Casement will not host Rules game

Started by Maguire01, February 17, 2009, 08:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

QuoteCasement will not host Rules game  

Casement Park has missed out in its bid to host the first of this year's International Rules matches between Ireland and Australia on 24 October.

The game will instead be staged at Pairc na nGael in Limerick.

The GAA's Central Council met last weekend and discussed other applications from Kingspan Breffni Park and Portlaoise, as well as Casement.

The second International Rules Test will be played at Croke Park on Saturday 31 October.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7894935.stm

Casement is far from perfect, but i feel it would have been good for Belfast to get this game.

pintsofguinness

Maybe they could have another hunger strike rally instead. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Mickeys beard

Have to say, while I would love to see Casement get it, I think it suits Limerick to get it this year more than anywhere else.  With the success of Munster Rugby and the new Thomond park, the GAA seems to be playing second fiddle.  Coupled with the fact that fifteen thousand people (in what is a small city) here are going to be walking the streets looking for jobs when Dell finally close in the summer, I welcome the decision. 
Boil the Drawers!

Maguire01

Quote from: Mickeys beard on February 17, 2009, 09:03:14 PM
Have to say, while I would love to see Casement get it, I think it suits Limerick to get it this year more than anywhere else.  With the success of Munster Rugby and the new Thomond park, the GAA seems to be playing second fiddle.  Coupled with the fact that fifteen thousand people (in what is a small city) here are going to be walking the streets looking for jobs when Dell finally close in the summer, I welcome the decision. 
But IR isn't GAA.

cadhlancian

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 17, 2009, 08:23:32 PM
maybe they could have another hunger strike rally 
[/b]what a w**ker ::)

Mickeys beard

Whilst not being Gaa, IR showcases our best GAA athletes, is organised by the GAA, is inextricably linked to the GAA and will be attended by GAA fans.  Oh, and the Gaelic grounds is a GAA stadium.   
Boil the Drawers!

pintsofguinness

cavanmaniac

God help anyone trying to get away from the gaelic grounds after the match. Put 10,000 in there and it's a nightmare trying to get through traffic afterwards :(

Orior

That's a shame about Casement. I wonder will we here any of the reasoning behind the decision.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

fred the red

Anti nordie bias yet again. Maybe casement will take this kick up the backside, and improve their facilities to a decent standard so they can not be overlooked again.....and they will be in a position to compete for Ulster finals.

pintsofguinness

Casement got what they deserve, they went against the GAA and held a hunger strike rally and, if memory serves, got away without any punishment.  They're not owed any favours.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 17, 2009, 09:41:54 PM
Casement got what they deserve, they went against the GAA and held a hunger strike rally and, if memory serves, got away without any punishment.  They're not owed any favours.

To be fair they were stuck between a rock and a hard place on that one...

Maguire01

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 17, 2009, 09:45:02 PM

They did go one way though.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 17, 2009, 09:46:32 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 17, 2009, 09:45:02 PM

They did go one way though.
Exactly, as I say, maybe they'll get another rally. 

saffron sam2

Correct decision IMO re. Casement Park, sadly. The hunger strike rally cheapshots are totally irrelevant to the decision taken.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet