The Bould Francie

Started by Feckitt, April 01, 2009, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

A very average player who gave his all is how I would describe him. Was ok on decent forwards but any time he was isolated on a top class forward got destroyed. Armagh fans are very quick to mention Jordans "dive" in 03 but they always seem to forget about Francies dive in getting the Cavan player sent off in 04 ulster semi. There was no doubt that day that he wasnt touched. You cant take away though what the man achieved on limited ability - fair play to him.

Puckoon

I thought this was an april fools yesterday.

Fair play to francie, pity there will be no more battles with mugsy with each of them in their prime.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 02, 2009, 06:12:11 PM
A very average player who gave his all is how I would describe him. Was ok on decent forwards but any time he was isolated on a top class forward got destroyed. Armagh fans are very quick to mention Jordans "dive" in 03 but they always seem to forget about Francies dive in getting the Cavan player sent off in 04 ulster semi. There was no doubt that day that he wasnt touched. You cant take away though what the man achieved on limited ability - fair play to him.

Have to agree with that, not the most talented footballer but then again would not try to tell you he was.  Did the simple things right and knew his limitations, enjoyed the crowds reaction to him getting the ball at any stage in the game, anywhere on the pitch, a hero to them. Always made me chuckle.  I'm disappointed at him pulling the plug just as he was starting to become a bit more adventureous and go over the half way line.  What I'd give to see him score a point  :D
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

HalfFitHalfBack

Francie Bellew Honours:
4 All-Ireland Club titles
7 Ulster SFC Club titles
13 Armagh SFC Club titles

1 All-Ireland SFC 2002
1 National Football League 2005
5 USFC 2002, '04, '05, '06, 08

1 Allstar 2003

By God there must be must a serious amount of exceptional footballers in Ireland if this man is only average.

DoYerJob Linesman

Quote from: stew on April 02, 2009, 05:19:17 PM
he might be many thing but a dirty footballer he was and is not.

:D :D :D :D
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Armamike

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on April 02, 2009, 06:12:11 PM

How difficult it must be for you to give any Armagh player a bit of faint praise.
That's just, like your opinion man.

under the bar

Peter Canavan will particularly remember him for the gift of 2 cracked ribs in the first half of the drawn 2005 Ulster Final with a closed fist tackle.

Thankfully despite Francies best efforts the Great was able to return to lead his county to the holy grail for the second time in 3 years.

Undoubtedly a very modest fella off the pitch tho.   Good luck to him and the game will be poorer for his absence.

corn02

I don;t get this limited ability lark?

A great reader of the ball, great awareness, great under the high ball, excellent tackler, very strong. All the attributes of a good defender.

under the bar

They;re probably referring to his skill on the ball Corn.  I'd agree with the attributes you mention tho. 

fitzroyalty

If anything his supposed lesser pace and ability on the ball makes his greatness all the more apparent, in a modern game where speed of thought is key, our Francie could almost always take his time on the ball and get away with it, unlike most defenders who would get cowped. I'd say he's put the fear of God into more forwards than any other player  :P

orangeman

Peter Mc Donnell in today's Irish News says he hasn't been talking to Francie and that he knows nothing about his retirement.

Why hasn't he been talking to him ??

mackers

Quote from: corn02 on April 03, 2009, 09:13:44 AM
I don;t get this limited ability lark?

A great reader of the ball, great awareness, great under the high ball, excellent tackler, very strong. All the attributes of a good defender.
It's Geezer's old mantra, defending isn't seen as a skill in many people's eyes. One of the best "defenders" in modern times as you say corn.
I'll decide's post a few pages back summed it up for me, I would say he would be telling those who are singing his praises to shut up as quick as those numpties (mainly fom Tyrone) who are slagging him.
The Linden incident has been done to death on the board before, the one thing I would say is that Greg Blaney was asked about it in an interview a few days afterwards and he said that Francie only did what any good FB would've have done, protect his square. I'd say he knows a wee bit more about football than a lot of posters on here.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 10:41:25 AM
Peter Mc Donnell in today's Irish News says he hasn't been talking to Francie and that he knows nothing about his retirement.

he might be telling fibbies?? McDonnell at times works in mysterious ways, leave him be

orangeman

Quote from: fitzroyalty on April 03, 2009, 11:44:16 AM
Quote from: orangeman on April 03, 2009, 10:41:25 AM

he might be telling fibbies?? McDonnell at times works in mysterious ways, leave him be

Grand. The Gaelic life headline this moring was Joe Kernan leading the tributes to Francie - he must know something more than Mc Donnell ?.

fitzroyalty

In that case it would appear all communication lines in/out of Mullabawn are down!