The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: GJL on April 30, 2015, 12:26:57 AM
Quote from: annapr on April 29, 2015, 10:39:33 PM
Quote from: GJL on April 29, 2015, 10:36:11 PM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on April 29, 2015, 10:17:00 PM
When Rodgers arrived he was a cheap option manager expected, on a shoe-string budget, to restore pride to a once great club on its knees through years of mid-spending and recently rescued from the jaws of bankruptcy.  He exceeded all expecations.     When, through no fault of his own,  the Crown Jewels were sold to Barca he may have wasted the money on duff signings but so did Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson and Dalglish - hundreds of millions between them.  He's also come closer to winning the title than any of them from arguably a much worse starting position.   

Why are so many Liverpool fans calling for his sacking?

Because they have unrealistic expectations for the club. Liverpool are no longer in the top tier and the fans first reaction is to blame the manager when the reality is that no manager could bring Liverpool back into the top tier whilst under the current financial restrictions that exist at the club.
But Rogers did last season so your theory is a load of balls.

Last season was an exception and you should know that. Liverpool have been in or around 6th or 7th consistently now for the last few years. It is purely a financial thing. They cannot compete financially so in turn cannot compete on the pitch. No manager can change this unless he can pay the big wages and transfer fees.

Rodgers has spent 215 million. Surely their outlay over last 10 years or so is more than Arsenal.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 30, 2015, 10:38:21 AM
When Rodgers arrived he was a cheap option manager expected, on a shoe-string budget, to restore pride to a once great club on its knees through years of mid-spending and recently rescued from the jaws of bankruptcy.  He exceeded all expecations.     When, through no fault of his own,  the Crown Jewels were sold to Barca he may have wasted the money on duff signings but so did Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Hodgson and Dalglish - hundreds of millions between them.  He's also come closer to winning the title than any of them from arguably a much worse starting position.   

Because they have unrealistic expectations for the club. Liverpool are no longer in the top tier and the fans first reaction is to blame the manager when the reality is that no manager could bring Liverpool back into the top tier whilst under the current financial restrictions that exist at the club.

Last season was an exception and you should know that. Liverpool have been in or around 6th or 7th consistently now for the last few years. It is purely a financial thing. They cannot compete financially so in turn cannot compete on the pitch. No manager can change this unless he can pay the big wages and transfer fees.

Rodgers has spent 215 million. Surely their outlay over last 10 years or so is more than Arsenal.

In fairness a lot of those players wouldn't be on huge wages. add Sanchez whom he wanted to that Liverpool this season then they'd certainly have more points. He can't go after players he'd probably like to sign because he can't offer the huge wages United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal do either. You buy a player for £35m these days the player will probably earn £35m over a 4 year contact to, that didn't happen 20 years ago, a player bought for £3 or 4 million would earn £800,000 over a 4 year contract.

Rodgers gets a lot of stick from United fans which I think is unfair, how much money does he have to spend this summer?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 30, 2015, 10:55:15 AM

In fairness a lot of those players wouldn't be on huge wages. add Sanchez whom he wanted to that Liverpool this season then they'd certainly have more points. He can't go after players he'd probably like to sign because he can't offer the huge wages United, Chelsea, City and Arsenal do either. You buy a player for £35m these days the player will probably earn £35m over a 4 year contact to, that didn't happen 20 years ago, a player bought for £3 or 4 million would earn £800,000 over a 4 year contract.

Rodgers gets a lot of stick from United fans which I think is unfair, how much money does he have to spend this summer?

Thats fair enough but Arsenals first player to exceed 100k a week was Walcott in about 2011. AKAIK the Arsenal players on 100k plus a week would be Ramsey, Walcott, Podolski (loan), Ozil & Sanchez. Whos would Liverpools top earners be? Johnson, Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling (tbc)

GJL

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 30, 2015, 10:58:25 AM

Thats fair enough but Arsenals first player to exceed 100k a week was Walcott in about 2011. AKAIK the Arsenal players on 100k plus a week would be Ramsey, Walcott, Podolski (loan), Ozil & Sanchez. Whos would Liverpools top earners be? Johnson, Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling (tbc)

Balotoilli is probably on right good twine too.

GJL

I think I read recently that Liverpool have the 5th highest wage bill in the league which does seem to reflect their league position.

blewuporstuffed

Johnson & Gerrard def on over 100k, but gerrard will be gone off the wage bill come the summer, sterlings new contract will likely be up there too,along with sturridge, Hendersons new one is 100k p/w i think  I think.
I would say everyone else is quite a bit below that
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Maroon Manc

I don't know. Arsenals' wage bill was £20m higher then Liverpools for last season though.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 30, 2015, 11:37:02 AM

I don't know. Arsenals' wage bill was £20m higher then Liverpools for last season though.

Yeah Wenger had a period where everyone was on 60+ a week. Even donkeys like Flappianksi and Diaby. However that was probably down to the stadium restricting funds

It seems to be getting a bit more like the big 3 but still a fair bit behind their big earners.

Maroon Manc

Arsenal have been left behind commercially, there about £25m behind Liverpool and over a £100m behind United and even £90m behind City although I'd take no notice of City's commercial deals. The majority of them are Qatari linked, City's kit deal is worth £12m a year which gives a fair reflection of where they stand commercially.

Agent Orange

LIVERPOOL FC manager Brendan Rodgers has announced that he is sacking the club after yet another disappointing season.

The manager made his decision after the team's abysmal 1-0 defeat to Hull City which condemns them to yet another season of European football on ITV4.

Rodgers had warned the club that if they dropped points against Hull they would face grave consequences.

In an official statement, he said: "I would like to place on record my thanks for all the hard work put in by Liverpool FC during their tenure under me.

"However, it has become clear that as they do not have the calibre required of a Brendan Rodgers club and it is with deep regret that I must let them go. I wish them all the best for the future."

There were tearful scenes as the club cleared its desk, looked around Anfield for the last time and strode out into the car park to an uncertain future. It is thought that they might try their luck in the American MLS league as the Liverpool Lassoes.

Meanwhile, Arsenal, Manchester United and Manchester City are among the frontrunners to take their place under Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers said: "Clubs come and go. But there always has been Brendan Rodgers and there always will be. He always walks alone."

Gabriel_Hurl

where did you copy and paste that shite from?

Young Flanagan has had to get another knee operation and will be out another 6-9 months

Lecale2

Brendan Rodgers: "Three months ago I was a tactical genius, performing to a good level."

Five-times title winner Steve Nicol in the Daily Mail: "I'd love to know who was calling him a "tactical genius". When was he a tactical genius?"

When ex-players start turning on him his time is nearly up. Mind you he does say some silly things.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Lecale2 on April 30, 2015, 02:46:35 PM
Brendan Rodgers: "Three months ago I was a tactical genius, performing to a good level."

Five-times title winner Steve Nicol in the Daily Mail: "I'd love to know who was calling him a "tactical genius". When was he a tactical genius?"

When ex-players start turning on him his time is nearly up. Mind you he does say some silly things.

Nicol has a history for having a cut off the club and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about something.  He was one of my favourite players growing up as he was so understated yet effective but shouts his mouth off a lot.  He wants Klopp in as he thinks he will turn it round yet he also said only 6 weeks ago that we would beat United to the top 4,  not the best judge I reckon.

J70

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2015, 03:05:08 PM

Nicol has a history for having a cut off the club and seems to have a chip on his shoulder about something.  He was one of my favourite players growing up as he was so understated yet effective but shouts his mouth off a lot.  He wants Klopp in as he thinks he will turn it round yet he also said only 6 weeks ago that we would beat United to the top 4,  not the best judge I reckon.

In fairness,  a lot of people thought Liverpool would get top 4, up until the United game. They were winning almost every game up until that and Sturridge was just back. United playing them off the park in the first half, followed by the awful display against Arsenal seem to have broken the team.

stew

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 30, 2015, 03:05:08 PM

Nicol is a wee bit like Spillane on the punditry except for the fact Pat never has too much negative to say about Kerry.

Nicol I think goes out of his way to be negative about Rodgers, it seems personal and it is tasteless, the Liverpool lads of old would never have hung the sitting manager out to dry like he is Rodgers!

I think Rodgers is a spoofer but he is a decent manager and he has had a very positive impact on Liverpool, I also think he deserves another 2 years.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.