Quarter finals :

1 - Winner in Group A plays Runner-up in Group C

2 - Runner-up in Group A plays Winner in Group C

3 - Winner in Group B plays Runner-up in Group D

4 - Runner-up in Group B plays Winner in Group D

Semi finals:

1 V 3 and 2 V 4

the Deel Rover

an article with your new manager lads can't find a county thread to put in in to
www.mayonews.ie/index.php? if  you click on sport and then onto in the spotlight at the bottom of the page, i can't paste the fecking thing
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Owenmoresider

Here it is:

In the spotlight

Tommy Jordan may have left Crossmolina to take over the Sligo footballers but his heart remains firmly in North Mayo

THERE are probably quite a few things you don't know about Tommy Jordan so here's a few pointers to get you started. He is currently recuperating from a broken leg, sustained ten weeks ago while playing soccer at lunch-time with his work mates. When he recovers he will begin making the 100-mile round-trip again to Castlerea Prison where he and his wife Mary both work as Prison Officers. "If you want to be technical about it you could say we met in jail," he chuckles.
Jordan is 48 years of age, plays a bit of golf, and is not a huge fan of pubs and clubs. He also just happened to manage Crossmolina to three county championships, two Connacht titles, and an All-Ireland. And since last month he is the brand spanking new manager of Sligo, Connacht champions 2007.
Meet Thomas Jordan. Born, bred and reared in Crossmolina. A one club man who has taken over a county team across the border. And unless London stun Sligo in Ruislip next May, a man who will be preparing a team to beat Mayo in the Connacht Championship next summer.

MF How did you become Sligo manager?
TJ I got a call to see if I'd be interested in taking it on, I gave it a bit of consideration, and told them I'd be interested in talking to them. Fortunately, we agreed that there was enough there in common to make it work but time will tell whether it will or not.
What tempted me into it was that at one stage, after finishing up with the club, Eugene Ivers asked me if I'd be interested in getting involved with the Mayo minors. At that time I didn't feel that I'd be able to give the time and commitment but it was only a couple of weeks after I said no that I regretted it. So when the chance came along with Sligo I said I'd take it and have no regrets.
You have to decide if you want to do the job, if you'd be comfortable doing it. I feel I'm capable of doing it and once I was happy with that I was happy to go with it.

MF Is it a risk taking Sligo over when they're Connacht champions?
TJ There's always a risk when you're doing something in football, in sport. There's no such thing as a safe bet and you have to live with the consequences whatever happens. What we have to do is prepare the team as best we can and get them to perform as best we can.

MF Why do you think Sligo approached you?
TJ You'd have to ask them but I'd assume it was because we enjoyed success here at the club on a number of occasions over a period of time. They're hoping that I've learnt from my time here and that I can bring my experience to bear on Sligo.
Football is a fairly simple game when it's played properly. I'd like to think that our players in Crossmolina played football the way you'd like to see it played, but that's for others to judge. Sligo are Connacht champions and you don't do that by being bad footballers. I'd like to think I can move things on a bit in Sligo.
Personally, I like to see nice, attacking football. While you must be defensively-minded, and you can't be naïve, you play to your strengths going forward, moving the ball quickly. You need players to be confident, to believe in their own ability, and take scores when the chances arrive, not to be moving it on to somebody else.
How you manage people individually is what's important. You can't have perceptions based on what people tell you or what you read. You have to treat people as you find them.

WE talk for nearly two hours and by the time we go our separate ways one thing is certain; you can take the man out of Crossmolina but you can't take Crossmolina out of the man. Tommy Jordan may be about to embark on the biggest challenge of his sporting life as the manager of the Sligo senior football team but his heart is in Crossmolina. Always was. Always will be.
You can sense it from the way he admires the magnificent picture of the All-Ireland club championship winning panel of 2001 that hangs proudly in the Jordan hallway. You can see it in his eyes when he explains what it was like to manage a team of champions. And you can hear it in his voice when he gives you the guided tour of Crossmolina's facilities at St Tiernan's Park.
Home is where Tommy Jordan's heart is.

MF Will you miss Crossmolina?
TJ I'll miss it because I got on well... But the difficulty I felt was that I was around a long time with the same bunch of players. There's only so many times you can listen to the same voice and I felt it was time for a freshness, time for a change.
There's still a fine side there, as we showed by winning the league title, and I just think we need somebody new there, somebody fresh to get that little bit more out of them. I thought I didn't have that anymore because I'd been with them for so long.
I had my mind made up though at the beginning of last year that it was going to be my last year.
MF Did you think you'd bow out on a high?
TJ If you're being realistic you can't be too sure about anything, you have to take what comes. I'd have liked if that was the case but going out winning the league title, the way that we won it, wasn't bad either.

MF What was it like commanding that Crossmolina dressing-room?
TJ It's difficult to put into words... You're tapped into a huge emotion in a championship dressing-room. Fellas are uptight, tense, nervous and you're trying to keep everything balanced. You're trying to bring the fella that's over-hyped back down a bit, the fella that you feel should be more 'up for it' needs to be put into the frame a bit more.
Personally, the day of a final, you have a job to do so you can't really get too involved in the emotion that's part of county final day or championship dressing-rooms. As a manager you can't allow yourself get tied up in the emotion of it because if you do you take your eye off the ball. You have to take a step back from it.

MF Was it a privilege to manage that group of players?
TJ It was as good as it will get. Regardless of everything else, when you win an All-Ireland with your club team... It doesn't get any better than that. But, even if you didn't, to win a county title with your club is a fantastic achievement. They're an exceptional bunch of players. Those kind of players only come along once or twice in a lifetime and for me it was a privilege to manage them.

MF I presume winning the All-Ireland was the pinnacle?
TJ It was, but everything we've done since, every county title we've won since, has meant as much. You don't win them every year and we had to go back to 1949 before we won one in 1995. I grew up not winning championship games. If we won a game when I was playing it was nearly like winning an All-Ireland. I remember saying at the time that we probably wouldn't appreciate what we'd done for ten years. It's not until time passes that you appreciate the magnitude of what was achieved.
The players won that All-Ireland. They made the decisions. I played a part. There's an awful lot of emphasis being put on what managers do, and while they have a role to play, it's not as big as it's being pumped up to be. That's my own opinion. Players win games. We were lucky that we had the commodity that you need — good footballers. If you don't have them, you have nothing. You won't win, no matter how good you are, if you don't have the players.
MF How would you sum up that group?
TJ They were very dedicated and very talented. You weren't begging fellas to come to training, to play football. They wanted to and that was the difference. When we trained you had everyone and if somebody wasn't there you got a call to say why. They believed in their own ability too and that was something that was instilled in them all the way up by their coaches in Bord na nOg.

IT'S somewhat ironic that as the most successful manager in the illustrious history of Crossmolina GAA club steps down, his old job still remains vacant at St Tiernan's Park.
The club are still searching for a successor to Jordan but the hunt is unlikely to last too long. Crossmolina have always survived, even back in the dark days that stretched for almost 50 years without a senior title.
Tommy Jordan sips his tea and laughs out loud as he recalls his own playing days as a 'limited' corner-forward. He was working locally as a carpenter in 1980 when the club brought an Intermediate Championship title back to the town. He enjoyed his football but work was scarce for 'chippys' and a chance meeting with a local man saw his career path swerve off in a different direction.
He left Crossmolina and went to work in Limerick for fourteen years as a Prison Officer. He met Mary there, commuted home for a while to play football, but eventually settled with a junior team in the city and the visits home became less frequent once he became a father.
But the lure of Crossmolina was always strong and the opening of Castlerea Prison provided the Jordan family with an avenue to come home. The Prison brought jobs and so another chapter began. Once Tommy Jordan settled back in it wasn't long before the GAA club came calling. "I got involved as a selector in 1998 with John Joe McLoughlin, stepped into the hotseat myself in 1999, and the rest is history," he smiles contentedly.

MF How would you describe working in a prison?
TJ It was most enjoyable up until about ten weeks ago. You got to play football every day at dinner time and pretend you were in Old Trafford. And you had 10 or 12 lads in the same frame of mind as you. It was the same as going to school and playing in the yard.
I didn't even have the satisfaction of having my leg broken by a bad tackle, I just twisted on it. I knew something was seriously wrong but I had a fella sitting on a ball one side of me wondering if I'd be okay to play in goal!

MF What was it like to manage Ciaran McDonald?
TJ Ciaran is an unreal talent, an exceptional talent. It's only really when you see him on the training field, when you see what he's doing, that you begin to realise it. He's a natural footballer, it's pure instinct. He has raw talent and he works hard at it.
In terms of the club, I've seen Ciaran coming down in his wet gear on evenings setting up lights for us before training. It was a privilege to have been close to him for much of his career and when you have a player like Ciaran at your disposal, it makes life easier.

MF Is it daunting to think you might have to stop him as manager of Sligo?
TJ The best you can do with Ciaran is curtail him, you won't stop him. He's very gifted. I don't know if he'll be being playing football this year, that's up to him, but it would be very sad if he didn't.

MF Have you thought about playing Mayo next summer?
TJ Big matches are where the work you've done is tested. You do the work and the preparation with a view to winning championship matches, no matter who you're playing. Our first championship match is London and we'll have to be prepared properly to win that.
I've been to Castlebar many times with teams so it won't be a big change going there for a game. Mayo makes no difference to me. Whoever comes before you, comes before you. The draw suggests it will be Mayo but it makes no difference to me.

MF What would be a good year in Sligo?
TJ I haven't given it any consideration. If the team performed to its ability and retained Connacht it would be an achievement. I haven't set goals.

Owenmoresider

Sligo League Fixtures 2008 (Provisional)

Division 1
Round 1: Feb 24
Tubbercurry v Eastern Harps
Easkey v Curry
Coolera/Strandhill v Tourlestrane
Ballymote v Bunninadden

Round 2: Mar 9
Curry v Tubbercurry
Eastern Harps v Easkey
Bunninadden v Coolera/Strandhill
Tourlestrane v Ballymote

Round 3: Mar 15/16
Tubbercurry v Tourlestrane
Coolera/Strandhill v Eastern Harps
Ballymote v Curry
Easkey v Bunninadden

Round 4: Mar 23
Tourlestrane v Easkey
Curry v Coolera/Strandhill
Eastern Harps v Ballymote
Bunninadden v Tubbercurry

Round 5: Mar 29/30
Tubbercurry v Coolera/Strandhill
Tourlestrane v Eastern Harps
Easkey v Ballymote
Curry v Bunninadden

Round 6: Apr 12/13
Ballymote v Tubbercurry
Bunninadden v Eastern Harps
Coolera/Strandhill v Easkey
Tourlestrane v Curry

Round 7: Apr 20
Easkey v Tubbercurry
Eastern Harps v Curry
Coolera/Strandhill v Ballymote
Bunninadden v Tourlestrane

Round 8: Apr 27
Eastern Harps v Tubbercurry
Curry v Easkey
Tourlestrane v Coolera/Strandhill
Bunninadden v Ballymote

Round 9: May 3
Tubbercurry v Curry
Easkey v Eastern Harps
Coolera/Strandhill v Bunninadden
Ballymote v Tourlestrane

Round 10: May 11
Easkey v Tourlestrane
Coolera/Strandhill v Curry
Ballymote v Eastern Harps
Tubbercurry v Bunninadden

Round 11: Jun 15
Easkey v Tourlestrane
Coolera/Strandhill v Curry
Ballymote v Eastern Harps

Round 12: Jun 29
Coolera/Strandhill v Tubbercurry
Eastern Harps v Tourlestrane
Ballymote v Easkey
Bunninadden v Curry

Round 13: Jul 6
Tubbercurry v Ballymote
Eastern Harps v Bunninadden
Easkey v Coolera/Strandhill
Curry v Tourlestrane

Round 14: Jul 13
Tubbercurry v Easkey
Curry v Eastern Harps
Ballymote v Coolera/Strandhill
Tourlestrane v Bunninadden

Final: Jul 20

Division 2
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Eastern Harps
Shamrock Gaels v St. Mary's
Geevagh v Castleconnor
Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Farnan's

St. Mary's v Eastern Harps
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Shamrock Gaels
St. Farnan's v Geevagh
Castleconnor v Calry/St. Joseph's

Eastern Harps v Castleconnor
Geevagh v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Mary's
Shamrock Gaels v St. Farnan's

Castleconnor v Shamrock Gaels
St. Mary's v Geevagh
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Farnan's v Eastern Harps

Eastern Harps v Geevagh
Castleconnor v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Shamrock Gaels v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Mary's v St. Farnan's

