Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pundit

Quote from: FermPundit on April 24, 2009, 09:42:46 PM
Who is the third choice scrum half at Munster after O'Leary and Stringer?
mike prendergast. Came on in ravenhill earlier in the year.
Devastated for TOL. Such bad luck. really am sick for him. Missing a euro cup tilt and a lions tour will be hard for the chap. But that wheat happens in sport. I would expect Dwayne Peel, Mike Blair or even perhaps Strings to slot in for him. Luckily for the lions, they are quite strong in the scrum 1/2 area.

bigfrank

i have often heard of classic video coverage from the changin rooms prior to the start of the games  and maybe at half time/full time?? i heard various cocahes mention it as a way of inspiring people etc,is any of it on u tube or does anyone know the kinda stuff im talkin bout??

Gnevin

Any suggestions too replace O'Leary?

I think we will need the 99 call again to win this tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPVfbG3rVM
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Hound

Quote from: The Pundit on April 24, 2009, 10:46:05 PM
I would expect Dwayne Peel, Mike Blair or even perhaps Strings to slot in for him. Luckily for the lions, they are quite strong in the scrum 1/2 area.
I don't think they are quite strong, but there are many reasonably good scrum halves at a similar level. Take the top 3 Irish, 3 Welsh, 2 Scots and 3 or 4 English scrum halves, and there's feck all between any of them, but none would get in a souther hemisphere team.

Chris Cusiter is apparently favourite, but no decision will be made for a week or two. I'd gamble on Danny Care.

Tankie

Quote from: Hound on April 29, 2009, 07:46:47 AM
Quote from: The Pundit on April 24, 2009, 10:46:05 PM
I would expect Dwayne Peel, Mike Blair or even perhaps Strings to slot in for him. Luckily for the lions, they are quite strong in the scrum 1/2 area.
I don't think they are quite strong, but there are many reasonably good scrum halves at a similar level. Take the top 3 Irish, 3 Welsh, 2 Scots and 3 or 4 English scrum halves, and there's feck all between any of them, but none would get in a souther hemisphere team.

Chris Cusiter is apparently favourite, but no decision will be made for a week or two. I'd gamble on Danny Care.

I would say Blair will get in just to bump up the Scottish numbers
Grand Slam Saturday!

screenexile

I'd give it to care or Peel as they offer something a little different and can make things happen. The only thing is physicality wise both are on the light side which would seem to go against McGeechan's philosophy for this tour. I don't think they can bring Stringer in and I would have thought Mike Blair would be before Cusiter anyway. It's a 3 horse race in my book between Care, Blair and Peel.

Tankie

Quote from: screenexile on April 29, 2009, 02:24:21 PM
I'd give it to care or Peel as they offer something a little different and can make things happen. The only thing is physicality wise both are on the light side which would seem to go against McGeechan's philosophy for this tour. I don't think they can bring Stringer in and I would have thought Mike Blair would be before Cusiter anyway. It's a 3 horse race in my book between Care, Blair and Peel.

My choice would be Care
Grand Slam Saturday!

Gnevin

I agree Care is fair to small , Blair is my front runner
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The GAA

Blair for me. he is the best scrumhalf, even if his form dipped during the 6 nations. i never understand the obsession with form in the 6 nations dictating lions selection. Its a long way from that to the tour and those who were in form in autumn, and dipped for spring, will more likely be in form by the summer again.

screenexile

Quote from: bigfrank on April 25, 2009, 06:32:25 PM
i have often heard of classic video coverage from the changin rooms prior to the start of the games  and maybe at half time/full time?? i heard various cocahes mention it as a way of inspiring people etc,is any of it on u tube or does anyone know the kinda stuff im talkin bout??

Here's some of the stuff from Living With Lions:

Forwards Meeting before 1st Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3S6iGmUjI

Game v Natal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BOG7-sFOU4

Game v Transvaal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYuWBqibnQ4

stephenite

Forgot how young Eric Miller was on that tour

Hound

Anyone know the rule why Flutey can play for the Lions but the likes of Mafi and Elsom can't?

Not that I think any of them should be allowed, but just wondering.

stephenite

He decided to declare for England under the residency rule, played this year so is elegible - Elsom will probably return to play for the Aussies, but assume if he fulfilled the criteria for Irish selection and decided to declare he would also be elegible.

AZOffaly

They changed the rules as well though. If you've played any representative rugby for your country at senior level (even 7s) you cannot play for another country.

Lads like Dominguez playing for Argentina and Italy are a thing of the past. Hence Mafi and Warwick are ineligible for Ireland, and thus the lions. Flutey was capped underage I think, so he's okay. As for Elstrom, did he not get a few Australian Caps?

gawa316

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 04, 2009, 12:49:02 PM
They changed the rules as well though. If you've played any representative rugby for your country at senior level (even 7s) you cannot play for another country.

Lads like Dominguez playing for Argentina and Italy are a thing of the past. Hence Mafi and Warwick are ineligible for Ireland, and thus the lions. Flutey was capped underage I think, so he's okay. As for Elstrom, did he not get a few Australian Caps?

If you're talking about Elsom he has 58 aussie caps