17 - Jones
18 - Sheridan
19 - O'Callaghan
20 - Wallace
21 - Hook
22 - Kearney

No scrum half on the bench?

Schkite

No need for 2 props on the bench. Swap Ellis for A Jones and that would be the squad I'd expect. Maybe Hines for DOC too but that depends on the game today.

Hoof Hearted

all 3 scrum halves are actually not 100% fit. Blair is to have a late fitness test today to see if he can play. i read somewhere that Shane Williams was the only fit cover for Blair, but now he is out sick too. ( I didnt know Williams was a scrum half, must have been a whike ago)
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

GaillimhIarthair

The wait is over! After weeks of suspense the Springboks have named their team for the first Test against the British and Irish Lions. Ruan Pienaar starts at fly-half, Heinrich Brüssow at flank and Frans Steyn at full-back.

Springbok coach Peter de Villiers on Tuesday named a squad of 22 players with a combined total of 707 caps for the first Test at the Absa Stadium Durban.

John Smit, the most experienced member of the team, will lead the Springboks out in their first duel against the British & Irish Lions since 1997.

Sixteen players in the match 22 participated in the Springboks' previous test, against England at Twickenham in November 2008.

The Test will be the 44th encounter between the Springboks and the Lions since 1891. South Africa has won 21, the Lions 16 and 6 Tests have been drawn.

The Test will be the fourth between the Springboks and the Lions to be played in Durban. The Springboks have won two of the previous three (1924 and 1962) and the Lions one (1997).

Free State Cheetahs flanker Heinrich Brüssow will make his first Test start after earning his first cap as from the bench against England in November 2008.

Blue Bulls fly-half Morné Steyn is the only uncapped player in the squad of 22.

Free State Cheetahs flanker Juan Smith needs one try to become the sole record holder for the most tries as a Springbok flanker. The same goes for Sharks front rower Bismarck du Plessis in the hooker position.

South Africa: 15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Adi Jacobs, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 John Smit (c), 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: 16 Gurthrö Steenkamp, 17 Deon Carstens, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Danie Rossouw, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Jaque Fourie, 22 Morné Steyn.

Date: Saturday, June 20

Venue: ABSA Stadium Durban

Kick-off: 15.00 (13.00 GMT)

Referee: Bryce Lawrence (New Zealand)

Assistant referees: Stuart Dickinson, Vinny Munro (New Zealand)

Television match official: Christophe Berdos (France)

Assessor: Tappe Henning (South Africa)

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: gawa316 on June 16, 2009, 12:04:35 PM
No scrum half on the bench?

oops - i thought i was having too many options on the bench! yeah, ellis for jones.

Joxer

screenexile

Absolute shite from the Lions. Southern Kings are totally bossing the game from open play and their defence and physicality is excellent.

Lions kicking, rucking, passing and decision making has been appaling. Not too many of the lads on show will make an impact on the 22 for Saturday!!

Hoof Hearted

well everyone reckons Fitzgerald or Monye will be left wing, with Shane Williams off form and sick, maybe Rob Kearney is in with a shout
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Not sure I think Kearney may have done himself a favour not playing today he's a definite option for the Wing now. If I hat to pick between Fitzgerald and Monye though I think Fitzgerald is a better all round player with a better kicking game and a bit better through the hands whereas Monye is more of a speedy battering ram who can finish you tries.

bcarrier

Both wingers were average at best today . Kearney has played better than either but cant see them changing it now.

Earls was very good at times today and until a horrible missed tackle near the end thought he might even have played himself onto bench.

DOC and Shaw both played well. I wouldnt have AWJ ahead of either. ROG has played ( and tackled) well on this tour but cant see him starting.

Gnevin

The IRB really should of hyped this game. The first Lions game to be played on a beach.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on June 16, 2009, 02:59:42 PM
well everyone reckons Fitzgerald or Monye will be left wing, with Shane Williams off form and sick, maybe Rob Kearney is in with a shout
Fitz is 3rd  after Bowe and Moyne.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

erne bhoy

To echo the sentiments of some of the other lads, jones is an absolute p***k. Leaving poc out, wtf? I'm pretty sure I also remember Reading some load of balls by him before the tour that he wouldn't even take bod. You really would have to question very deeply whether he was taking the piss. Anyone else remember this or does my memory fail me?

Donnellys Hollow

He'd been advocating leaving O'Driscoll out since the turn of the year. Even after the 6N he didn't select BOD in his team of the tournament. He eventually softened his stance after the latter stages of the Heineken Cup and the subsequent injury to Shanklin.

I'd say Jones would still be arguing against BOD's inclusion if Shanklin was on tour. The guy is a complete gobsh1te.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Roger

Quote from: erne bhoy on June 17, 2009, 12:31:23 AM
To echo the sentiments of some of the other lads, jones is an absolute p***k. Leaving poc out, wtf? I'm pretty sure I also remember Reading some load of balls by him before the tour that he wouldn't even take bod. You really would have to question very deeply whether he was taking the piss. Anyone else remember this or does my memory fail me?
O'Connell hasn't had a great tour so far tbf. But to suggest leaving out the captain is bizarre and  completely outrageous by Jones.  Prior to 6N he had a point he had a point about O'Driscoll.  Post-6N never mind the Euro Cup O'Driscoll was more or less guaranteed a Test spot if he kept any sort of form whatsoever.  He wasn't so good last year (think he admits his form has turned too) but he has had an absolutely outstanding year.  Just need three big games from him now  8)