Lions 2009 thread

Started by Hound, February 12, 2009, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Very disapointed that Rory Best didn't make it.  A good scrummager, which is what you need against SA

whiskeysteve

Quote from: The GAA on April 21, 2009, 02:21:37 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on April 21, 2009, 02:19:58 PM
Quote from: The GAA on April 21, 2009, 02:17:53 PM
Can't believe Quinlan is in. doesn't usually pay toquestion the geech though.

speculation that the 36 was increased to 37 to accomdate shane williams.

i'm surprised that ROG was included.

correct call on the captaincy i'd say.

my stab at the xv:

Byrne, Kearney, BOD, Flutey, Monye, Jones, Phillips, vickery, flannery, Jones, POC, Shaw, Ferris, Williams, Powell.

Would have have Heaslip in ahead of Powell there and Wallace ahead of Williams

At number 8? surely wallace is competing with williams

sure isnt that what i said  :P
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

The GAA

sorry - must have missed a tablet this morning!

bcarrier

I wouldnt have picked the plastic Lion either.

Not bringing Hayes is a mistake in my view . This man is the hydrualic under POC and had some of best tackle stats in 6 nations. He remains unheralded even in Ireland.

Jones will start on test team but why would ROG not be picked on the squad ? He would be an automatic selection for either Scotland or England.

The selection of a Welsh management team means there are too many Welsh players selected ...Best would have been a better back up option at Hooker.

Bogball XV

Quote from: bcarrier on April 21, 2009, 02:43:31 PM
Jones will start on test team but why would ROG not be picked on the squad ? He would be an automatic selection for either Scotland or England.
Probably Scotland, but England have a wealth at fly half that we'd kill for.

The GAA

I'd have brought cipriani and hook as back up to jones. actually i'd be seriously considering wilkinson.

ROG does a fine job for munster but falls short mentally at international level. we've all seen fantastic club players that just can't make the transition to county football. he folded like a cheap tent in a gale on the last lions tour.

Capt Pat

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on April 21, 2009, 02:00:04 PM
O'Leary???? ???

Yes that is correct. The guy is a winner and all rounder and a possible Lions test 15 starter at scrum half. They have left some of the best scrum halves behind. Care is better than Ellis, peel is better than Phillips. The 2 Scots Cussiter and Blair were left behind and it was a Scot picking the team not Kidney or McGahan or me. O'leary is well up to it. The gammy box kicking you saw in the 6 nations was Kidneys game plan not O'Learys.

Gnevin

Quote from: The GAA on April 21, 2009, 02:58:01 PM

I'd have brought cipriani and hook as back up to jones. actually i'd be seriously considering wilkinson.

ROG does a fine job for munster but falls short mentally at international level. we've all seen fantastic club players that just can't make the transition to county football. he folded like a cheap tent in a gale on the last lions tour.
Yeah he must of became the top score in Six Nations history by falling short and not being able to make the transition.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Roger

Quote from: Gnevin on April 21, 2009, 03:06:18 PM

Yeah he must of became the top score in Six Nations history by falling short and not being able to make the transition.
He gets selected without any alternative ever being available.  He plays behind potentially the best club and international pack in Europe and has done for nearly a decade.  If he can kick a ball he is going to score points.  It isn't difficult. Doing so in SA will be difficult.  Unfortunately he is simply not up to the task.

The GAA

Hecan kick penalties and drop goals. of that there is no doubt. If ireland had a single credible alternative he wouldn't be playing

screenexile

Feckin Jonny Wilkinson is up there too and he's only played about 4/5 Six Nations campaigns! I would go with Jones and I am worried that we don't have any real alternative at Fly Half.

Capt Pat

Quote from: Feckitt on April 21, 2009, 02:30:49 PM
Very disapointed that Rory Best didn't make it.  A good scrummager, which is what you need against SA

I think they brought the better props instead and the better hookers. A front row of Vickery Flannery and Jenkins would be a lot more effective than Horan Best and Hayes, ie 2 scrummaging props and a lineout throwing hooker is better than 2 lineout lifting props and a scrummaging hooker.

Capt Pat

Quote from: screenexile on April 21, 2009, 03:39:51 PM

Feckin Jonny Wilkinson is up there too and he's only played about 4/5 Six Nations campaigns! I would go with Jones and I am worried that we don't have any real alternative at Fly Half.

The only alternative outhalf in the squad I think woould beo'Leary as they haven't brought Henson either or Catt or Patterson who I  would have brought for his goal kicking or verstatility.

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: C_Berg_316 on April 20, 2009, 01:40:28 PM
Just reading on BBC Sport Paul O'Connell has been named as the Lions captain.

First of his kind to captain the lions anyway i'm sure...

gallsman

Very ballsy selection by McGeechan, I thought he'd have brough several of the Waps and English contingent. Regarding Quinlan and Earls, both of them are absolutely on fire at the moment, and I think Tom Croft is just that bit too light to face the Boks back row. McGeechan promised to pick on form, and the only player in the 37 not in decent form at the moment is Shane Williams. Fair play to McGeechan for standing up to them all. Never mind Francis, I can't wait to hear what Brian Moore thinks!

Test team:

Byrne, Bowe, Roberts, O'Driscoll, Halfpenny, Jones, Phillips

Jenkins, Flannery, Murray, O'Connell, Wyn-Jones, Ferris, Wallace, Heaslip

Not one England player in the 15. Perhaps Monye, maybe Worsley. But I definitely think it has to be the Irish backrow.