Calry/St. Joseph's v Eastern Harps
St. Farnan's v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Geevagh v Shamrock Gaels
Castleconnor v St. Mary's

Shamrock Gaels v Eastern Harps
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v St. Mary's
Geevagh v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Farnan's v Castleconnor

Eastern Harps v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
St. Mary's v Shamrock Gaels
Castleconnor v Geevagh
St. Farnan's v Calry/St. Joseph's

Eastern Harps v St. Mary's
Shamrock Gaels v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Geevagh v St. Farnan's
Calry/St. Joseph's v Castleconnor

Castleconnor v Eastern Harps
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Geevagh
St. Mary's v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Farnan's v Shamrock Gaels

Shamrock Gaels v Castleconnor
Geevagh v St. Mary's
Calry/St. Joseph's v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Eastern Harps v St. Farnan's

Geevagh v Eastern Harps
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Castleconnor
Calry/St. Joseph's v Shamrock Gaels
St. Farnan's v St. Mary's

Eastern Harps v Calry/St. Joseph's
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v St. Farnan's
Shamrock Gaels v Geevagh
St. Mary's v Castleconnor

Eastern Harps v Shamrock Gaels
St. Mary's v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Calry/St. Joseph's v Geevagh
Castleconnor v St. Farnan's

Division 3
St. Molaise Gaels v Cloonacool
Owenmore Gaels v Enniscrone
St. Michael's v St. John's
St. Patrick's v Curry

Enniscrone v Cloonacool
St. Molaise Gaels v Owenmore Gaels
St. John's v St. Patrick's
Curry v St. Michael's

Cloonacool v Curry
St. Patrick's v St. Molaise Gaels
St. Michael's v Enniscrone
Owenmore Gaels v St. John's

Curry v Owenmore Gaels
Enniscrone v St. Patrick's
St. Molaise Gaels v St. Michael's
St. John's v Cloonacool

Cloonacool v St. Patrick's
Curry v St. Molaise Gaels
Owenmore Gaels v St. Michael's
Enniscrone v St. John's

St. Michael's v Cloonacool
St. John's v St. Molaise Gaels
St. Patrick's v Owenmore Gaels
Curry v Enniscrone

Owenmore Gaels v Cloonacool
St. Molaise Gaels v Enniscrone
St. Patrick's v St. Michael's
St. John's v Curry

Cloonacool v St. Molaise Gaels
Enniscrone v Owenmore Gaels
Curry v St. Patrick's
St. John's v St. Michael's

Cloonacool v Enniscrone
Owenmore Gaels v St. Molaise Gaels
St. Patrick's v St. John's
St. Michael's v Curry

Curry v Cloonacool
St. Molaise Gaels v St. Patrick's
Enniscrone v St. Michael's
St. John's v Owenmore Gaels

Owenmore Gaels v Curry
St. Patrick's v Enniscrone
St. Michael's v St. Molaise Gaels
Cloonacool v St. John's

St. Patrick's v Cloonacool
St. Molaise Gaels v Curry
St. Michael's v Owenmore Gaels
St. John's v Enniscrone

Cloonacool v St. Michael's
St. Molaise Gaels v St. John's
Owenmore Gaels v St. Patrick's
Enniscrone v Curry

Cloonacool v Owenmore Gaels
Enniscrone v St. Molaise Gaels
St. Michael's v St. Patrick's
Curry v St. John's

Division 4
St. Mary's v St. Michael's
Ballisodare v Coolaney/Mullinabreena
St. Molaise Gaels v Coolera/Strandhill
St. Farnan's v Calry/St. Joseph's

Coolaney/Mullinabreena v St. Mary's
St. Michael's v Ballisodare
Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Molaise Gaels
Coolera/Strandhill v St. Farnan's

St. Mary's v Coolera/Strandhill
St. Molaise Gaels v St. Michael's
St. Farnan's v Coolaney/Mullinabreena
Ballisodare v Calry/St. Joseph's

Coolera/Strandhill v Ballisodare
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v St. Molaise Gaels
St. Michael's v St. Farnan's
Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Mary's

St. Mary's v St. Molaise Gaels
Coolera/Strandhill v St. Michael's
Ballisodare v St. Farnan's
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Calry/St. Joseph's

Calry/St. Joseph's v St. Michael's
St. Molaise Gaels v Ballisodare
Coolera/Strandhill v Coolaney/Mullinabreena

Ballisodare v St. Mary's
St. Michael's v Coolaney/Mullinabreena
St. Molaise Gaels v St. Farnan's
Calry/St. Joseph's v Coolera/Strandhill

St. Michael's v St. Mary's
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Ballisodare
Coolera/Strandhill v St. Molaise Gaels

St. Mary's v Coolaney/Mullinabreena
Ballisodare v St. Michael's
St. Molaise Gaels v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Farnan's v Coolera/Strandhill

Coolera/Strandhill v St. Mary's
St. Michael's v St. Molaise Gaels
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v St. Farnan's
Calry/St. Joseph's v Ballisodare

Ballisodare v Coolera/Strandhill
St. Molaise Gaels v Coolaney/Mullinabreena
St. Farnan's v St. Michael's
St. Mary's v Calry/St. Joseph's

St. Molaise Gaels v St. Mary's
St. Michael's v Coolera/Strandhill
St. Farnan's v Ballisodare
Calry/St. Joseph's v Coolaney/Mullinabreena

St. Mary's v St. Farnan's
St. Michael's v Calry/St. Joseph's
Ballisodare v St. Molaise Gaels
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Coolera/Strandhill

St. Mary's v Ballisodare
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v St. Michael's
St. Farnan's v St. Molaise Gaels
Coolera/Strandhill v Calry/St. Joseph's

Pick and Choose League

Group A
Round 1: Feb 17
Tourlestrane v Coolera/Strandhill

Round 2: Mar 2
Bunninadden v Tourlestrane
Coolera/Strandhill v Tubbercurry

Round 3: Apr 5
Tubbercurry v Tourlestrane
Bunninadden v Coolera/Strandhill

Group B
Easkey v Eastern Harps
Curry v Ballymote

Ballymote v Easkey
Curry v Eastern Harps

Eastern Harps v Ballymote
Easkey v Curry

Final: May 5

Kiernan Cup

Group A
Geevagh v Shamrock Gaels

St. Mary's v Geevagh
Shamrock Gaels v St. Farnan's

Geevagh v St. Farnan's
Shamrock Gaels v St. Mary's

Group B
Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Calry/St. Joseph's
Castleconnor v Eastern Harps

Calry/St. Joseph's v Castleconnor
Eastern Harps v Drumcliffe/Rosses Point

Drumcliffe/Rosses Point v Castleconnor
Calry/St. Joseph's v Eastern Harps

Benson Cup

Group A
Owenmore Gaels v St. Patrick's
St. Molaise Gaels v Enniscrone

St. Patrick's v St. Molaise Gaels
Enniscrone v Owenmore Gaels

Owenmore Gaels v St. Molaise Gaels
Enniscrone v St. Patrick's

Group B
St. Michael's v St. John's
Curry v Cloonacool

St. Michael's v Cloonacool
St. John's v Curry

Curry v St. Michael's
St. John's v Cloonacool

Abbott Cup

Group A
Ballisodare v St. Michael's
Coolaney/Mullinabreena v St. Mary's

St. Mary's v Ballisodare
St. Michael's v Coolaney/Mullinabreena

Coolaney/Mullinabreena v Ballisodare
St. Mary's v St. Michael's

Group B
Coolera/Strandhill v St. Molaise Gaels

St. Molaise Gaels v Calry/St. Joseph's
St. Farnan's v Coolera/Strandhill

Calry/St. Joseph's v Coolera/Strandhill
St. Molaise Gaels v St. Farnan's

Owenmoresider

Set up the poll for 2008, but omitted Curry, corrected that now.

Fixtures for the next fortnight, as the club action gets under way:

Matches on 16th and 17th of February 2008

Margaret Toolan - Benson Cup

Round 1

Curry                        V Cloonacool                  Sun 17-Feb-08 12:00PM    Dermot Mullaney

Owenmore Gaels           V St Patricks                   Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     John Niland

St Michaels                 V St Johns                     Sun 17-Feb-08 12:00PM    Pat McDermott

St Molaise Gaels            V Enniscrone                   Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     John Griffin

McCarrick Garages - Kiernan Cup

Round 1

Castleconnor                V Eastern Harps               Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Derek Gormley

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt       V Calry/St Josephs            Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Michael Harte

