Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugh the root

Tyrone co board should sell Garvaghey to the government for a refugee camp or something along those lines;build a state of the art facility at Tessies crossroads and have lots of spare money to get the show up and running again That will take away the depression and gloom that the players face on each journey to the hostel on the hill!No thought was put into the Garvaghey project!

Christmas Lights

I was in Garvaghey on a winters night and I saw a Polar Bear walking around it carrying a hot water bottle.

In the gym, you could not swing the proverbial cat around in it.  This is supposed to be a state of the art strength and conditioning facility but instead its a badly designed, not fit for purpose and demotivating monstrosity. 

The weather conditions that the site is subject to would put any man off going to training. 
I don't know whose unilateral wet dream the Garvaghey project was but the only people who benefit out of it are the good people at Kelly's Inn as it massively saves on their transport costs for food after training etc..

I don't know how the monstrosity will generate any sort of income to at least fund part of itself so it looks like its going to be a drain on the countys finances which has been reported to been the case.

Like Tyrone this season, its been a complete shambles.

wheres he takin er from

Quote from: Christmas Lights on July 16, 2014, 02:14:36 PM
I was in Garvaghey on a winters night and I saw a Polar Bear walking around it carrying a hot water bottle.

In the gym, you could not swing the proverbial cat around in it.  This is supposed to be a state of the art strength and conditioning facility but instead its a badly designed, not fit for purpose and demotivating monstrosity. 

The weather conditions that the site is subject to would put any man off going to training. 
I don't know whose unilateral wet dream the Garvaghey project was but the only people who benefit out of it are the good people at Kelly's Inn as it massively saves on their transport costs for food after training etc..

I don't know how the monstrosity will generate any sort of income to at least fund part of itself so it looks like its going to be a drain on the countys finances which has been reported to been the case.

Its not ideally situated, but what were the alternatives?

Does anyone actually know what it is costing, or whether it is a massive drain on the finances. I know club tyrone are frequently lauded as funding the whole set up etc. Plus I recall talk of getting government grants etc.

The idea is great and people behind it were obviously genuine in their hopes for it. If some things arent working its a bit rough to begin talk of scrapping the whole thing because an average enough set of players failed to progress to the latter stages of championship for first time in prob ten years.

wee bit of perspective people.

First on the field and last to leave

WT4E

I thought halfway between Cookstown and Omagh would of been a central location for it - Sperrins provide plenty of shelter from the elements along that road (possibly around Creggan?)

As for other issues - surely the design of a building in the shape of a circular T was stupid? Waste of material and space!!!!

rrhf

It is okay to joke but not when people with a very limited knowledge of the financial status of Garvaghey will use it as truth.  Garvaghey is financially in a good place, it is just a place a centre for activity and whilst more clubs need to take ownership of it, it is very well used and appreciated by county squads and management.  But curse it all you like but any valid points that are being made are being lost in anti county board, anti Mickey Harte, anti player and anti Garvaghey ramblings. You cant hit them all and still claim to be coming from a position of support for Tyrone so maybe you are a tad anti Tyrone.   

WT4E

Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

It is okay to joke but not when people with a very limited knowledge of the financial status of Garvaghey will use it as truth.  Garvaghey is just a place a centre of activity and whilst more clubs need to take ownership of it, it is well used by county squads.  But curse it all you like but any valid points that are being made are being lost in anti county board, anti Mickey Harte and anti Garvaghey ramblings.

Just wondering - who was consulted on location?

hugh the root

considering that GarvAghey is built on mountain ground I am sure the land was at a knock down price Who first came up with the idea to buy ground here or was it simply bequeathed to the red hand county by an Errigal ciaran supporter?

skeog

who actually sold the land or was it gifted

hugh the root

Need to ask fr mcginley in beragh he is from that part of the world and you should hear no lies!

Norf Tyrone

Club championships will now take place as follows:

8th-10th August
15th-17th August

Venues and fixtures next week.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Man Marker

Only after listening to the podcast there and didn't hear the contributors mention that Harte should leave the job or pack it in. All on the podcast seemed to back Mickey staying on, but they all felt he needed to completely change his back room team, and used McGuinness as an example where he has a new backer on team and it has had a positive impact on the team.I think McGinn emphasised that the discussions on the show were probably reflective of the thoughts and chats people were having up and the county.

barelegs

Quote from: Man Marker on July 16, 2014, 09:29:04 PM
Only after listening to the podcast there and didn't hear the contributors mention that Harte should leave the job or pack it in. All on the podcast seemed to back Mickey staying on, but they all felt he needed to completely change his back room team, and used McGuinness as an example where he has a new backer on team and it has had a positive impact on the team.I think McGinn emphasised that the discussions on the show were probably reflective of the thoughts and chats people were having up and the county.

The only one to explicitly say Mickey should stay on was Damian Cassidy. The rest offered no comment on whether he should stay on or not.

To be honest I think it's time Mickey moved on. It wasn't the results that were the issue this year it was the nature of the defeats. The wheels came off the wagon in Kilarney after a promising start to the season and things were never really sorted out after it. The teams selected were inconsistent and players selected out  of position. Some players seemed to get the benefit of the doubt and stay on the field and in the team regardless of performance, while others were hauled ashore at the first sign of trouble.

The problem for Mickey Harte was 2013. If Tyrone hadn't reached an All Ireland semi-final and come within minutes of the National League title then he could argue he hadn't the players. He was working with the same group of players this season. In fact the vast majority of the people on the squad were only introduced last season so they should have been expected a little bit more this year. Tyrone's squad is every bit as good as Donegals and Monaghans. The main difference is they look better conditioned and better coached.

What we got was a shambles. Should have been beaten by Down, got closer to Monaghan than we deserved to get and we were well beaten by Armagh.

It wasn't just disappointing it was an alarming regression. People can sugarcoat the criticism all they like, but Tyrone have looked devoid of a plan in attack and have no system in defence. These problems were clear during the league and they weren't addressed. Who's meant to take responsibility for that?

As far as I'm concerned the only thing stopping Mickey Harte from getting the chop at the minute is the lack of an obvious successor.

LeoMc

Quote from: WT4E on July 16, 2014, 04:34:14 PM
Quote from: rrhf on July 16, 2014, 04:31:16 PM

It is okay to joke but not when people with a very limited knowledge of the financial status of Garvaghey will use it as truth.  Garvaghey is just a place a centre of activity and whilst more clubs need to take ownership of it, it is well used by county squads.  But curse it all you like but any valid points that are being made are being lost in anti county board, anti Mickey Harte and anti Garvaghey ramblings.

Just wondering - who was consulted on location?

It is a bit too far south but I think about 4-5 miles north in or around Carrickmore would be as central as you could get.

Alternatively, to read a few posts on here it should be somewhere about Drumragh as no Easties are wanted on the panel.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 16, 2014, 10:58:10 PM
The comments over the last few pages here suggest something deep within the current malaise about the unhappiness in several different parts of the GAA in the county. For health reasons I'm not involved as much as I once was a few years ago, but these are the things I am sensing. The county board, particularly the CCC, seem to have an air of not being readily approachable (I think the justified criticism over the way club fixtures went about last year has seen them harden up) with the loss of Harpur being a concern, the senior football team appears to have no imagination and drive in itself as well as being unsettled. We're still have a work in progress over what to do at U21 intercounty level. Our minors suffered a setback with an early championship exit after a decent Ulster league run, but there are very few players appearing to come through that immediately stand out and can comfortably adapt. Clubs are getting fed up over various things. Garvaghy has the potential to be a great centre, but suffers from indulgence (did we really need the main building to be a Celtic T shape?) and a poor attitude to hosting games (I've mentioned before about how we went up to Garvaghy for league knockout & championship games last year where there was no spectator coverage for a fairly exposed site, pitches not flagged and/or poorly lined, no dugouts or shelter for subs & coaches, no scoreboards, no turnstiles for paid admittance etc. basically if a hosting club did what I just listed they would get a bollocking from the CB).

I think the ideas and visions that went about the county 20 years ago in terms of county team development, infrastructure and the structure of club competitions along with other notable matters needs to be revisited. We're not quite gone back round full circle to that point but it's better to pre-empt that point. However it needs ideas that are at least a little constructive and not people just calling for heads to be cut loose.

Excellent post which I think sums up where Tyrone GAA is at the minute.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Man Marker on July 16, 2014, 09:29:04 PM

Can I download the podcast to listen to in the car later?