Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafgael

Quote from: the_daddy on March 23, 2015, 02:00:31 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on March 23, 2015, 12:58:06 PM
Any opinions on the Acadamh Thir Eoghain that is being launched? Is this an admission that the development squads run previously where a failure?

Seriously?? ??????

It's an average hit rate of an All Ireland Minor Final every 3 years (winning 4 of them) since the introduction of Development squads in 2000. How anyone could imply that was a failure I don't know. Things have gone a bit stale and need freshened up and these new structures will address several of the underlying problems with the development squad system and will reinvigorate it massively. However, the neglect of the development of players from 18 - 21 has been a bigger issue for the lack of success at Under 21's since 2006 and senior level since 2010 rather than what people were doing with the development squads.

Failure may be a bit strong but there are most definitely a lot of things that could be done differently. Unless im completely wrong did the development squads not actually start in 2006? They seem to be producing plenty of a similar type of footballer rather than developing individual talent.

Under Lights

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on March 12, 2015, 04:56:07 PM
Just throwing the topic of club tactics out for discussion.

Firstly, I ask the question, are we in for the year of super defenses?

Just a few points to note from last year:
On the club scene last year, Omagh's defensive strategy paid dividend.
On the county scene, the Dubs without doubt were the best team to watch but ultimately succumbed to defense and strategy.
Given Tyrone's adoption of all out defense, will that influence individual players to encourage the same strategy with their own clubs?
Personally, I think this year will be about the defenses (unfortunately), but would appreciate your views.

Secondly, do you think that a team is best served employing the tactics of the day? Or playing to what they deem to be their strengths?

I think a lot of Tyrone club's are going to using defensive systems this year. You could see very low scoring affairs across the board.

If I were managing a team and the opposition set out with the two corner forwards going back into the defense- say in front of the FBL I would probably bring my best long range shooters out to be the spare man. Try to get them on the ball around the 45 and shoot outside the normal sweeper/defensive zone.

omagh_gael

Can anybody sum up the changes to the development squad set up?

Bo Man

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 24, 2015, 02:33:11 PM
Can anybody sum up the changes to the development squad set up?

with benny in charge id say the things gonna get some shake up.

rrhf

I'm pleased with the way it's developing.

skeog

has benny ever been in charge of ardboe at senior level he seems like a man who knows what is needed for future success

redzone

yes benny was in charge in and around 2008/09 time I think. it wasn't a success nor was it a failure either if I mind right. id say the players prob let him down possibly a bit.

as for the dev squad omagh gael the main change will be doing away with the name "dev squad", and players training in their club colours. before clubs sent who they thought should go and I think this will prob be the same. if clubs were smart they would send the worst players and try to develop them, as the good player will already be getting good coaching at school and will come through anyway. im sure there was plenty of good coaching done all along up in garvaghy. benny wouldn't be a man id think would like to be told what to do so it will be very interesting to see how it goes.

id like to see him coach a few of them how hit the way he did 8)

LeoMc

Quote from: redzone on March 25, 2015, 05:15:18 PM
yes benny was in charge in and around 2008/09 time I think. it wasn't a success nor was it a failure either if I mind right. id say the players prob let him down possibly a bit.

as for the dev squad omagh gael the main change will be doing away with the name "dev squad", and players training in their club colours. before clubs sent who they thought should go and I think this will prob be the same. if clubs were smart they would send the worst players and try to develop them, as the good player will already be getting good coaching at school and will come through anyway. im sure there was plenty of good coaching done all along up in garvaghy. benny wouldn't be a man id think would like to be told what to do so it will be very interesting to see how it goes.

id like to see him coach a few of them how hit the way he did 8)

Left field but I like your thinking. As you say the best players will get plenty of chances to play and develop, whether it be Colleges or at the next age group. It should be the player who is not getting as many opportunities (the clubs second mid-fielder or the big full back) who is developed to widen the pool at minor / u-21.

Onthe40

if the club dont send their best players though, its unlikely they will get through the trials and on to the chosen squads...i thought clubs were only allowed to nominate 3 players for trials..i see certain clubs have as many as 8-9 players nominated for trials for one age group...i wonder would the proposed coaches happen to be from the said club (s) :) another factor which i believe affected selection in the past.

ose 14

48 clubs in tyrone 3 players on average (5/6 bigger clubs 1/2 smaller) is 144 players approx make it 150 each dev squad at minute 30/40. forget about trials id develop the 150 of them at u14 100 at u15  and 60 of them at u17 whatever the bloody cost. the 2 most successful counties on this island kerry and kilkenny do that. academy sounds great its appealing possibly to stakeholders and benny hurl if its brainchild should be aplauded but like most things ala referees or even youth kits it costs money. tyrone spend it foolishly and on things that are questionable no kitchen in garvaghey being one and building a bloody hut in the shape of a T(who the hell architecturally gave the go ahead on that the weights room is in the right wing of the T say no more). the academy requires funding and it requires expertise that needs funded will that be done i doubt it very much.

redzone

yeah it doesn't make sense to ask clubs to send 3 players to trials but then for them to decide whether they should be picked for the squad. surely take the clubs word and train them up. if that's the way it is some clubs wont have any representation. maybe its not gona work like  that, we will wait and see.

good suggestion there ose, develop them all. couldn't cost that much

GlenMan

Honestly the whole Development Squad/ Academy system is flawed. After weeks of trials, young players could be dropped with no notice. That does nothing for their confidence at such a vital and important age! The Club's then have to take flack from disgruntled parents/parents.

Surely the money would be better spent by spreading it across every Club in Tyrone to develop their players in house. At the minute players from smaller Club's are unlikely to go far compared to players from Division 1 teams.

Malone Aristocrat

Benny was managing the most expensively assembled Sigerson squad in history (most talented in the country also) this year and lost every competitive game - league and Championship

bogball88

Anyone know if the double fixtures on Friday 1st May and Sunday 3rd May is still scheduled to go ahead?

blewuporstuffed

I think its scheduled to, but would be surprised if it does, with tyrone out 2 weels later.
Does anyone know what round sof games that is due to be?
is it rounds 4 & 5?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either