart from Seamie Mulgrew to get the ball to McGinn they would take a lot of beating. To take Mulgrew off with the game still in the frying pan against Coalisland was one of the worst management decisions of the year. I would ask the question is there a bit of internal politics in the club? There has been Hetheringtons captains the past number of years I have been  told.

Oneillcup2007 I would like to point out to you one thing. Just because Coalislands games are better attended does not mean that the Tyrone championship is better attended. Where have Coalislands supporters been in recent years? But I would say that a Fianna victory would inspire other teams.
Lets see how Fianna handle the county champions tag in the league play offs ;) ;)

paradiseatdunmoyle

:D ;D ;D ;D oneillcup2007 you have made my day with statements like that. any wonder as each championship match you take part in more people are growing till hate your supporters. win a championship in this era before you call yourselves a great team. carmen and errigal  have shared 12 of the last 14 championship so dont come on here saying there not good teams. yes they hit hard but with players like hugh quinn, pascal canavan, emett mcginley, ciaran mcaleer and gaby mccallan what do you want them till do? hold back on their strength. we have some young boys coming through although yes its clear too many of carmens young men have won championships too easy. men like plunkett mccallan, peter loughran, barney gormley, mcgarrity, conor mcaleer, big seamie all learned the hard way. they had won various league titles before making the breakthrough. our boys have won ulsters so well see how coalisland do against the big men lik cross and ballinderry. let mcconville and gilligan put manners on you.
well spoke roddy well be going all guns blazing for a league title as well and hers hoping the island cant cope with us both

oneillcup2007

Its only a bit of craic lads, dont take it too seriously.  No team will fear the old big 2 ever again, because them teams are over, but on hidsight the older players were special alright. i dont think Fianna will be interetsed in leagues if we take home theoneillcup2007

paradiseatdunmoyle

so you wouldnt fear a full strength errigal team who against donaghmore were missing paul quinn and cormac mcginley. i would fear that. mcginn wouldnt have gotten half the ball he got if quinn hada been fit. another factor emmet mcginley might not be the most skillfull but he knows what it takes to win championship games. and would you not fear carmen forms at the minute add to that mark donnelly, peter loughran and pearse cuningham who will all be back hungry next year after missing last year

EC Unique

ONeillcup2007. You really are starting to make me smile now. Coalisland may or may not win the cup this year but what ever happens it will not make them anything like Carmen or Errigal. These teams have earned respect and fear over a period of 15 years. Teams come and go but these two are always there. When Coalisland have 5 or 6 championships and a couple of Ulster club titles I might engage conversation with you on who is the better team but until then just be a good wee boy and keep quiet. ;D
By the way, Errigal Ciaran was formed in 1991. It is not 2 or 3 clubs joined up but in fact the renaming of Ballygawley St Ciarans. This is fact.  ;)

orangeman

It colud be an interesting league play off !