Trophy Kids

Started by Drumanee 1, March 27, 2009, 09:09:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drumanee 1

i watched this on cha4 last night and could not believe what i was seeing,it seemed the kids were carrying out the fathers own dreams.one father took his son to a Ferrari garage to show him what he was able to buy when he became world number 1 golfer  :o.
i know these were the extreme but do parents really put pressure on there kids to be successful in sport even though the kids are not interested?

Shamrock Shore

As a young fella I remember being taken to the local pitch, at a time when the preferred method of groundskeeping was of the Bovine variety, by Shamrock Shore Senior. He pointed down to the far goals, (well all I could see was the top of the posts cos of the wicked hill followed by the wicked hollow) and said:

"Son, I dream of the day when you'll be sailing over the 50s over yonder bar"

Screwed me up wicked, so it did. Ended up one day when all we had for a minor match was 15 and I still was a sub  :-[

A Quinn Martin Production

I watched this and some of it was painful viewing.  Felt sorry for the little girl tennis player who looked like she was hating every minute of it.  I also fear for "The Wolf" ::) especially when he actually enters a tournament and finishes 25th, he'll be crushed.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

nifan

Some right f**kers of parents there.
That kid with the ferrairs dad is been give 150/1 that hell win a major and he comes out pleased as punch - the bookies must be loving taking his cash.

The tennis dad was probably the worst - "sometimes its like we dont have a father daughter relationship, its more like business".
Cretin.

Drumanee 1

the kid  with the father caddying for him coming up the 18th and was making mistakes and the auld boy was giving him a rollicking for missing a putt,the kid was so upset he walked away from his father

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: nifan on March 27, 2009, 09:32:15 AM
Some right f**kers of parents there.
That kid with the ferrairs dad is been give 150/1 that hell win a major and he comes out pleased as punch - the bookies must be loving taking his cash.

The tennis dad was probably the worst - "sometimes its like we dont have a father daughter relationship, its more like business".
Cretin.

Yes, he was hoping to get 500/1...he should have been offered at least 10,000/1 but was very happy to accept 150/1 thinking that the bookies were running scared ::)  Brain dead
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

the Deel Rover

It was hard to watch that show last night , none of the kids seemed happy. just looked liked the parents wanted to create the next tiger woods . The pressure that must be on that young girl must be unreal  her father has   "invested" aroung 150k grand on her allready she looked so unhappy.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SidelineKick

These shows are always painful viewing, I paricularly hate the beatuty pagent mothers, 7 and 8 year olds plastered in make up being paraded up and down, fake eye lashes and fake smiles. One thing I must say my mother and father never pushed me to do anything, always encouraged but never pushed.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

muppet

I didn't do what I was encouraged to do (pushed very gently it has to be said) and was fully supported anytime I wanted to do my own thing. I hope I am as flexible as a father.

Some of what is described above is bordering on abuse. Think 'The Magdalene Sisters' and the mental torture endured by the subjects in that film. Is this much different?
MWWSI 2017

Drumanee 1

of course i would love my lad to play for bellaghy and derry as our family are very much a gaa family but i would never force him to play if he didnt want to play, it would be up to him and if he is happy i'm happy.

The Iceman

these people definitely take it to the extreme and it makes for cringe worthy TV.
I really would love little Ice Man to get into MMA.  He is already very very active and likes to wrestle about the floor.  I'd love to have him in wrestling training and then start BJJ when he is ten or eleven.  I'll teach him at home how to box.

In saying all this all I can do is encourage him.  He may want to do ballet LOL and as much as I wouldn't be the biggest fan I will support whatever he wants to do.

Every parent has hopes and dreams for the kids.  They don't always come true but I am proud enough just to be his dad no matter what he does....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

full back

Quote from: The Iceman on March 27, 2009, 01:25:20 PM
Every parent has hopes and dreams for the kids.  They don't always come true but I am proud enough just to be his dad no matter what he does....

:'( :'(

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on March 27, 2009, 01:50:29 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 27, 2009, 01:25:20 PM

:'( :'(

Well mine better fuckin play football or he'll get a good kickin' I'd be of the same opinion, would be proud no matter what he wanted to do including bumming other men.

Reported.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: SidelineKick on March 27, 2009, 10:05:50 AM
These shows are always painful viewing, I paricularly hate the beatuty pagent mothers, 7 and 8 year olds plastered in make up being paraded up and down, fake eye lashes and fake smiles. One thing I must say my mother and father never pushed me to do anything, always encouraged but never pushed.
[/quote

Were you pushed into these beauty pageants yourself sideline?  I'd say they'd be popular round your part of the world
Will we ever see another one?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on March 27, 2009, 03:20:47 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on March 27, 2009, 10:05:50 AM
[/quote

Were you pushed into these beauty pageants yourself sideline?  I'd say they'd be popular round your part of the world

Seem to have a personal gripe against these  :D

My parents refused to enter me into these competitions as it would be unfair to all the other contestants  ;)

Reported.