Farmers beware!

Started by Maguire01, February 11, 2009, 02:04:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Not before time! I'd say most drivers on here can relate to this one...

Quote'Arrogant' farmer banned over tractor traffic jam
Wednesday, 11 February 2009

An "arrogant" farmer who held up a convoy of 20 cars as he drove his tractor home from a cattle mart has been banned for driving for one year.

In what could be an historic prosecution, the farmer, who was called "arrogant and individualistic" by a District Court judge, was told: "You don't have the right to force other people to drive at 15 miles per hour."

Michael Nevin (51) from Glenhest, Newport, Co Mayo, insisted that he had pulled over to allow traffic to overtake at the earliest opportunity when returning home from a mart on July 19 last, but gardai pursuing him said that he had passed six possible places before finally pulling in.

Mr Nevin, who plans to appeal his ban, was stopped for failing to pull over for traffic on his return from Balla mart. When stopped by gardai, he was issued with a fine which he refused to pay.

In court last Wednesday Mr Nevin told Judge Mary Devins that he had pulled over to allow traffic overtake him at the earliest point possible. However Gda John Daly insisted that Mr Nevin had passed six possible places before finally pulling-in.

Counsel for the accused argued that Mr Nevin -- an experienced Bus Eireann driver -- had an impeccable driving record and his livelihood would be compromised by a conviction under the Road Traffic Act.

However, Judge Devins convicted him, observing that Gda Daly "may be making history". She also remarked that Mr Nevin's "arrogance" was palpable in the courtroom.

Judge Devins said: "He didn't pull in and there were six places that he could have done so. I'm going to accept the evidence of the garda."

She convicted him under Section 51a of the Road Traffic Act which stipulates that due care and consideration for others must be exercised while driving.

Last night, the chairman of Mayo Irish Farmers Association, Martin Gavin, called on Mayo County Council to create the proper roadside infrastructure for members who, due to the closure of many marts, have been forced to drive long distances to sell their stock.

A council spokesman, however, said it does not have the resources to carry out such work, while the Road Safety Authority declined to comment on the matter, stating the issue was outside its remit.

The IFA's Martin Gavin said that he had "total sympathy" for the farmer.

"This issue is a major concern for farmers since an awful lot of marts around Mayo are closed down, so the infrastructure is not in place and they are forced to drive to Balla mart.

"If you are driving along the road and see some place -- you are thinking on your feet -- and you are also conscious of not slowing down too much. I have total sympathy for this man," said Mr Gavin.

lfdown2

Gnevin

Jackeen talking now so excuse my ignorance . Why  do farmers have to driver tractors to markets ? Couldn't a land rover or range rover/insert power but cheap car  here  do the job?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

StGallsGAA

A few farmers I've come across take absolute delight in driving their tractors with trailers on the road when the hardshoulder is free causing a huge tailback.  They take even greater delight when those overtaking vent their anger thus showing the frustration they have caused.    

I came across two at "silage time" who hogged the very dangerous road between Maghera and Magherafelt, refusing to pull in.  They had empty trailers on and drove nose to tail to prevent anyone overtaking one then the other.    The tailback way probably 2-3 miles long.   I can understand where road rage comes from and if they became victims of it I don't think anyone would a have lifted a finger to help them!

longrunsthefox

A bit steep of a sentence. drink drivers get same in North and hardly comparable but he deserved something. Is nothing so annoying and ignorant. 

lfdown2

Quote from: Gnevin on February 11, 2009, 02:27:23 PM
Jackeen talking now so excuse my ignorance . Why  do farmers have to driver tractors to markets ? Couldn't a land rover or range rover/insert power but cheap car  here  do the job?

maybe because they want to, or are bringing/buying stock, either way cant see how it matters?

mylestheslasher

The should just ban drivers in Mayo full stop. It doesn't matter if they drive a tractor, jeep or car - they are just crap at driving.

orangeman

Tough sentence - but I know a few lads who just delight on seeing the rage in people's faces when they don't pull over onto the hard shoulder and let them past.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 11, 2009, 02:40:07 PM
The should just ban drivers in Mayo full stop. It doesn't matter if they drive a tractor, jeep or car - they are just crap at driving.

Kildare is worse...nightmare

muppet

Quote from: orangeman on February 11, 2009, 02:44:18 PM
Tough sentence - but I know a few lads who just delight on seeing the rage in people's faces when they don't pull over onto the hard shoulder and let them past.

The only hard shoulders in Mayo are from the Knockmore supporters when you are going to/from the pitch.
MWWSI 2017

goal and a point

Nothing worse than being held up by tractors on a main road on the way home from work especially if you have to travel a distance and even if you are not in a hurry can get on your nerves very quickly

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on February 11, 2009, 02:48:30 PM

The only hard shoulders in Mayo are from the Knockmore supporters when you are going to/from the pitch.

:D Good one muppet!!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

the Deel Rover

But is the farmer not entitled to be on the road surely if he has paid his road tax he should be. Seems to me like the Garda was on a power trip and this man could now lose his job because of it, if he was on the Balla to Castlebar road he had feck all places to pull over, now i hate to see tractors on the road myself at times but in this case i feel the sentence was harsh
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

johnneycool

Quote from: the Deel Rover on February 11, 2009, 03:06:29 PM
But is the farmer not entitled to be on the road surely if he has paid his road tax he should be.

Not sure about this but are tractors not exempt from road tax and MOT/PSV in the north?

If they're supposed to be taxed I'd be surprised if any sizeable percentage are.

i'd also put any slow moving vehicles off the main roads during rush hour periods

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on February 11, 2009, 02:48:30 PM

Brilliant !