RTE Radio 1 - Sunday Sport with Con Murphy and Jacqui Hurley

Started by This Years Model, March 02, 2009, 02:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This Years Model

I've only listened to this in patches over the last couple of Sundays, but it seems to be a complete disaster of an experiment. They keep talking over each other, yer one doesn't seem to have a clue what she's talking about half the time, and keeps getting tongue-tied - not ideal for live radio I would have thought. It can't be contrived, because there's no way this could pass as chirpy cheeky chappy banter. These two are simply not getting on. Con probably has his nose out of joint for having to co-present something he reckoned he was doing fine by himself ....

Did anyone hear yesterday's show? She reckoned Antrim's win was somewhat of a surprise considering they were 4 goals down at half-time. Excuse me? For the last half-hour the two of them were all over the place.

Bring back Jimmy Magee I say.

This Years Model

RTE, will you please get that woman off the radio. Any time she runs down through scores or updates I'm none the wiser afterwards. It's worse than relying on Aertel. She announced that Cork beat Clare 2-13 to 1-16, after which I had no clue where the points had gone ....

Poor Con must be pulling his hair out. He should try pulling hers. Now I would tune in to hear that.

If this was intended to stem the flow of listeners to Newstalk, they must be going in their thousands by now ....

I think she's from Kilkenny too. Nuff said ....

GalwayBayBoy

AZOffaly

It's brutal stuff.

'We're off to Tralee now'

'No we're not, we're going to Mullingar'.

It's car crash stuff.

dodo

QuoteJacqui Hurley
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Jacqui Hurley

Born Jacqueline Hurley
County Cork

Nationality Irish
Education Media and Communications Degree at University of Limerick
Occupation Sports broadcaster
Employer RTÉ
Title Miss
Website
Jackie Sports Blog
Jacqui Hurley (born in 1984 in County Cork) is an Irish athlete, sports manager, sports broadcaster and chat show host employed by RTÉ. She has played at the highest level in the sports of basketball and camogie and currently manages a junior basketball team. Her television work includes reports for the sports magazine OB Sport,[1] an appearance on the daytime chat show Seoige on 7 November 2008[2], the weekly "60 Sixty" segment on the FAI League of Ireland magazine programme Monday Night Soccer aired on RTÉ Two, where she questions a different footballer each week for sixty seconds[3] and her latest role, as co-presenter of Sunday Sport with Con Murphy on RTÉ Radio 1.

Hurley also presents the sports news on RTÉ Radio 1 and RTÉ 2fm each day[4] and appears on The Colm & Jim-Jim Breakfast Show where her sports blog is a regular feature. Her other social networking sites include a Facebook. She says "you know" a lot.

Contents [hide]
1 Early years
2 Career
3 References
4 External links

[edit] Early years
Hurley grew up in Australia in the 1980s. Her earliest sporting memory is being a four-year-old during the Holland v. Ireland match at the Euro '88.[5] She played basketball for Ireland and camogie for Cork and has since taken on a management role with the Irish under-16 female basketball team.[5]

[edit] Career
Hurley initially spent some time as an intern with CBS Television in Mississippi, United States, after her uncle purchased the job for her.[5] She also worked in local radio beore joining RTÉ in 2006[5] after the completion of a media and communications degree in University of Limerick.[6] She was only supposed to stay with CBS for eight months but she remained for a year, developing her love of sports broadcsting.[5] In early 2009, Hurley took over as the co-presenter of Sunday Sport alongside Con Murphy on RTÉ Radio 1.[5] She also presents the

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacqui_Hurley

cornafean

Quote from: This Years Model on March 23, 2009, 02:15:12 PM
Poor Con must be pulling his hair out. He should try pulling hers. Now I would tune in to hear that.

Con was all over the shop himself yesterday. He got caught out not knowing the result of one particular game when doing a results round-up, even though the same result had been read out minutes earlier. Con then said he had missed it as he "was doing something else at the time" or something like that. Pathetic stuff.

Quote from: This Years Model on March 23, 2009, 02:15:12 PM

If this was intended to stem the flow of listeners to Newstalk, they must be going in their thousands by now ....
Now there's an idea  :)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

T Fearon

Listened to a bit of this yesterday in the car after the Kildare Armagh game. No harm to her but she made a complete balls up in her introduction to the Cork V Wexford football report, saying the Corkmen had returned from strike action to-day. In fairness she apologised aftrewards and said that she was referring to the hurlers. Also she has a voice so deep that she makes the singer Rose Marie sound soprano like.

Thing is she used to do the "SixTy seconds with Jackie Hurley" last year on Monday Night Soccer (where she would ask a player or manager a load of questions in 60 seconds) which was quite funny. Think she is more at home with soccer

Bogball XV

QuoteHurley initially spent some time as an intern with CBS Television in Mississippi, United States, after her uncle purchased the job for her
???

magpie seanie

She was in Limerick on Saturday reporting from Young Munsters club and interviewed a couple of lads after the Grand Slam win. There was a lad with a devilish smirk on his face the other side of her and sure enough when the interview was near over he grabbed her and planted one on her cheek. She didn't know whether to go with it or resist for fear he'd go further!

Drumanee 1

if you think jacqui hurley is bad you should listen to jackie mccann reading the weather ::)

comethekingdom

leave the Castleisland woman out of this discussion please!

HalfFitHalfBack

Quote from: T Fearon on March 23, 2009, 04:00:55 PM
she made a complete balls up in her introduction to the Cork V Wexford football report, saying the Corkmen had returned from strike action to-day. In fairness she apologised aftrewards and said that she was referring to the hurlers.

I noticed that too when were driving home. Seemed like a real amateur operation.

Quote from: Drumanee 1 on March 23, 2009, 04:52:36 PM
you should listen to jackie mccann reading the weather ::)

I've have to mute or switch channel every time she comes on, she has a voice that would cut steel. I'd rather have tinfoil on my filings than listen to her!