The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 02, 2020, 02:28:00 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 02, 2020, 09:03:16 AM
Quote from: Taylor on October 01, 2020, 06:35:41 PM
Trump is the president - like him or loathe him.
He was voted in by the American people.

His policies on business and doing everything to keep the economy going/creating jobs are admirable (from the limited knowledge I have so bear in mind it is all IMHO).

His policies on nearly everything else including climate change/BLM etc etc are f**king disgraceful and should be roundly condemned.

I hope that isn't an attempt to come back to be as to whether a good president GIVEN his position on race? You will be back to me later (in the interests of debate and exercising your freedom of speech) on that no doubt?

I would have the gravest doubts about his mastery of economics and whether he deserves any credit in that regard. Hard to prove either way though

Trump is President. Nobody doubts that. He was elected via the current rules. Nobody doubts that. He was elected by a majority of the electorate or even those who voted. Nobody can doubt that. He is the President, properly in position under the rules but does not and did not have majority popular support. Not a complaint. Just a statement of fact

I take it you're missing a 'not' in the bolded part LC?

That would be correct

LCohen

Quote from: Taylor on October 02, 2020, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 02, 2020, 10:58:01 AM
Quote from: Taylor on October 02, 2020, 10:35:13 AM

His policies on business and doing everything to keep the economy going/creating jobs are admirable (from the limited knowledge I have so bear in mind it is all IMHO).

His policies on nearly everything else including climate change/BLM etc etc are f**king disgraceful and should be roundly condemned.

I hope that isn't an attempt to come back to be as to whether a good president GIVEN his position on race? You will be back to me later (in the interests of debate and exercising your freedom of speech) on that no doubt?

I would have the gravest doubts about his mastery of economics and whether he deserves any credit in that regard. Hard to prove either way though

Trump is President. Nobody doubts that. He was elected via the current rules. Nobody doubts that. He was elected by a majority of the electorate or even those who voted. Nobody can doubt that. He is the President, properly in position under the rules but does not and did not have majority popular support. Not a complaint. Just a statement of fact

Not sure what this means?

And again the snide remark about You will be back to me later (in the interests of debate and exercising your freedom of speech) towards anyone who doesnt lambast Trump at every opportunity.

You couldnt make this shit up  ;D  ;D
I invited you to debate Trump in the context of his race position. You don't have to lambaste him. Feel free to defend him if that how you feel on him and race?

I asked what the bit in bold meant as it made zero sense to me.

Who brought race into it or who mentioned defending him on race?

I think that is what you are asking

On the bit in bold I had asked you a question I was just clarifying that your post was an attempt to answer it ie it remains unanswered?

I brought race up (though it's a recurring theme on the thread)?

If you want to know why I brought it up I did so for 2 reasons.
Firstly it's extremely relevant to this thread, especially right now.
Secondly it's a good example of the conduct on this thread. Yes there are examples of poor behaviour but far and away the biggest issue impacting the quality of debate is the failure of people to engage properly in the issue. Just look back at the thread and check for examples of people willing to back Trump but not address the extremely serious allegations against him re race.

So I asked you your view on a very specific issue?

Trust this clarifies

Eamonnca1

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 02, 2020, 07:28:52 AM
This was inevitable I suppose. Think about the amount of people they would meet everyday. Same as boris.
He's a big age, and wouldn't exactly be a picture of good health, so there's always the danger this puts him out of action for a while. It's exactly 2 weeks to the second debate, hard to see that going ahead as planned now.
Expect to see Mike Pence do alot of heavy lifting in the next 2 weeks.

Some people on twitter really not covering themselves in any glory with their reactions either.

Play me the world's smallest violin. I heard reports of people in red states who were celebrating the death of Ruth Bader Ginsberg who are now demanding that liberals show some respect to Trump.

f**k him.

Eamonnca1

"I don't know folks, do you think Hillary could stand up here for an hour?"

Trump on Hillary Clinton when she had pneumonia.

