Muineachán v Cill Dara - Cluain Eois - 15ú Márta 2009

Started by Maguire01, March 08, 2009, 10:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Top of the table clash next week. A win for Monaghan would give us a bit of breathing space at the top.

Before the start of the league i would have thought of this game as one of our easier ones and a great chance to pick up points to maintain Division 2 status. As it turns out, both teams are in a position to push for promotion. Kildare have already played Cork, so on paper, probably have their toughest game behind them - and they were unlucky to come out of that with only one point.

I'm happy we have this one in Clones and i'd be confident that if we get another good game out of McManus, Hughes and Lennon like today, with a better performance up front, we should be able to take points here too.

GrandMasterFlash

Definitely.. Playin in Clones could be the key advantage for us here as McGeeney seems to hav Kildare goin well at the mo.. Having Cork at home is also a big deal for us this year too.. Based on Ronaghan's performance yday surely he'd be pushing for a startin place or should Rory continue in FF? If we're startin to think c'ship maybe a FF line of Freeman, Ronaghan and Woods is the way to go.. The most impressive point for me about yesterday was the fact that the subs changed the game when it seemed to be driftin from us, delighted about that.. McGuigan in the HF line for me I have to say and get Vinny out of FB, although that should happen automatically when JP returns...

Lookin forward to this one..

bingobus

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 09, 2009, 11:17:01 AM
Definitely.. Playin in Clones could be the key advantage for us here as McGeeney seems to hav Kildare goin well at the mo.. Having Cork at home is also a big deal for us this year too.. Based on Ronaghan's performance yday surely he'd be pushing for a startin place or should Rory continue in FF? If we're startin to think c'ship maybe a FF line of Freeman, Ronaghan and Woods is the way to go.. The most impressive point for me about yesterday was the fact that the subs changed the game when it seemed to be driftin from us, delighted about that.. McGuigan in the HF line for me I have to say and get Vinny out of FB, although that should happen automatically when JP returns...
Lookin forward to this one..

Don't expect to see JP back for the league and more than likely the championship as well.

Dinny Breen

Big test for Kildare, we are going quiet well at the moment but to honest Wexford were truly abysmal yesterday but still it was great to rack up 2-16 in those conditions and scoring difference could be very important in the end.

I was impressed by Monaghan against Kerry last year and they have started this year very well, home advantage will swing it I think but Kevin O'Neill and Declan Breennan have been excellent in the full back line so can see it been a tight game maybe 1-8 to 0-9 in favour of Monaghan. The winners will be set up nicely for promotion. Live on TG4 as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

Schkite

This is a crucial game in terms of promotion. Having it at at home is a big plus, Kildare are flying and will be very tough.

I think a full-forward line of Tommy-Ronaghan-Woods should be put out the next day, Raymie did enough yesterday to warrant a spot the next day. And we need to experiment with our options in there, I don't think Benny is a viable option on the square. Also think Paul McGuigan is getting a bit of a raw deal, he deserves to start the next day, I'd like to see him at wing-forward. JP is a big loss, but as I said Vinny is wasted back there. Unfortunately, until JP comes back I don't think Vinny will be moved out. I wonder if Darren Hughes at full-back would be an option? I wouldn't mind seeing him there to see how he gets on with a half-back line of Mansy-Gary-Vinny. But as I say, I don't expect to see that.

As I say it'll be tough, but hopefully home advantage can swing it our way.

Maguire01

I wouldn't like to move Darren Hughes to full-back. He was great yesterday in the half-back line, pushing forward - he might be wasted at full-back. At the same time, i totally agree that Vinny is wasted at full-back.

GrandMasterFlash

Bit of a conundrum re Vinny and Hughes as they're both a bit mobile (and therefore redundant) at FB. I think we need to keep Vinny there as Hughes is developing into a great player in the half-back line. My only concern about Vinny though is his tendancy to commit fouls (more a function of the new rules than anything synical on his part). JP must be bad enough then? I thought it was a run of the mill hamstring injury and should only take about 6 weeks to revover from?? 

Fierce competition for places though which is great to see, novel in the Monaghan camp for some time..

Schkite

Yeah Hughes is playing very well in the half-back line, but I just feel Vinny is very restricted at full-back. As I say, there's alot of options in the half-back line, and it being the league and Hughes still developing as a player, he'll probably stay there given the form he's in. I do expect Vinny to stay at full-back until JP returns. He's still a good full-back when he's playing there consistently, just much better out the field. I had thought a couple of years ago that Banty was moulding Hughes into a full-back to eventually replace JP, but it's apparent now that he'll be the future centre-back. It might be just a bit worrying that we don't have a proper replacement full-back, and looking down the ranks I'm curious as to who will replace JP as the no. 1 full-back when he hangs his boots up(which might not be far away).

thebandit

Hughes played most of the 2nd half at full back yesterday.

Main Street

Great news that the game is live on tv.

I heard that Dick Clerkin is flying in for the games.
Does he look off the pace?

Schkite

The game against Meath on Saturday week is live on telly aswell, Setanta though.

Where's Dick flying in from, is he working overseas again? Funny that our two midfielders are both abroad during the week then!

Main Street

Quote from: Schkite on March 10, 2009, 11:04:18 AM
The game against Meath on Saturday week is live on telly aswell, Setanta though.

Where's Dick flying in from, is he working overseas again? Funny that our two midfielders are both abroad during the week then!
Then it's just Eoin Lennon flying in, my mistake

Schkite

Oh right, thats grand! Thought I'd heard Dick was still in DCU but wasn't sure.

No signs of Lennon being off the pace, very good at the weekend. Hopefully it doesn't have an adverse effect on him in the long term, flying in every weekend is bound to be tiring.

Main Street

It's only from Manchester, afaia. He is doing a post grad at Manchester Univ.

Seeing as the games are on a Sunday and the traveling distance isn't that great, I'd say missing out on the training would be the obstacle.

Schkite

Yeah it's not far away so shouldn't be too much trouble. Thought he was in Liverpool though? Much of a muchness though!