Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebandit

Quote from: screenexile on June 18, 2009, 02:44:56 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 18, 2009, 02:39:00 PM
Looking at that bench they are very light on cover outside 10 and that leads me to believe that Hook would have been there instead of O'Gara if he was fit.

Fair point muppet. O'Gara hasn't done enough for me on this Tour to be fair and I think Jones was always going to get the nod over him. O'Gara offers frail defence and no option as a runner and even in the games he's played O'Gara's kicking from hand hasn't been great and Jones is able to control a game just as well as O'Gara so I think it was a no brainer really.

A very good split between the English, Irish and Welsh with 5 a piece from Ireland and England and 6 from Wales. Having seen the team named and the subs I am confident the Lions can do well and I'm sure Gatland and Edwards have held plenty back to be unleashed for the First Test that will have the Boks thinking. Also the Lions should be much sharper having played so many warm up games and the Boks having only had one warm up against Namibia. If they want any hope of winning the series this game needs to be won when South Africa will not be at their optimum level from the start.

Roll on Saturday!

I think you have one too many englishmen!

So too does that team imo..... Monye is suspect defensively, and Mears is going to be eaten alive.

Donnellys Hollow

G'wan the Bull! Tis your field.

Don't think our friend Stephen Jones is going to be too happy with that call up!  ;D
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

CiKe

Not too much to argue about really. I have a feeling that if Ferris had been there, it would have been himself and Williams and Wallace would have missed out. I'm not sure about the Monye hype at all - lightning quick and good in the tackle when he is there, but his positioning is shambolic on occasions. I thought he was brutal againt Western Province but we had Stuart Barnes ogling over the try that Bowe laid on a plate for him - you'd have expected any club wing to finish that one.

In the Rog vs Jones debate, ordinarily I would go for Jones as think he is jsut more solid but I have to say that I think if they had picked purely on form then Rog should have got the nod - too much being read into the Golden Lions game I think.

Not sure whether I'd have Kearney or Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald hasn't set the world alight but I think he is a good finisher and solid defensively - I'd probably have him on the wing and Kearney on the bench.

gallsman

Anyone have an online source to watch this on? Was going to watch it in work but they're all watching the shagging golf!

tyroneboi

First test just under an hour away - cant wait!!

Try this gallsman: http://www.justin.tv/live24live

gallsman

Quote from: tyroneboi on June 20, 2009, 01:06:01 PM

Cheers. When did justin start working again or does it just cause problems when I'm down south?

tyroneboi

Quote from: gallsman on June 20, 2009, 01:10:40 PM
Quote from: tyroneboi on June 20, 2009, 01:06:01 PM

Cheers. When did justin start working again or does it just cause problems when I'm down south?

I have never had a problem with it though I haven't used it in a while so there might have been problems.

Confident enough for the Lions today reckon they could just sneak it but lose today and it will be hard to avoid another whitewash in the series.

gallsman

Anyone else just lost their audio?

DennistheMenace

gallsman

Try down to Monye. Get Kearney on right now!

DennistheMenace

Schkite

DennistheMenace

Schkite

A great tackle, didn't touch down.

gallsman

Stupid, stupid tackle from Croft. What the hell did he think he was doing?