Taylor

Quote from: LCohen on October 02, 2020, 04:20:59 PM
Quote from: Taylor on October 02, 2020, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: LCohen on October 02, 2020, 10:58:01 AM
Quote from: Taylor on October 02, 2020, 10:35:13 AM

Not sure what this means?

And again the snide remark about You will be back to me later (in the interests of debate and exercising your freedom of speech) towards anyone who doesnt lambast Trump at every opportunity.

You couldnt make this shit up  ;D  ;D
I invited you to debate Trump in the context of his race position. You don't have to lambaste him. Feel free to defend him if that how you feel on him and race?

I asked what the bit in bold meant as it made zero sense to me.

Who brought race into it or who mentioned defending him on race?

I think that is what you are asking

On the bit in bold I had asked you a question I was just clarifying that your post was an attempt to answer it ie it remains unanswered?

I brought race up (though it's a recurring theme on the thread)?

If you want to know why I brought it up I did so for 2 reasons.
Firstly it's extremely relevant to this thread, especially right now.
Secondly it's a good example of the conduct on this thread. Yes there are examples of poor behaviour but far and away the biggest issue impacting the quality of debate is the failure of people to engage properly in the issue. Just look back at the thread and check for examples of people willing to back Trump but not address the extremely serious allegations against him re race.

So I asked you your view on a very specific issue?

Trust this clarifies

I didnt at any stage say he was a good president.

My view is that anyone who is racist is wrong - I abhor racism.

Is that view clear enough?

Gmac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 02, 2020, 05:22:50 PM
This was inevitable I suppose. Think about the amount of people they would meet everyday. Same as boris.
He's a big age, and wouldn't exactly be a picture of good health, so there's always the danger this puts him out of action for a while. It's exactly 2 weeks to the second debate, hard to see that going ahead as planned now.

Some people on twitter really not covering themselves in any glory with their reactions either.

Play me the world's smallest violin. I heard reports of people in red states who were celebrating the death of Ruth Bader Ginsberg who are now demanding that liberals show some respect to Trump.

f**k him.
eamon hoping for death again Boris and republicans in red states before, such a caring progressive.

omochain

On your point about Trump doing an admirable job with the economy. I think you may have been propagandized into that belief it is simply not true.

In general the Republicans run their election campaigns on the premise that they are much better at running the economy.  This is not true but they keep saying they are and because they feed it to the voters with a tax cut, people accept it as gospel. It is simply wrong. Democrats are historically better at managing the economy (See US Congress Joint Economic Committee 2016 Report). The reality is most of the tax cuts go to a resoundingly supportive wealthy class who amplify the lie because they want another tax cut. The wealthy also control most of the factors of production so they can puff up the investment numbers during a Republican administration and make people feel wealthy because their 401k or their house is more valuable.
The reality is the Democrats do a much better job with the economy. However they are not so good at the propaganda and their propensity for taking money from the financial services industry lessens their credibility considerably.

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/309cc8e1-b971-45c6-ab52-29ffb1da9bf5/jec-fact-sheet---the-economy-under-democratic-vs.-republican-presidents-june-2016.pdf

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on October 02, 2020, 01:36:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 02, 2020, 01:33:23 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 02, 2020, 01:21:18 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 02, 2020, 01:06:37 PM
Could be a stunt to rescue the doomed campaign to get relected. After a few days he'll  be up bouncing about calling himself supertrump.
Gone from supertramp to supertrump in 7 days. Other than that, all he has got left to rescue his campaign is a madness, the unpredictable threat of the disparate indisciplined ultra right armed thugs.
Trump alleged covid positive, remains in the fake news cubby hole unless he gets seriously sick.

He's completely delusional if he or his associates think that him catching and being lucky enough to beat COVID is something he could boast about. It would also be incredibly offensive to the families of the 210K people who have died in the US, never mind those who have survived with chronic health effects.

There's no upside for him with this news. It was only a few nights ago that he was mocking Joe Biden for wearing a mask, something he has done a number of times before. He and his idiotic followers have held a number of events in recent weeks where basically no one was wearing masks, despite them all being huddled in together in close proximity. He's been implicated in the past week as the leading source of COVID misinformation in the US. Now its all come back to bite him on his substantial arse and he looks like a fool.
His diagnosis could be faked.

To what end though?
"a stunt to rescue the doomed campaign to get relected. After a few days he'll  be up bouncing about calling himself supertrump."

It wouldn't be the first time he faked his medical report and also sought false state of  health report from his medic.
Of course he could have tested positive and get sick.
But if he doesn't get sick, then I suspect an intentional false postive.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Gmac on October 02, 2020, 06:59:45 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 02, 2020, 05:22:50 PM

f**k him.
eamon hoping for death again Boris and republicans in red states before, such a caring progressive.
Poor GMAC. Always getting...

J70

Quote from: Main Street on October 02, 2020, 07:27:31 PM
Could be a stunt to rescue the doomed campaign to get relected. After a few days he'll  be up bouncing about calling himself supertrump.
Gone from supertramp to supertrump in 7 days. Other than that, all he has got left to rescue his campaign is a madness, the unpredictable threat of the disparate indisciplined ultra right armed thugs.
Trump alleged covid positive, remains in the fake news cubby hole unless he gets seriously sick.

He's completely delusional if he or his associates think that him catching and being lucky enough to beat COVID is something he could boast about. It would also be incredibly offensive to the families of the 210K people who have died in the US, never mind those who have survived with chronic health effects.

There's no upside for him with this news. It was only a few nights ago that he was mocking Joe Biden for wearing a mask, something he has done a number of times before. He and his idiotic followers have held a number of events in recent weeks where basically no one was wearing masks, despite them all being huddled in together in close proximity. He's been implicated in the past week as the leading source of COVID misinformation in the US. Now its all come back to bite him on his substantial arse and he looks like a fool.

To what end though?
"a stunt to rescue the doomed campaign to get relected. After a few days he'll  be up bouncing about calling himself supertrump."

It wouldn't be the first time he faked his medical report and also sought false state of  health report from his medic.

Don't see it, on two grounds:

1. Him catching it invalidates his whole downplaying of the importance of masks and his complete utter disregard for social distancing with his campaign events in recent weeks.
2. There's no political advantage to his catching it. If he recovers, so what? He's lucky. More than 200K, talking only of those who died, and not those left with chronic health or economic effects, weren't. He is a vain, crass, self-centred individual who doesn't give two fucks about other people, but even he has a team who come up with campaign tactics and strategy and are bound to be aware that gloating about a recovery is very poor politics in the middle of a pandemic.

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on October 02, 2020, 08:08:58 PM
Quote from: Main Street on October 02, 2020, 07:27:31 PM

To what end though?

Don't see it, on two grounds:

1. Him catching it invalidates his whole downplaying of the importance of masks and his complete utter disregard for social distancing with his campaign events in recent weeks.

And one of the reasons was that he claimed covid was overplayed and now he proves that it was overplayed  and not only that but he's supertrump.

Quote2. There's no political advantage to his catching it. If he recovers, so what? He's lucky. More than 200K, talking only of those who died, and not those left with chronic health or economic effects, weren't. He is a vain, crass, self-centred individual who doesn't give two fucks about other people, but even he has a team who come up with campaign tactics and strategy and are bound to be aware that gloating about a recovery is very poor politics in the middle of a pandemic.
I never claimed there was a political advantage to him catching the virus.  Not in the least and not before an election.

J70

He can't say it was overhyped or overplayed when 210K and counting are dead and hundreds thousands more sickened.

And everything Trump does is calculated to help himself.

sid waddell

Perhaps Trump is planning to fake his own death

His good friend Vince McMahon did it, and McMahon's wife is in Trump's cabinet

So there is precedent there in this regime

Eamonnca1

Quote from: sid waddell on October 02, 2020, 08:57:51 PM
Perhaps Trump is planning to fake his own death

His good friend Vince McMahon did it, and McMahon's wife is in Trump's cabinet

So there is precedent there in this regime

That'd be one way of getting the creditors off his back. I hear Melania can't divorce him because she'd inherit half of his debts, I wonder if there's any truth in that.

Gabriel_Hurl

Linda McMahon isn't in the cabinet.