Paul McGrane Retires

Started by thebandit, April 08, 2009, 05:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Paul McGrane anounced his retirement at Armagh training last night.

Very few have given what he gave to the jersey, and an absolute gentleman off the field.

Puckoon

Armagh are losing some invaluable experience ahead of the championship if these retirements are true.

mountainboii

Quote from: thebandit on April 08, 2009, 05:36:53 PM

Very few have given what he gave to the jersey, and an absolute gentleman off the field.

Are you just going off what a couple of lads on orchardcounty have 'heard'? I'd hold back on this if that's the case.

bennydorano

Heard this earlier today myself and believe it (unfortunately), had been hearing for a while that his knee was banjaxed.  Dont want to roll out the obits in case it's not true, but in the top 3 Armagh all time greats IMHO, always was a huge huge fan.

thebandit

Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 05:50:37 PM

Are you just going off what a couple of lads on orchardcounty have 'heard'? I'd hold back on this if that's the case.

Absolutely not, I'm not even a member!

Unfortunately it's true - as Benny says the knee is not in great shape. You'll find that there wont be many on here knocking Flappy, and thats a mark of how he carried himself. The unsung hero of Armagh football in the last 10+ years imo.

mountainboii

Quote from: thebandit on April 08, 2009, 06:40:22 PM
Quote from: AFS on April 08, 2009, 05:50:37 PM

Absolutely not, I'm not even a member!

Unfortunately it's true - as Benny says the knee is not in great shape. You'll find that there wont be many on here knocking Flappy, and thats a mark of how he carried himself. The unsung hero of Armagh football in the last 10+ years imo.

Balls, was kinda hoping it was just a silly rumour that someone over there had started  :'(

Midman

Thats a pity.In the last ten minutes when the game needed to be won he was the man to win the hard ball , always a go-to man. I wish him all the best, was a great servant to Armagh

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

jodyb

Sorry to hear the big man is calling it a day. Some sevant to his county. First time I ever saw him was in a railway cup game in Clones against Leinster '94 or '95, I think. I couldn't believe he wasn't a household name. He was fantastic that day.

Joxer

Never be a Armagh midfielder like him!

Total legend and gentleman!

under the bar

Kevin Hughes said that he never enjoyed playing against anyone as much as Paul McGrane as they could punch lumps out of one another without either giving an inch.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: under the bar on April 08, 2009, 10:15:37 PM
Kevin Hughes said that he never enjoyed playing against anyone as much as Paul McGrane as they could punch lumps out of one another without either giving an inch.
That's as close to a compliment that you would give an Armagh man, eh?

McGrane will be missed, he's a legend as others have said.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

fitzroyalty

Sad to hear. Gent and a Legend. Wore his heart on his sleave. Big dent to Armagh's ambitions this year  :'(

comethekingdom

Great footballer alright - credit to his county. Francie and McKeever hung up the boots too I believe!

Our Nail Loney

Not even joking he was in my work today, and I said what about the football and he just laughed and said didnt wanna talk about it... Suppose he is sick talking about it