St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

I was at St Johns V St Molaise Gaels game today. Final score 1-8 to 0-6 a win to Johns.

This was one of the worst standards of football ive seen for many a day, both sides couldnt pass. It was just unbeliable how many times the ball was giving so cheaply away. It made me think are these lads doing drills on underpressure foot passing. Johns were minus harrison, mcnamara and greene but we brought on eoin mchugh and peter wilson at HT. Both played poorly and again reinforced my previous reservations on there footballing creditionals.

I happened to be in the toilet at HT beside our dressing room, I heard our manager roaring that some of our supporters wanted us to lose. This was his team talk to fire up the players. I thought they were disgraceful comments. We are mess and we have a few lads who just play poorly consistently and those who excell. Gavin Gilsenan was FB for our minors last yr and is a million miles ahead of eoin and peter so should make county. I spoke to a few of our club lads after and all were of similar opinion. Just dont have 15 intermediate standard players and it costs us against tough oposition.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

AZOffaly

I'm picturing Sligonian crouched in the jacks, listening through a crack in the wall to the team talk going on. :D

Sorry for the non-Sligo interruption. :D

SLIGONIAN

Good one :D :D :D. I can assure you I was standing up if you know what I mean and didnt really hear what he was saying except "supporters being mentioned". I asked one of the club players what he was on about and he told me. Story gets alot worse when If i could say what supporters our manager was on about but I cant. Politics politics

magpie seanie

A good win but not a great performance from our seniors yesterday. Still - we'll take the 2 points and move on. Sadly we've lost Con O'Meara with a broken arm. I won't make any further comment on that at the moment other than to say it was more than bad luck that did it. Hope he recovers quickly.

Another game postponed for our intermediates. No doubt we'll have a run of 3 games in 6 days shortly instead of leaving over a back game to midweek in the summer...

SLIGONIAN

The 43-year-old Connacht rugby supporter who is in a critical condition after being brutally attacked in Belfast at the weekend is a member of a well-known Roscommon GAA family, hoganstand.com has learned.

Paul Newton was severely beaten outside his hotel in Bradbury Place at 3.30am on Saturday, having attended the Magner's League clash between Ulster and Connacht at Ravenhill only a few hours earlier. He suffered serious head and facial injuries and has been placed on a life support machine in the intensive care unit at the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast, where his family are maintaining a bedside vigil.

News of the attack has shocked GAA supporters in both Roscommon and Sligo, where Paul has lived for the past number of years. A native of Croghan in north Co. Roscommon, Paul was a noted footballer with Shannon Gaels before going on to win a Sligo senior championship medal with St. Mary's. Indeed, he has remained an active member of the Sligo town club.

He is also an accomplished basketball player and had lined out for the Sligo All-Stars recently.

The Newton family name is synonymous with the GAA in Roscommon. Paul's brother John was midfield on the Roscommon team that won the Connacht football championship in 1991, while another brother Des won an All-Ireland under 21 medal with the Rossies in 1978 and later played for both Donegal and Ulster

Very sad news just breaking. Got this off Hoganstand. Hope he pulls through. I pray for him and his young family.

Owenmoresider

Already a thread on it across on the General forum, but i'm sure all here wish him well in hopefully a full recovery.

Regarding the weekend's fare, a decent result for us, considering it was away, and we were short a few. But throwing it away at the death does rankle a bit. We could, with luck, have won 8-9/10 points so far, but at least we can banish any prospect of relegation with a win this weekend. John's march on, Enniscrone get back on track too. In D1 Ballymote still top after drawing with Tubber, Harps edge out the Bunnies in their local squabble. Coolera did the needful v Easkey, and Tourlestrane consign Curry into the bottom two - who would have thought it?

Geevagh looking very good for D1 now after the derby win over Shams, Mary's get a bit of a hiding from Castleconnor, who are back in the running. Other two must have been off. And Grange seconds keep on going in D4, wouldn't it be gas if they and Michael's went up, and the two first teams already there? Mullinabreena will have a lot to say on that though, provided they don't implode again.

