Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

Lads has it got to the stage now when referees believe the are the most important people in the GAA?

Club Rossa

I think it got to that stage some time ago.

Wee Roddy

I will tell you why I ask this. I heard a few stories from a source within the Carmen camp about some of the things he said to our players during and before the match on Saturday. He actually said to Gormley before the ball was threw in, "Conor your getting no handy frees today, your not playing for the county today".
When Paul Hughes asked about a decision that went against him, he was told to shut up, its bad enough looking like and idiot without sounding like one!
When giving a free against Colm McGurk on an occasion he actually winked at him.
Being a bad ref is not a crime nor is making mistakes in a game but surely players deserve a bit of respect from the man in the middle, just as players should respect the ref. Its hard to when this goes on!

Zapatista

The first point is a bit strange all right, was it part of a conversation? I wouldn't worry about the next two though.

A ref telling a player to shut up is fine in my book. I don't know about the wink as it needs context but i'd guess it was harmless.

Wee Roddy

The first one was when Gormley was walking past him at the start. No conversation at all!
There is telling a player to shut up and then there is saying that. If a player said that to a ref he would be looking at 2 months suspension would he not?
As for the wink...when a ref has game a terrible decision against you, and the whole ground seen it and he winks at you. what would you think

Zapatista

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 11, 2010, 09:02:30 AM
The first one was when Gormley was walking past him at the start. No conversation at all!
There is telling a player to shut up and then there is saying that. If a player said that to a ref he would be looking at 2 months suspension would he not?
As for the wink...when a ref has game a terrible decision against you, and the whole ground seen it and he winks at you. what would you think

The Gormley one is out of line then.
I've no bother with a player being told to shut up. If Hughes asked then he should have been told but if he went on a rant then fair enough. I wasn't there but I know players can often go on a rant about decisions when they might be better just shutting up. Maybe the ref seen something the rest of the ground didn't which would justify the decision and explain the wink?

I'm just trying to understand it as I wasn't there and it does sound strange.

Wee Roddy

There is nothing strange about it. During a bit of a barney between carmen and errigal he called both sets of players inbredI left the game on Saturday just thinking he had a bad day at the office but now i am not sure

Club Rossa

I certainly thought he had it in for Carrickmore too.Mickey Hughes was assessing him on Saturday night,would be interesting to know how he scored him.

Stephen McNamee refereed the Clonoe v Coalisland championship game earlier in the season and and in the opinion of most people he did a good job and used a common sense approach.But he didn't do a great job in the eyes of the assessors who gave him a low scoring which if i'm not mistaken resulted in him not getting another senior championship game.

on the sideline

Quote from: clarshack on October 10, 2010, 10:54:00 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on October 10, 2010, 09:44:16 PM
Quote from: clarshack on October 10, 2010, 09:34:54 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on October 10, 2010, 08:37:38 PM
why is killeshill v eskra on sat and the rest on sunday...is it because the game means nothing??

are killeeshil definitely relegated? if so is it because of this head to head business that is being bandied about? or is it not mathematically possible for them to stay up?

mathematically they can stay up if they win and aghaloo lose last game...this would force a playoff if this rumour about head to head games turns out to be bullshit!!! I vote for clarshack to make the call and find out lol.....

but then would this game not be on the same time as the aghaloo game in the interests of fairness? maybe head to head does count after all?
Quote from: KIDDO 4 on October 10, 2010, 11:58:33 PM
The result from the head to head does count , ruling passed at congress.

Kiddo has that rule just been passed this year, because i know in the past any teams finishing level with regards to playoffs have had to have a playoff?

If it is true then i think it is the wrong way to go about it because of the starred system we use because for example:
a) What if Kileeshil and Aghaloo had have been a starred game, and Kileeshil were missing Hub when they lost the game, is it fair that they should be relegated based on a result where the were not allowed to field their best player? (I know this didnt happen, but it could easily have been the case involving any of the teams with county men)

b) If the fixtures worked against you at the start of the year and you played all the teams with county players at full strength and loose while the team you ended up level with has some or all of those teams as starred games and win those games, and won the head to head, they have picked up easier points, and in that case I think the only fair thing to do is to have a head to head play-off.

on the sideline

On a similar note, does anyone know the procedure for two teams finishing level on points having drawn the league match, surely it has to be a playoff rather than score difference used to decide the position?

rrhf

There need to be mutual respect roddy, no doubt.  I remember a certain arrogant Tyrone referee giving young Mc Ginn a mouthful about not playing the soccor now when he was cleaned against Carmen in the championship a few years ago.  Ironically the same boyo's nephew now plays International soccor.  If you happen to be a player this stuff must wind you up tarra.   

Mr. Nakata

I thought the Omagh Carmen game was decent enough. Maybe not for a neutral. You want to see 100% commitment and that is what was on offer. The ref let the game run instead of blowing everything which is what I prefer. I thought he didn't ruin the game but a couple of his decisions were bewildering. A Carrickmore player was running in to a shooting position in the first half when an Omagh player sprinted up behind him and pushed him just as he was about to kick. As blatant a foul as you're likely to see. Omagh come out with the ball. Then in the closing minutes, Omagh defender Paul Tierney is taken down round the neck and by the time the ref turns around he sees Tierney lying on the ball. Free in to Carmen. Unbelievable.... I think Omagh will be happy enough to get a 2nd chance with Carmen putting one into the keeper's hands right at the death.

clarshack

Quote from: on the sideline on October 11, 2010, 10:22:13 AM
On a similar note, does anyone know the procedure for two teams finishing level on points having drawn the league match, surely it has to be a playoff rather than score difference used to decide the position?

dont think it would be fair to use score difference. for e.g. what if a team didnt field at end of the season - their opponents would miss an opportunity to increase their tally.

nrico2006

Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 11, 2010, 08:42:10 AM
I will tell you why I ask this. I heard a few stories from a source within the Carmen camp about some of the things he said to our players during and before the match on Saturday. He actually said to Gormley before the ball was threw in, "Conor your getting no handy frees today, your not playing for the county today".
When Paul Hughes asked about a decision that went against him, he was told to shut up, its bad enough looking like and idiot without sounding like one!
When giving a free against Colm McGurk on an occasion he actually winked at him.
Being a bad ref is not a crime nor is making mistakes in a game but surely players deserve a bit of respect from the man in the middle, just as players should respect the ref. Its hard to when this goes on!

Any of the above are unacceptable.  A player should have the right to ask the referee what the free given against them was for, yet too many of our officials seem to feel over-impowered and feel that if a player dare say a word in their direction that they can just move the ball forward and say what they want to the players.  I laugh at all the criticism players get for their behaviour towards referees, how they are disrespectful etc.  In my experience, the referees that show no respect to the players are the ones who are given no respect and vice versa.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Norf Tyrone

We had a ref doing one of our league games a few years back, and everytime he blew his whistle he yelled what it was for, 'push', 'pulling jersey' etc. He certainly stopped any questioning of his decisions, and he controlled the game really well based on it. I am nearly sure he was from Drumragh. If I heard the name again I'd know it.

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone