Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sanchez

Quote from: Rocky Mc Guigan on October 12, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
Quote from: DCR on October 12, 2009, 06:00:53 PM
Quote from: Sanchez on October 12, 2009, 02:42:21 PM
First post on here folks so bear with me as I get to grips with the auld technologoly and tinternet.

With the season almost wrapped up who do we think will make trials for the county before the end of the month? Not necessarily boys who will make the county panel but people you think deserve a shot after a good season in club football. Here's my two cents:

Mark Donnelly - Carrickmore
John Mc Conville - Ardboe
Mickey Garry - Dromore
Ronan Mc Nabb - Dromore
Peter Harte - Errigal Ciaran
Ciaran Mc Ginley - Errigal Ciaran
Paul Rafferty - Galbally
Shane O'Hagan - Clonoe
Padraic Martin - Eglish
Enda Clarke - Greencastle
Fergal Mc Aliskey - Derrylaughen
Diarmaid Mc Nulty - Gortin
Peter Hughes - Eskra
Gerard Mc Caughey - Aghaloo
Niall Donnelly - Fintona

If these are (possibly) going to make it. Who is going to go.
Of that lot only Harte and McNabb have a realistic chance of making the step up

Maybe they are the only two who will make the step up but you dont know that for sure until everyone is trialed. And even then none of them might be good enough for the panel. But the whole point is to give players a fair stab at it.

MR99

Quote from: mick the master on October 12, 2009, 11:39:53 PM
Welcome to the crazy house Sanchez.  Would agree with a lot of your suggestions.  I think Caolan Daly from Eglish has been very impressive this year and deserves a shout as does Paul McGurk from Carmen.  Regarding Niall Donnelly he must have had his only good game of the year against you's, I would struggle to think of a Division 1 club team he would make, should try rugby the amount of times he puts the ball over the sideline and Fintona players tell me his attitude is very poor

its Colm Mc Gurk not Paul

Sorry, its Colm McGurk I meant, fine player with a lot of drive and determination.  Of the lot that are named I think Harte will go for McNabb, Mark Donnelly and Peter Hughes,  You will see Mattie Donnelly in too.  Micky Garry and Paul Rafferty are fine footballers but Harte not going to call them in at their age.  McConville and Garry's battle in Sunday will let Harte know if McConville is up to it.

usa07

does any1 know if they are showing the tyrone county final on tg4???

orangeman

Quote from: usa07 on October 13, 2009, 11:58:56 AM
does any1 know if they are showing the tyrone county final on tg4???

They're not.

usa07

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: usa07 on October 13, 2009, 12:15:43 PM
what game are they showing??
Dublin football(if they have managed to sort out the endless replayed semi) and Tipperary hurling

mick the master

Quote from: MR99 on October 13, 2009, 11:01:38 AM
Welcome to the crazy house Sanchez.  Would agree with a lot of your suggestions.  I think Caolan Daly from Eglish has been very impressive this year and deserves a shout as does Paul McGurk from Carmen.  Regarding Niall Donnelly he must have had his only good game of the year against you's, I would struggle to think of a Division 1 club team he would make, should try rugby the amount of times he puts the ball over the sideline and Fintona players tell me his attitude is very poor

Sorry, its Colm McGurk I meant, fine player with a lot of drive and determination.  Of the lot that are named I think Harte will go for McNabb, Mark Donnelly and Peter Hughes,  You will see Mattie Donnelly in too.  Micky Garry and Paul Rafferty are fine footballers but Harte not going to call them in at their age.  McConville and Garry's battle in Sunday will let Harte know if McConville is up to it.
Harte will not even look at Colm Mc Gurk cause mc gurk had an incident with his son Mark in a club match afew years ago!

Tommo2

Quote from: mick the master on October 13, 2009, 01:36:03 PM

Harte will not even look at Colm Mc Gurk cause mc gurk had an incident with his son Mark in a club match afew years ago!

Don't think McGurk would be called up anyway. He's not really the type of person who would integrate well in the Tyrone set-up. More a personality thing than ability.

mick the master

Quote from: Tommo2 on October 13, 2009, 01:43:03 PM

Don't think McGurk would be called up anyway. He's not really the type of person who would integrate well in the Tyrone set-up. More a personality thing than ability.

what do u mean its a personality thing?

Tommo2

Quote from: mick the master on October 13, 2009, 01:46:33 PM

There are players in Tyrone of equal or better standard than Colm who may be better squad/team members. Don't think he would have the correct attitude for being a squad member.

amigo

Quote from: Tommo2 on October 13, 2009, 02:28:35 PM
Quote from: mick the master on October 13, 2009, 01:46:33 PM

There are players in Tyrone of equal or better standard than Colm who may be better squad/team members. Don't think he would have the correct attitude for being a squad member.

How well do you know him Tommo??

Zapatista

Do you mean team player?  Does he have any problems with the club team?

mick the master

Quote from: Zapatista on October 13, 2009, 05:17:23 PM

Do you mean team player?  Does he have any problems with the club team?
he has no problem with the club team what so ever,he gives it 100% and i know he would do the same with the county if asked!

Archie Mitchell

There's a great piece in the Irish News about the build up to the county final. The Ardboe captain, Ciaran Campbell, and Dromore's Sean O'Neill living in the same student house in Belfast, and that they will be marking each other on Sunday.

Fear ón Srath Bán

And here's that piece...

Housemates put friendship on hold

By Francis Mooney

Student flatmates through the week, Tyrone star Sean O'Neill and his good friend Ciaran Campbell normally go their separate ways come Friday afternoon. There's something special and somewhat unsettling about this weekend, however, that will thrust them into each other's faces.

Ardboe captain Campbell will mark Dromore's O'Neill in Sunday's county final. It's among many crucial personal duels – this one more personal than most – that will dictate the destiny of the O'Neill Cup. And it has been making for interesting conversations, and a few long, uncomfortable silences, in the Holylands dwelling that they share with another couple of prominent Tyrone GAA men.

Their other Belfast housemates are Dean O'Neill, captain of the Omagh team defeated by Ardboe in the championship quarter-final, and Martin Murray, who won an intermediate championship medal with Cookstown at the weekend.

"There's always a bit of banter about football," said Campbell who, at 23, is one of the county's youngest club captains. "It has been fairly friendly up to now, but I suppose the match itself will be a different story. Both teams will want to win."

O'Neill, who emerged as one of Tyrone's brightest emerging talents in this year's All-Ireland series, played at left half-forward in Dromore's semi-final win over Carrickmore, while Campbell is Ardboe's regular right half-back.

"He's definitely an up and coming player. I could be marking him, or maybe Paddy Montague, who's also an excellent player," said the Rossas skipper.

Campbell was just out of primary school when Ardboe last won the O'Neill Cup, back in 1998, and he has vivid memories of the trophy being presented to captain Fay Devlin.

"It's a great honour to be captain, especially in a big club like Ardboe, playing with the likes of Brian McGuigan, Mickey Coleman, Kyle Coney and Tommy McGuigan," he added.  "I was only 11 or 12 years old in '98, but I remember it well, and it was great to see Fay Devlin lifting that cup. Now, being captain, you realise what it was like for him in this situation, and it pushes you on, hopefully to better things."

And he accepts that he carries a heavy responsibility into Sunday's Healy Park decider, leading a club that has produced a string of championship-winning captains, including Patsy Forbes, the great Frank McGuigan, Malachy Coyle and Fay Devlin.

"It's a big act to follow, but you have to be a leader. They're big boots to fill, but hopefully I'm doing the job okay."

Ardboe are now appearing in their first final in 11 years, but their captain feels the failings that inhibited the team's progress have been addressed, principally by new manager Mickey Donnelly, a championship winner with Mayobridge in Down.

"Mickey has come in and put new rules in place, covered new ground. He has pushed us on. He's probably the best one to come in to Ardboe. He has great experience and we're getting the benefit now," he added.

"We have shown in our last three games we are actually coming from behind and finishing strong. It's what we now call the new Ardboe."
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...