Mano

Was at Tourlestrane Curry match at the weekend where a late rally by Tour beat our nearest and dearest rivals. With 15 minutes remaining we were 6 points down but we decided to put the ball quickly into the inside forwards saved the game for us.
Stephen Henry gave an exhibition of high fielding in midfield and has improved immensely since last year. He is under 21 again next year and is a serious prospect. He needs to work on his decision making and workrate but that will come. McIntyre alongside was not as spectacular but broke the ball well and had great workrate throughout the pitch.

burgh

any word on ohara or is he injured? any other injury worries 4 da weekend? awful hard to know wat the starting team might be with a few of the younger lads commin on nd doin ok against louth. heard tony taylor played  bit for harps at da weekend, good to see him back. could really do with him and egan back. egan gives a great physical and aggressive presence at centre back. i think mcnamara lacks that but is prob better on the ball. i reckon egan would be better at stopping the runs through the middle, very important if we struggling at midfield

SLIGONIAN

Welcome burgh, I agree with everything you said, there is thread on longford game already on page 2 of the GAA discussion. Ohara is fit im sure he'll start.

magpie seanie

A tough evening for us last night. Injuries, illness, lads based in Dublin, impact of county players getting held all hit us hard. Upshot was we just scraped 15 bodies together to go to Achonry to take on Mullinabreena. We were slow to start and went a few behind but just as we were raising a gallop we lost our centre back through injury. So 40 miutes with 14 men faced us. We put up a good fight for most of the second half but a fluke goal was followed by a three or four points in the last 5 minutes to make it look a bigger hammering than it was. Body is very sore today and another outing awaits tomorrow. The joys of a Div 4 footballer.

magpie seanie

Our seniors had a good win tonight against Ballymote. We got a fortunate goal in the first half to set us on our way. The concession of a late penalty made for a tense end but we held out to go second in Division 1. Next weekend we travel to Tourlestrane for a top of the table clash which should be interesting.

Elsewhere in Div 1 Tourlestrane had a good away win against Bunninadden. Tubbercurry added to Easkeys woes and on Friday night Harps return to good form continued with a comfortable win over injury ravaged Curry.

Teeling Gael

After conceding 2 goals in 5 matches , we went and conceded 3 in th efirst 10 minutes against Cloonacool in an abject performance which seriously undermines our chances of staying in Division 3. Hopefully with a few guys back, we can pick it up and there isnt much between any team in this division bar Johns obviously. Pats seem to be struggling fairly badly too but this isnt that unusual at this time of the year.

Geevagh are the team of the year in Sligo at this stage. To be top of their division missing 2 county players is a great achievemnet and is testiment to the hard work going on in Geevagh.

Coolera seem to be getting their act together in Division 1 and whilst they have traditionally over the last few years had a solid defence, their attack is looking more potent this year. A fit John Mac and they will be approaching the championship with confidence. Currys poor year is probably the biggest shock in this division.

See the fixtures are on website for the weekend. Am I alone in thinking that 4pm matches on a Saturday afternoon in late April arent right. Appreciate county minors are playing but whats wrong with Sunday ??

magpie seanie

Sunday morning brought an early rise and a series of one way attempted phone calls and texts  >:(. Eventually took to the field in Calry with the required number but proceeded to produce a disgraceful performance. An opportunist goal just before half time hauled us back into the game but in truth Calry wanted to win more than we did and held out for a 2 point win (1-9 to 1-7 - the score is slightly wrong on sligogaa.ie). With the team we had out we should have been able to take the spoils but Carly had greater hunger, teamwork and did the simple things better overall. So our Div 4 prospects took a serious hammering over the weekend. Coolaney/Mullinabreena and our next opponents, St Molaise Gaels, lead the way. We'll need to take points next weekend or this league is over for us.

Just some comments on TG's post - I don't know if those fixtures for next weekend are definite until the refs names are inserted. Also, on Curry - they have a huge number of injuries which largely explains their current plight. Trouble for them is time is getting short to fix them up - less than 6 weeks to championship. Geevagh are doing tremendously well and fair credit to them.

Edit - Referees added so times and dates seem to be correct.

SLIGONIAN

Was at the St molaise gaels v enniscrone. Highly controversial game. My Dad scored the game 9-8 victory to st molaises. Only to be told later that ref scored it a draw. Then we got phonecall from a supporter saying the ref admitted at HT that he messed up the score and hadnt a clue what it was so he asked Gaels management team what score was, they said we were up a 1pt, then he asked enniscrone and they said they were up 1pt. Score was infact 4-4 each but instead of spliting the score down the middle on what both managers said he took enniscrones word over ours for no reason. Sums up the GAA for me. Clueless. I wont even go on at how overly physical enniscone are and how the ref let them away it a few clotheslines and closed fist tackles. Fair play to our lads for holding there heads.

Sligoper

Bloody Fixtures are a disaster! Games near and around the two bank Holidays so no beer them weelends? Arent players allowed to enjoy a drink?
Go on the Bunnies!