Geevagh                    V Shamrock Gaels             Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Pat McGrath

St Farnans                  V St Marys                     Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     TJ Keavney

Sligo Estates - Pick N Choose

Round 1

Curry                        V Ballymote                    Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Seán Rooney

Easkey                      V Eastern Harps               Sat 16-Feb-08 2:00 PM     Trevor Feeney

Tourlestrane                V Coolera/Strandhill           Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Anthony McGowan

Tubbercurry                V Bunninadden                 Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Des Henry

Abbott Ireland - Abbott Cup

Round 1

Ballisodare                  V St Michaels                  Sat 16-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Eugene McHale

Calry/St Josephs           V St Farnans                  Sun 17-Feb-08 12:00PM    Ciaran ODonnell

Coolaney/Mullinabreena    V St Marys                    Sun 17-Feb-08 12:00PM    Malachy Maher

Coolera/Strandhill          V St Molaise Gaels            Sun 17-Feb-08 12:00PM    Declan OBoyle

Matches on 23rd and 24th of February 2008

Sligo Park Hotel - League Division 1

Round  1

Ballymote                   V Bunninadden                Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     TJ Keavney

Coolera/Strandhill          V Tourlestrane                Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     John Niland

Easkey                      V Curry                        Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Dermot Mullaney

Tubbercurry                V Eastern Harps               Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Pat McGrath

EJ Menswear - League Division 2

Round  1

Calry/St Josephs           V St Farnans                  Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Seán Rooney

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt       V Eastern Harps               Sat 23-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Marty Duffy

Geevagh                    V Castleconnor                Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Des Henry

Shamrock Gaels            V St Marys                    Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Anthony McGowan

Leonard Building Supplies - League Division 3

Round  1

Owenmore Gaels           V Enniscrone                  Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Pat McDermott

St Michaels                 V St Johns                     Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     Michael Harte

St Molaise Gaels            V Cloonacool                  Sun 24-Feb-08 2:30 PM     John Griffin

St Patricks                  V Curry                        Sat 23-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Eugene McHale

Murphy & Sons Auctioneers - League Division 4

Round  1

Ballisodare                  V Coolaney/Mullinabreena    Sun 24-Feb-08 12:00PM    Malachy Maher

St Farnans                  V Calry/St Josephs            Sat 23-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Ciaran ODonnell

St Marys                    V St Michaels                  Sat 23-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Derek Gormley

St Molaise Gaels            V Coolera/Strandhill           Sat 23-Feb-08 4:00 PM     Declan OBoyle

Teeling Gael

Happy New Year !!

To be honest am finding it extremely hard to work up much enthiusiasm for Club football in February with 3 weeks off in May and another 3 in late July !! Our chairmans address urging people to play their football in Spring and Summer doesnt quite ring through with gaps like those in peak footballing months. Also find it hard to reconcile county board asking foir more and more monety from clubs with forcing every club to be forking out considerable expense in lighting / hiring of all weather for training in January when they will have to be arranging challenge matches in May and July. On the positive side , the decision to finish the league including the finals before start of championship is undoubtedly positive as is continued excellence of the sligogaa site. Best wishes to Mark Boland and Eamomn Mc Munn on their recent appointments to County Board, both are young and have alot to offer. Finally on a small point , nice to see the leagues called Divisions 1 , 2 ,3 ,4 rather than the ridulous 1A and 1B etc.

Far too early to be thinking of championship but I would fancy Curry and Tourlestrane again to be at the top of Division 1 with Easkey and Bunninadden struggling. Would expect Marys and Calry to be up there in a very balanced looking division 2 with Harps and Farnans struggling. Johns, Molaises Gaels and Pats I think will be at the top of division 3 with O Gaels , Cloonacool and Curry struggling . Coolaney should be the banker bet of the season to win division 4 with Coolera just ahead of the rest in again a very balanced looking division where the usual "regradings" of players making a difference.

OakLeaf

I've added a new Live Scores feature to GAA Radio. If you're at any Sligo club games it'd be good if you could text score updates to 447624804328. This service is free for everyone to view at http://www.gaaradio.com/scores/liveScores.jsp . Thanks.

