Roger's History

Started by Rossfan, February 12, 2009, 06:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

I agree with Roger. The nature of such threads adds little (if anything) to the board.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2009, 08:12:37 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 12, 2009, 10:44:11 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 12, 2009, 08:24:50 PM
I'd be careful here and let sleeping dogs lie....
Didn't the Daddy Mod shut down the Southern Irish thread an hour or so ago and said he'd go bananas if anyone started up a  new thread to continue with the same kind of shite squabbling discussion?

added to the fact that these people just wont accept reality !
Rossfan - yer wasting your time!
:D
I left it after about five pages but having just read the last 2 pages I'd say the mod did you a favour. Call it a discussion board 8 count.
while it was annoying, and I'd say painful to read I wouldnt have thought it was too bad apart from being cringeworthy for deliberate lack of understanding by some - but you say it was against rule 8 ? Surely would have been rule 9 but recently these things have been allowed on other threads !?

SS2 - this kind of thing is mentioned yet passed over on multiple occasion while worse aspects of the past are routinely discussed , I'd agree with carribear though - plus the poster in the thread title did ask that a 'seperate' thread be started to discuss this so I presume rossfan has done the needful, but I see that the reverse gear is in full use already....

Tony Baloney

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 13, 2009, 09:16:22 AM
I agree with Roger. The nature of such threads adds little (if anything) to the board.
They just become 30 pages of I'm right, you're wrong which is futile. However like buses there will be another one along in a minute!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2009, 09:23:17 AM
They just become 30 pages of I'm right, you're wrong which is futile. However like buses there will be another one along in a minute!
true enough

Roger

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2009, 09:19:32 AM
the poster in the thread title did ask that a 'seperate' thread be started to discuss this so I presume rossfan has done the needful
That was before gaaboard's intervention.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2009, 09:19:32 AMbut I see that the reverse gear is in full use already....
I await gaaboard's clarification, however it's the immaturity behind the thread title and comments like this of your's that make discussions deteriorate rapidly.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Roger on February 13, 2009, 09:27:21 AM
the poster in the thread title did ask that a 'seperate' thread be started to discuss this so I presume rossfan has done the needful

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2009, 09:19:32 AMbut I see that the reverse gear is in full use already....
I await gaaboard's clarification, however it's the immaturity behind the thread title and comments like this of your's that make discussions deteriorate rapidly.
with all the other stuff that is brought up on here (death, killing, various non pc items), how would any topic be off the radar in terms of being eligible for debateespecially one of actual history?
OK as Tony B points out, its most likely going to end up an 'I'm right, you are wrong' type of discussion, but I would hope that people wont hide behind the facade of what you are saying above to not finally create a debate on this as its been skirted around by 'some' for as long as I can remember.
You , if you recall, asked for this to be started in a seperate topic, so the floor is open to you....

passedit

Generally i'd agree however I'd be most interested in fred the Red's response to the question put him.

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 12, 2009, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: fred the red on February 12, 2009, 06:55:16 PM

Oh rite. I put him on my ignore list, i dont get to see any of his posts.

How do you do that, I only thought it was for PMs

Now that would greatly enhance my reading of these boards.
Don't Panic

Main Street

The thread title is immature and too personal.
Roger has his opinions but afair he expresses them rationally and within the boundaries of board rules.
The thread title is not appropriate, more of a pĂ­sstake and if  I were Roger, by the grace of God :) I would avoid getting involved.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2009, 09:36:35 AM

with all the other stuff that is brought up on here (death, killing, various non pc items), how would any topic be off the radar in terms of being eligible for debateespecially one of actual history?
OK as Tony B points out, its most likely going to end up an 'I'm right, you are wrong' type of discussion, but I would hope that people wont hide behind the facade of what you are saying above to not finally create a debate on this as its been skirted around by 'some' for as long as I can remember.
You , if you recall, asked for this to be started in a seperate topic, so the floor is open to you....
But LB what I saw on the 2 pages I read wasn't history. It was your opinion that the ra were ideologues whereas the counter argument was that they were a murderous band of criminals. That's opinion not history. I didn't read the other pages so I can't comment but I'm all for a bit of history on the board. The wife studied irish history at university and now teaches it so I've shown no interest in it for ten years!

Zapatista

Roger is History? Did he get banned?

Roger

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: hardstation on February 12, 2009, 11:00:52 PM
Why was it locked? A few people having a discussion about what they like to discuss, on a discussion board.

What next? The Antrim Club Football thread will be locked because the mod isn't from Antrim and doesn't want to read about Antrim Club Football?

It should be locked - but solely on the grounds of the standard of the football.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2009, 10:21:51 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 13, 2009, 09:36:35 AM

But LB what I saw on the 2 pages I read wasn't history. It was your opinion that the ra were ideologues whereas the counter argument was that they were a murderous band of criminals. That's opinion not history. I didn't read the other pages so I can't comment but I'm all for a bit of history on the board. The wife studied irish history at university and now teaches it so I've shown no interest in it for ten years!
thats a fairly good and accurate depiction alright !
naw Tony,
I wasnt saying that that prev thread was 'historic' in its content, I was saying that we 'could' have a thread that actually discusses the historic element, though I think we would all find it unlikely that it would avoid falling into the same old downward spiral though

lynchbhoy

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on February 13, 2009, 12:21:38 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 12, 2009, 11:00:52 PM
Why was it locked? A few people having a discussion about what they like to discuss, on a discussion board.

What next? The Antrim Club Football thread will be locked because the mod isn't from Antrim and doesn't want to read about Antrim Club Football?

It should be locked - but solely on the grounds of the standard of the football.
are you talking about the prev history of Antrim football or the current standard under new and 'all improved ' management?

playwiththewind1st

You could probably get away with ignoring most of the last 50 years or so.