Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on May 04, 2009, 01:48:38 PM
Definately not. Knock out football is what its all about and brings out the crowds. The first round games in Derry are now meaningless.

Somebody forgot to tell Lavey that ( and Swatragh ).

seamusthebard

Definately not. Knock out football is what its all about and brings out the crowds. The first round games in Derry are now meaningless.

Why should club players not have a back door as well as the county  players? Are they not as important! Remember there would be two all irelands less in Tyrone only for it so i can't see why the club players should n't have the same opportubnity.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: seamusthebard on May 04, 2009, 03:07:08 PM

Why should club players not have a back door as well as the county  players? Are they not as important! Remember there would be two all irelands less in Tyrone only for it so i can't see why the club players should n't have the same opportubnity.

Nothing to do with them not being as important. League football at club level is much more competitive than league football at county level, players get 15 good competitive important games there. The championship for me is much better when its knock out. Thats what people imo turn up to see. Wouldnt be the same if you knew both teams would still be in the competition.

longball

FEAR and other Strabane posters- Danny McBride had some game for yous on Sunday. Seems a real talent at full back- future Tyrone Senior?
John McLaughlin was unmarkable in first half but with strong breeze against them in second half they really struggled to get the ball into him.
Cookstown and Kilishil will be hard to beat in the championship
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

orangeman

Quote from: seamusthebard on May 04, 2009, 03:07:08 PM

Seamas - what were the crowds like yesterday at the matches in Derry ?

I tend to agree with you about the knock out thing and all that, but teams that are knocked out this week in the champiohship, their season is effectively over - it takes a lot of money to run clubs - and for the season to be over in early May I think is unfair on the average club player.

Had there been no back door for IC our season would have been over in the Marshes last June.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: longball on May 04, 2009, 03:20:59 PM
FEAR and other Strabane posters- Danny McBride had some game for yous on Sunday. Seems a real talent at full back- future Tyrone Senior?
John McLaughlin was unmarkable in first half but with strong breeze against them in second half they really struggled to get the ball into him.

Danny was only back from Oz last Saturday longball, and it took him a while to get to grips with the Killeeshil game on Sunday last. He is an ex-U21 County footballer, so he may definitely be a talent worth considering for the Senior set-up, and he's versatile too. We were missing both Warner Mullen (broken bone in the hand) and Marty Mc Nulty (torn calf muscle) too yesterday, which didn't help, and they would have provided more options in getting the ball forward against the wind.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seamusthebard

There were very good crowds at all the games and that was with four games going on as double headers at the same time. With the derry system, it is an advantage to win your game as it makes it very difficult to make progress if you do not succeed in your first game. I just get the feeling that the club players who put in as much work as the county players regarding time and effort and their games are stuck in between county games, more to get them out of the way than to assist the club. How many clubs have to play a championship game, without having their county player/s training with them and maybe having to play after a tougfh county champiuonship game five days previously.
I think it is time that the club players started demanding proper recognition and form the equivalent of the GPA!

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 04, 2009, 03:37:35 PM
Quote from: longball on May 04, 2009, 03:20:59 PM

Danny was only back from Oz last Saturday longball, and it took him a while to get to grips with the Killeeshil game on Sunday last. He is an ex-U21 County footballer, so he may definitely be a talent worth considering for the Senior set-up, and he's versatile too. We were missing both Warner Mullen (broken bone in the hand) and Marty Mc Nulty (torn calf muscle) too yesterday, which didn't help, and they would have provided more options in getting the ball forward against the wind.

Haven't seen too much of Danny McBride, but John McLaughlin knows where the goal is. He has a great nack of getting three pointers, and I notice a lot of them are fisted efforts. Martin McNulty is also a very honest committed player. I remember years ago when Urney were in divsion 1, and he was given the task of marking a lad called Canavan. It was a great battle, and the Errigal man only got two points IIRC and Errigal nudged over the line by a couple of scores.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

orangeman

Quote from: seamusthebard on May 04, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
There were very good crowds at all the games and that was with four games going on as double headers at the same time. With the derry system, it is an advantage to win your game as it makes it very difficult to make progress if you do not succeed in your first game. I just get the feeling that the club players who put in as much work as the county players regarding time and effort and their games are stuck in between county games, more to get them out of the way than to assist the club. How many clubs have to play a championship game, without having their county player/s training with them and maybe having to play after a tougfh county champiuonship game five days previously.
I think it is time that the club players started demanding proper recognition and form the equivalent of the GPA!

You do get that feeling alright,especially with the more succssful counties.

ziggysego

Greencastle v Urney in the Championship.

Friday 22nd May.

Venue TBC.
Testing Accessibility

amigo

ziggy,
why was this game not played at the weekend along with all the other Intermediate games ??

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on May 05, 2009, 01:54:43 PM
Surprised to see JPG playing, though he may not have been allowed now he is playing with Linfield?  he stroked over some lovely 45's. 

Yep DD12, he is that (as some of the Gortin crowd very kindly pointed out a few weeks ago  ;)), and Ciarán Friel is a big loss too -- couldn't commit with his upcoming tours of duty.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: amigo on May 05, 2009, 02:12:51 PM
ziggy,
why was this game not played at the weekend along with all the other Intermediate games ??

Not 100% sure amigo.
Testing Accessibility

tyrone86

ziggy,

Probably because it was the only intermediate fixture which had no county Senior panelists involved.

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone86 on May 05, 2009, 02:53:56 PM
ziggy,

Probably because it was the only intermediate fixture which had no county Senior panelists involved.

it still could have been played last weekend though. if i was from greencastle i would have wanted it played last weekend with all the momentum they have at the moment. you never know what injuries, suspensions etc can be picked up in the next couple of weeks.