Owenmoresider

Guest  11:37:25 AM Viewing the topic Sligo Club Football & Hurling

Go on, don't be shy.... :P

In other news, looks like our game won't be on tomorrow. Will get around to it sometime I'm sure.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Teeling Gael on February 13, 2008, 12:30:32 PM
To be honest am finding it extremely hard to work up much enthiusiasm for Club football in February with 3 weeks off in May and another 3 in late July !! Our chairmans address urging people to play their football in Spring and Summer doesnt quite ring through with gaps like those in peak footballing months. Also find it hard to reconcile county board asking foir more and more monety from clubs with forcing every club to be forking out considerable expense in lighting / hiring of all weather for training in January when they will have to be arranging challenge matches in May and July. On the positive side , the decision to finish the league including the finals before start of championship is undoubtedly positive as is continued excellence of the sligogaa site. Best wishes to Mark Boland and Eamomn Mc Munn on their recent appointments to County Board, both are young and have alot to offer. Finally on a small point , nice to see the leagues called Divisions 1 , 2 ,3 ,4 rather than the ridulous 1A and 1B etc.

Far too early to be thinking of championship but I would fancy Curry and Tourlestrane again to be at the top of Division 1 with Easkey and Bunninadden struggling. Would expect Marys and Calry to be up there in a very balanced looking division 2 with Harps and Farnans struggling. Johns, Molaises Gaels and Pats I think will be at the top of division 3 with O Gaels , Cloonacool and Curry struggling . Coolaney should be the banker bet of the season to win division 4 with Coolera just ahead of the rest in again a very balanced looking division where the usual "regradings" of players making a difference.
They have left things clear for county matters, plus any games that have been left to be played. No doubt there will be a few of those, a whole round maybe if the weather turns again. The comments on playing in spring/summer don't tally with playing the U-20 in the depths of November, when noone can be bothered. In the past the club scene overran into that period which made it OK, but now it's getting finished up earlier so the gap doesn't help things. The aim to finish the league early is good, either have a few rounds on after the C'ship or none at all, but leaving one round that mainly will go unplayed is no good to anyone. The change to Divs 1-5 makes sense, and embarrasses Mullinabreena, so it's all good. ;)

Can't see much changing in D1, Curry, T'strane and Harps leading the pack again. Interesting to see how Coolera and Tubber fare this time. Surely both ccan't continue the yo-yo ways, and they will be better this year I'd expect. Not good news for the other teams. Ballymote were 'best of the rest' last time, can't afford to slip in any way. If McTernan/McGowan/Lyons are absent often it will hurt them, though Munds is back into the fold. Bunnies may be in trouble, need to seriously improve on last year, hard to see how they can. Easkey will have it tough, again not much coming through like Ballymote and Bunninadden. Agree that it could be Easkey and Bunninadden to go.

D2 - if Mary's have any self-respect they'll be out of this division in no time. They should have enough to go up. Difficult to know who else will go up. Castleconnor are gone back a bit, Shams are drifting along aimlessly, and Drumcliffe faded badly last year. Calry might come through but they aren't great shakes either, and would come straight back down. Geevagh will show well enough, might do enough to survive. Harps, weakened on the older version, should go down, hard to know who else will do.

D3 - John's will go up if they treat the league with any respect, rather than playing the victim. Were never up to much in the league bar 2006, so they can't be complaining. Enniscrone will be in contention with the North Sligo combination close by. Pat's will be improved to some degree, but Kilgallen has transferred I believe, will be a big loss. Michael's could struggle, a few lads gone on their travels, and a hangover from last year (or last weekend even). Us? Who knows what we will do. 6th position will do fine. Curry could be competitive enough, but Cloonacool will be up against it.

D4 - Mullinabreena might win a league game this time (none since June 06!), even maybe a few. Will stroll through it. Coolera will aim to get back it up. With a settled lineup they could. Difficult to know what the other second strings will be like, Mary's may improve a bti. Ballisodare will be their usual useless selves. One to go down here, St. Molaise Gaels probably.

baoithe

OMS is it Trevor Kilgallen that's transferred? Where to? I know he's a prison officer now.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: baoithe on February 16, 2008, 05:32:55 PM
OMS is it Trevor Kilgallen that's transferred? Where to? I know he's a prison officer now.
Celbridge in Kildare, according to the GAA website. Lists the cross-county transfers on the site FWIW.

Opening games in the warm-up comps today. Ours was off:

Group:  Group A

Round 1

Owenmore Gaels           0-0           St Patricks                           0-0 (game off)
          St Molaise Gaels            3-11          Enniscrone                          0-8

Group:  Group B

Round 1
          Curry                         0-0           Cloonacool                           0-0
          St Michaels                  0-0           St Johns                             0-0

McCarrick Garages - Kiernan Cup

Round 1
          Geevagh                     1-9           Shamrock Gaels                    0-10
          St Farnans                   1-4           St Marys                             2-10

Round 1
          Castleconnor                2-17          Eastern Harps                       2-1
          Drumcliffe Rosses Pt      0-10          Calry/St Josephs                   1-10

Sligo Estates - Pick N Choose

Round 1
          Tourlestrane                0-8           Coolera/Strandhill                 2-11
          Tubbercurry                 2-10          Bunninadden                       1-10

Round 1
          Curry                         4-10           Ballymote                           2-7
          Easkey                       1-5           Eastern Harps                       0-8

Round 1
          Ballisodare                   0-0           St Michaels                          0-0
          Coolaney/Mullinabreena  0-0           St Marys                             0-0

Round 1
          Calry/St Josephs           0-0           St Farnans                           0-0 (game off)
          Coolera/Strandhill         0-0           St Molaise Gaels                    0-0

Owenmoresider

Round 1

Curry                         1-6           Cloonacool                           2-10
          St Michaels                  0-5           St Johns                             3-12

Round 1

Ballisodare                   0-2           St Michaels                          2-8
          Coolaney/Mullinabreena  1-7           St Marys                             1-4

Round 1

Calry/St Josephs           0-0           St Farnans                           0-0 (game off)
          Coolera/Strandhill         1-3           St Molaise Gaels                    1-12

Owenmoresider

I see Farnan's second string have pulled out of D4. Surprised at that tbh. What's not surprising is that tourlestrane have taken their place - and that ain't good news for us either.

Owenmoresider

Weekend results, opening round of league action in the 4 divisions:

Sligo Park Hotel - League Division 1
Round  1

Ballymote                    1-11          Bunninadden                         1-8
          Coolera/Strandhill          0-6           Tourlestrane                         1-12
          Easkey                       0-0           Curry                                 0-0
          Tubbercurry                 1-10          Eastern Harps                       0-5

EJ Menswear - League Division 2
Round  1

Calry/St Josephs           3-7           St Farnans                           0-7
          Drumcliffe Rosses Pt       1-4           Eastern Harps                       4-12
          Geevagh                     1-11          Castleconnor                        1-9
          Shamrock Gaels            0-11          St Marys                             1-8

Leonard Building Supplies - League Division 3
Round  1

Owenmore Gaels           1-6           Enniscrone                           0-6
          St Michaels                  0-5           St Johns                              2-5
          St Molaise Gaels            0-11          Cloonacool                          0-6
          St Patricks                   1-13          Curry                                 1-8

Murphy & Sons Auctioneers - League Division 4
Round  1

Ballisodare                   0-2           Coolaney/Mullinabreena           4-16
          St Marys                     0-10          St Michaels                          2-10
          St Molaise Gaels            1-7           Coolera/Strandhill                  0-6
          Tourlestrane                 0-0           Calry/St Josephs                   0-0

Huge result for us in beatng Enniscrone, were 0-6 to 0-4 down with a few minutes left, never looked to have any scores in us, but a snap goal and a few points were tagged on after, to give us the points. Vital cos it will be difficult for us this year. They are a fierce dirty shower too, and discipline is non-existent, had a mdifielder sent off in the first half, and lost the heads on more than one occasion. Can't see them getting promoted unless they sort it out, but they are ordinary enough footballers too.

Elsewhere bad defeats in D1 for Coolera and Harps, Tubber could be coming good. Ballymote got a good result too. Good results in D2 for Geevagh and Shams, Drumcliffe must be going back to the old ways going on that scoreline. Michael's supposedly got a hiding off John's, not that result, makes a mockery of things that. Grange and Pat's won as expected. And Ballisodare got slaughtered, now Mullinabreena are clearly above that standard but nonetheless it doesn't excuse getting just two points. Lay off the auld soccer shite is the message, we should heed it too, can't get away with that all spring.

Owenmoresider

Div 4 result - Tourlestrane 3-8 Calry 2-8