The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

not a Liverpool fan, nor a united one either for that matter, but i would just like to add my tuppenceworth.
rafa may quit the mind games, the only one who could compete with fergie in this aspect was Mourinho.

If Martin O'Neill or David Moyes was in charge of that Liverpool team they would win the league. The reason being is if all players at Villa and Everton were 100% fit, Moyes and O'Neill would still play the best XI week in week out, none of this rotation shit.

Dirk Kuyt continually plays 90 minutes and the man is useless. Full Stop.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Carmen Stateside

Gave up on Kuyt long time ago!!
Benayouns tackle was pub league stuff , surely now Rafa can see he needs someone on the right, maybe its time to move Gerrard out wide and pair Masch and Alonso in the middle!

mountainboii

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 20, 2009, 12:37:39 AM
not a Liverpool fan, nor a united one either for that matter, but i would just like to add my tuppenceworth.
rafa may quit the mind games, the only one who could compete with fergie in this aspect was Mourinho.

If Martin O'Neill or David Moyes was in charge of that Liverpool team they would win the league. The reason being is if all players at Villa and Everton were 100% fit, Moyes and O'Neill would still play the best XI week in week out, none of this rotation shit.

Dirk Kuyt continually plays 90 minutes and the man is useless. Full Stop.

This is an assertion based on the assumption that Liverpool's first choice 11 are the best in the league. Even most Liverpool supporters would struggle to agree with this I'd imagine.

Hound

I put this two points lost firmly down to Benitez.

Some people blaming Benny. Poor chap doing his very best. The idiot manager had him playing right back for the last 10 minutes. He made 4 tackles in that position, won 2 and gave away 2 free kicks. That's far better than I thought he'd do. He's a light attacking player for chrissakes. Why play him that deep and push Carragher inside a bit, I do not know. But if you make that decision, then Kuyt was the man to put at right back, not feckin Benny. Or better still  how about taking Dirk useless hole off (I thought he was worse than Keane) and bring on the right back who's sitting on the bench (Arbeloa) ??

I thought it was the right decision to take a tired Torres off, but when I saw Lucas coming on I knew we were gone. Bringing on Lucas meant we were inviting pressure, bringing on Babel would have been relieving pressure. The one thing Babel is consistently good at is playing up top when we're ahead, he's a super outlet. And when Benitez decided to be negative and be scared, why the hell he decided on Lucas ahead of Mascho is pure mystery!!

Great free kick by Arteta. Alonso had literally run rings around him for 90 minutes, but he came up trumps there. Defensively I would blame Reina and Riera most as the two who could have done more to stop it. But the execution did make it difficult to defend.

full back

Another tepid display from the scousers
2 brutal displays from Rafa's outburst, perhaps its unfair to blame his ranting & raving more logical to blame his selection & substitutes

Abble

it was always on the cards that we would not get the 3 pts last night. over the past 2 or 3 seasons we have to admit that we've sneaked some lucky wins against everton, i always felt it could come back to haunt us when the pts were most needed.

also in a way the results of the past 2 or weeks are maybe a good thing....we were going too well up until end of '08, i'm happy enough to take a quiet january and now hopefully with everyone coming back we can go on now and start winning again, get a wee run together.

corn02

Some shit posted on this thread, I'll post in full later. Yous are unbelievable at times.

Over the Bar

The last thing you need on a title run-in is a glass chin and a soft underbelly.  It appears Liverpool might just have both.

Off The Fence

Quote from: corn02 on January 20, 2009, 09:04:03 AM
Some shit posted on this thread, I'll post in full later. Yous are unbelievable at times.

So Rafa didn't f**k up last night corn? 

Shambles of a man who has to be taking account for what happend last night. 

Riera should have been off after 60 minutes.  Wasn't fit to pass a ball and didn't create anything.  Alonso was Liverpools main man last night.  Why play Hypia where he is obviously too slow for the game now!

Why not bring on Babel instead of that idiot Lucas and at least hit Everton on the break.

Everton deserved everything they got last night and probably even a win. 

Pool just not good enough!

corn02

For a start the Kuyt issue, will yous go away and wise yourselves up. He has been one of Liverpool's best players this season, if you can't see that you are blind. Work resulted in me only seeing the last 20 last night, and although he may have been dung in the first 70, he was excellent in the last 20 - i lost track of how many balls he blocked or intercepted. Going by rounds of appluase from the crowd, he was without doubt the highest recipient in the last 20. Statement like "I gave up on him long time ago" and "how does he play" just shows a complete lack of fotballing knowledge.

So far th is thread has blamed Kuyt, zonal marking, going back into their shell and Rafa being happy with par.

The Kuyt issue I addressed above.
2- zonal marking -. Firstly, forget what Andy Gray says, Liverpool do not play zonal marking. They play a mixture of zonal and man marking. 14 goals conceded this season, only United and Arsenal have a better defensive record. I can only remeber 12 of the goals conceded and only 2 were a result of set-pices (Everton and Newcastle). Last night was the result of a great Cahill run, superb delivery and poor marking frm Skrtl - to play zonal marking is laughable.

3 - going back into their shell - Can anyone give me another example when we have went back into our shell? Do you think Ferguson would have went for a second with four minutes to go at home to City, he would have held out for a 1-0 at that stage.

We have dropped points in nine games this season and the only realistic example of us being too negative and dropping into our shell has been Villa and Stoke away.

The other seven games have been Everton (last night), Stoke home (constant attack - same for Hull, Fulham and West Ham. Spurs - chased a game to extend our lead and got sucker-punched. Arsenal - perhaps a bit negative with 10 men, but Arsenal raised their game significantly.

You look at United against Middlesboro and Wigan, and to an extent Hull, and they have protected a lead just as much as we have this season.

4 - Rafa happy with draws - Benitez goes to win every game. He righlt points out that a dpoint is better than a defeat, but he is always looking three.

Are we choking? No we are not, we are  playing poorly. Chokinbg is a get-out clause there.

We haven't performed much better than we did last season, just happens United and Chelsea are in the same boat. Wigan, Boro and City are all examples were we could have dropped more points. Hull I suppose also. We haven't the squad a t momet. Lucan and Yossi are decent players and I defend them on here, but  would be diluded to think they can have the same impact as Tevez and Scholes coming off the bench.

Most said on this thread that we would be hapy to be near the leaders at the end of the season, we are still level on points and have a similar schedule to United. We just have to respond.

corn02

Quote from: Off The Fence on January 20, 2009, 09:23:37 AM

Riera should have been off after 60 minutes.  Wasn't fit to pass a ball and didn't create anything.  Alonso was Liverpools main man last night.  Why play Hypia where he is obviously too slow for the game now!

Why not bring on Babel instead of that idiot Lucas and at least hit Everton on the break.

Sorry, what? Can you point were he "fucked uop". Taking on a midfielder for a striker and pushing another mdifielder up when defending a 1-goal lead with four minutes to go, thats pretty basic in the manegerial formbook in games like this.

Reira had one of our best efforts on the night for a start. Hyypia has been superb this season, and suits these combative games. Why Babel? He has done nothing this year.

EC Unique

Quote from: Abble on January 20, 2009, 08:34:27 AM
it was always on the cards that we would not get the 3 pts last night. over the past 2 or 3 seasons we have to admit that we've sneaked some lucky wins against everton, i always felt it could come back to haunt us when the pts were most needed.

also in a way the results of the past 2 or weeks are maybe a good thing....we were going too well up until end of '08, i'm happy enough to take a quiet january and now hopefully with everyone coming back we can go on now and start winning again, get a wee run together.

Are you Rafa in disguise?

Off The Fence

Quote from: corn02 on January 20, 2009, 09:26:52 AM
Quote from: Off The Fence on January 20, 2009, 09:23:37 AM

Sorry, what? Can you point were he "fucked uop". Taking on a midfielder for a striker and pushing another mdifielder up when defending a 1-goal lead with four minutes to go, thats pretty basic in the manegerial formbook in games like this.

Reira had one of our best efforts on the night for a start. Hyypia has been superb this season, and suits these combative games. Why Babel? He has done nothing this year.

How many home games is that now Liverpool have Corn?  Babel hasn't been giving the chance to do anything this year.  As a friend said to me watching the game last night,  Man United and Chelsea and win close games at late stages,  Liverpool cant and I believe that is the difference between winning and losing it.   Whats a combative game BTW?
Quote from: EC Unique on January 20, 2009, 09:27:46 AM
Quote from: Abble on January 20, 2009, 08:34:27 AM

Are you Rafa in disguise?

No Corn is! :L

AZOffaly

Quote from: ONeill on January 19, 2009, 10:43:32 PM
As much as i'd like to see Liverpool win it (if Arsenal can't), there's something cowardly about Benitez's tactics that ruins title ambitions (esp at home) but often works in Europe.

I bet he wished he'd never opened his mouth a couple of weeks ago.

I agree with that O'Neill. I think Liverpool got what we deserved last night. It was a poor enough Everton team, but Liverpool really struggled to break them down. Having got the great goal from nowhere by Gerrard, to retreat into a shell and let Everton come onto them was shocking to look at. Did anyone watching the game feel at any stage that Liverpool were safe? I  certainly didn't. I turned the channel when Everton got that free kick because I knew they'd score from it.

Once again Liverpool end the game with Benayoun, Lucas and Kuyt on the field. Madness.

When Torres was coming off, why not have Ngog to come on, or someone that would play up front, and keep the shape of the team as it was. Bringing on Lucas was a complete signal to Everton that Liverpool were going to try and hang on.

There's an old saying 'Never give a sucker an even break', and that's what Liverpool did.

They'll want to snap out of it fairly soon, but perhaps the pressure might be off a little bit now, as they are chasing United instead of the other way around. However, I think that, as I said about a month ago or more, this May Liverpool fans are going to be sick that a very winnable title has been thrown away by ridiculous formations, and selections, and lack of ambition against teams Liverpool should be taking apart at Anfield.

No less than Liverpool deserved last night.

full back

Quote from: corn02 on January 20, 2009, 09:24:57 AM
Do you think Ferguson would have went for a second with four minutes to go at home to City, he would have held out for a 1-0 at that stage.

4 - Rafa happy with draws - Benitez goes to win every game. He righlt points out that a point is better than a defeat, but he is always looking three.

The 2 highlighted points:
Utd would have held on to the victory. End of

That is the problem with Rafa. Any numpty can tell you a point is better than none but he never gambles
You wont win the league with 38 draws
In order to be champions, you have to throw caution to the wind & get lucky
Rafa doesnt do this, therefore the scousers normally dont get the rub of the green