Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Makes sense. Elsom has played for the Wallabies, and they're pretty keen to get him back! Flutey played for NZ all the way up according to Wiki and played against the Lions!!

AZOffaly

I may be badly off base on this, but I don't think Flutey can have played at senior level for NZ. He may have played against the lions for one of the provinces over there.

As for Elsom (I always call him Elstrom for some reason) I thought I was raving for a minute. I knew he was capped by the Aussies. He cannot ever play for IReland or the Lions in that case. Unless i am completely deluded.

stephenite

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2009, 01:10:46 PM
I may be badly off base on this, but I don't think Flutey can have played at senior level for NZ. He may have played against the lions for one of the provinces over there.

No, you're spot on - he did play for the NZ Maoiris so I'd imagine it was with them when he played against the Lions, never capped at Senior level, only underage as you said.

If he plays in this tour he'll  be the first to play both for and against the Lions according to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riki_Flutey

Gnevin

Shanklin faces anxious Lions wait
Thursday, 7 May 2009 16:17

Ireland's Gordon D'Arcy may yet end up in the Lions squad after it emerged that an injury to Wales centre Tom Shanklin could see him miss the tour to South Africa.

Shanklin injured his shoulder late on in the Cardiff Blues Magners League victory win against the Newport-Gwent Dragons last night. He was taken for an X-Ray after the game and will now have an MRI scan to assess the extent of the damage.

The injury is believed to be a dislocation of the shoulder.

A Lions statement said: 'The Cardiff Blues medical team will hopefully have a more detailed update available by the weekend.'

Ex-Wales international Bob Norster, who is now the Cardiff Blues chief executive, added: 'He has taken a nasty clout to the shoulder, they are just assessing him and getting him down to the hospital for an X-ray and we will know a bit more later on.

'We will make a proper assessment there with the medics.'

D'Arcy's omission from the original squad came as a surprise to the South Africans, whose coach Pieter De Villiers had rated the 41-times capped Ireland international the best inside centre in the world.

D'Arcy's form for Ireland in the latter part of the RBS 6 Nations, and his strong performance for Leinster in their Heineken Cup semi-final victory over Munster on Saturday also make him a strong candidate.

Scotland centre Max Evans, Wales' out-half and inside centre James Hook and Wasps player Josh Lewsey, who has retired from international rugby, are others who could enter the frame.#

But the Lions will be keen not to see another member of the original touring party exit the squad. Shanklin is the second member of the original Lions party named by Ian McGeechan to go on the doubtful list in recent days.

Alan Quinlan faces a disciplinary hearing over an incident involving contact with the face of Leinster second row Leo Cullen during that Munster defeat to Leinster on Saturday and must avoid a long suspension to retain his place in the touring group.

Quinlan's Munster team-mate Tomás O'Leary is definitely out of the Tour after breaking his leg during Munster's Magners League match against Llanelli in April.

A replacement scrum-half has yet to be called into the squad, although Scotland captain Mike Blair is the favourite to get the nod.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2009/0507/shanklint.html
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

muppet

Shanklin's out according to the 9 O'Clock News.
MWWSI 2017

ExiledGael

Mystic muppet?
Would like to see D'Arcy given the chance. Awful for Shanklin but if anyone deserves to benefit from injury it should be D'Acy.

The Pundit

Quote from: The Pundit on April 22, 2009, 09:28:15 PM
The fact that Riki Flutey is going on a lions tour as a possible starter in the test side tells you the large gulf in standard at the minute between the northern and southern hemisphere. Actually he is the 1st guy to play against and for the lions (presuming he does!)as he came on for the wellington lions on the NZ tour in 05.
SA to win 2-1 and thats being kind.
Quote from: stephenite on May 04, 2009, 01:13:55 PM

No, you're spot on - he did play for the NZ Maoiris so I'd imagine it was with them when he played against the Lions, never capped at Senior level, only underage as you said.

If he plays in this tour he'll  be the first to play both for and against the Lions according to this

great to see someone reads my posts!
shanks out d'arcy in
would i be right in saying that alot of this years lions are being picked not on 6N form but on club/province form? IMO this is due to the rising standard and interest in the Eoro cup

Tankie

D'arcy has to get the call, that will be 6 Lions for Munster and 5 for Leinster - not too bad now  ;)
Grand Slam Saturday!

Roger

Quote from: Tankie on May 07, 2009, 11:14:28 PM
D'arcy has to get the call, that will be 6 Lions for Munster and 5 for Leinster - not too bad now  ;)
D'Arcy and O'Driscoll were superb on Saturday and deserves a call.  Shanklin would have been back up to O'Driscoll imo so at #13 we're a bit light now.  I don't think D'Arcy will make the test team at 12 though.

stephenite

Quote from: The Pundit on May 07, 2009, 09:47:18 PM
Quote from: The Pundit on April 22, 2009, 09:28:15 PM
The fact that Riki Flutey is going on a lions tour as a possible starter in the test side tells you the large gulf in standard at the minute between the northern and southern hemisphere. Actually he is the 1st guy to play against and for the lions (presuming he does!)as he came on for the wellington lions on the NZ tour in 05.
SA to win 2-1 and thats being kind.
Quote from: stephenite on May 04, 2009, 01:13:55 PM

great to see someone reads my posts!
shanks out d'arcy in
would i be right in saying that alot of this years lions are being picked not on 6N form but on club/province form? IMO this is due to the rising standard and interest in the Eoro cup

Sorry about that Pundit - missed your post!!

Hound

Mike Blair has replaced Tomas O'Leary

McGeechan:
QuoteThe selectors and I have had plenty of time to review the situation in terms of a replacement scrum half and were in agreement that Mike Blair should replace Tomas. He was on our reserve list for such an eventuality.

Mike is an excellent addition to the British and Irish Lions squad. As a national captain he is well respected by his peers and his 58 tests for Scotland mark him as a very capable and experienced scrum half.

ceol agus peil

Alan Quinlan will miss the Lions tour after his citing for eye-gouging is upheld

That will be Tom Croft on the plane..
Sent from my iphone

Gnevin

Quote from: ceol agus peil on May 13, 2009, 06:20:39 PM
Alan Quinlan will miss the Lions tour after his citing for eye-gouging is upheld

That will be Tom Croft on the plane..

Feel sorry for him but its a case of don't do the crime if you don't want to do the time
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ExiledGael

Don't think he can have many complaints. Remarkable goodwill shown towards him by fellow pros and the media, I shudder to think what sort of reaction an incident like this would garner in any other sport.
He seems to play on the edge and this time he overstepped it, by quite a bit. Unfortunate that he misses the highlight of his career but a bit like Scholes for Man Utd in 1999, he plays close to the line and knows the risks well enough at this stage.

Declan

My Holidays - by Quinnie
Thanks for all the support, lads. Big shout out to Leo, Drico, and everyone else who spoke up for me. I'm going to take a little break now, head over to England to do a bit of manhunting. Did I say manhunting? Hunting, I meant hunting. Manly hunting. Yes, that's what I meant. Hunting, in a manly manner. Like a man.

Heh heh, slip of the tongue, there, is all. There is no need for any increase in security around the offices of Sky Sports Headquarters, or any of their employees. Specifically any employees responsible for the decision to endlessly replay a certain incident from a certain game. Endlessly. Again and again and again and again. Sure weren't they only doing their job? Its not like they had some agenda, now, is it? Nahhhhhh, no agenda at all. Just, doing their job.

I will be as surprised as anyone if something happens to them. Shocked, would be the word for how I will feel. If something, unfortunate, was to happen to them, like. Which I'm sure it won't. Probably. I mean, whose to say? Accidents happen all the time. Shocking, bloody, accidents. With nails, and, I dunno, metal sheeting of some kind. Electricity. Deadly, so it is. You can drown in two inches of water, I hear. But, really, what are the chances?

Look, let me be clear. They should sleep soundly in their beds. Soundly, verrrry, very soundly. Like babies. Big fat Tom Croft loving babies. And whats wrong with that? Its not a crime is it? Not like, say, hangin' a fella.

Yes, sleep well, Sky Sports.

If ye dare....