The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

The team you picked stiff would win fcuk all

Dinny Breen

Quoteso dinny and uladh you both disagree with the thinkin that too many draws cost us the seaon?

Yes because it's all hypothtical, you can apply the same logic to any team, Liverpool imho lack quality all over the park, only Torres and at a push Gerrard would get into either Chelsea's or Man U's first XI because those the are the only two Liverpool players that I as neutral would rank as better than anything either of those two teams already have.
Liverpool are as far away from the winning the premiership as they ever have been.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

I don't think he's saying they were unlucky. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I think the point is that Liverpool drew too many games this season, which they did, and if they had better players and a better squad, those games would have been turned into wins, which would have pushed them closer.

I think that's fair enough, and luck doesn't come into it. It's just highlighting the fact that the squad needs to be improved, by adding quality players, rather than adding more 'squad' players at the same level as those already there.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Uladh on May 06, 2008, 11:57:19 AM

I think there are ifs and buts in every team's season. deluding yourself that only liverpool were unlucky seems to be a fun passtime though

no your way of my thinking. No way do I think we were UNLUCKY , far from it, just making the point that we are not that far from challenging for the title and the talk of a squad overhaul and bringin in 5 or 6 players is ludacrious. One or two top players at most away from mounting a challenge IMO.

stiff breeze

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 11:59:51 AM
Quoteso dinny and uladh you both disagree with the thinkin that too many draws cost us the seaon?

Yes because it's all hypothtical, you can apply the same logic to any team, Liverpool imho lack quality all over the park, only Torres and at a push Gerrard would get into either Chelsea's or Man U's first XI because those the are the only two Liverpool players that I as neutral would rank as better than anything either of those two teams already have.
Liverpool are as far away from the winning the premiership as they ever have been.

Dinny, I agree with a lot of what you say, but I think Reina, Carragher, Mascherano, Gerrard and Torres as a spine, wouldn't look out of place in a Chelsea or Man united jersey in terms of quality. Where I think Liverpool fall down is that the likes of Kuyt, Alonso (on this year's form), Arbeloa, Babel etc would only be squad players for those teams, like Fletcher, O'Shea, Park, etc etc. So if Liverpool make 2 or 3 good signings, as in people better than those players, and push those guys down into being squad players rather than regulars, then they will be a lot closer.

stiff breeze

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 06, 2008, 11:59:51 AM

yeah gerrard at a push !! ha ha your funny! wat bout masch, skrtel, carra, agger and in a few years babel. oh yeah wat about our reina who for the THIRD consecutive season will win the golden glove?

Uladh

Spurs and blackburn have drawn the same number of games as liverpool. fulham and middlesboro one less. Can they push fir the premiership next season?

if you talk to any team's supporters there are so many needless points dropped and thats what makes it interesting. they best team doesn't win every week. however, the good teams are able to squeeze a point out of bad days and steal 3 on the mediocre ones.

EC Unique

Seems a bit strange that Rafa takes off Liverpool's biggest scoring threat last Wednesday night with a hamstring problem when a goal was needed and then plays him on Saturday in a meaningless game and he scores! What is the craic there?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Uladh on May 06, 2008, 12:07:35 PM
Spurs and blackburn have drawn the same number of games as liverpool. fulham and middlesboro one less. Can they push fir the premiership next season?

if you talk to any team's supporters there are so many needless points dropped and thats what makes it interesting. they best team doesn't win every week. however, the good teams are able to squeeze a point out of bad days and steal 3 on the mediocre ones.

Exactly, and the reason the good teams get 3 points with first teamers missing, is because the lads coming in would be first teamers, or better than first teamers, on the team they are playing against. Hence strength in depth, but real strength, not just numbers covering positions.

stevo-08

agree with AZ's assessment above. I've said it a few times already - we need a winger, central midfielder & striker before even contemplating challenging for the title.

Stiff Breeze is right about the number of draws being the biggest problem this year but the bottom line is that 1 additional player will not make up that gap. Between the PL & CL, we played the top 3 teams 10 times and the results are (only using 90mins in the CL games): W1, L2, D7. That's a brutal record.

I also think the 4-4-1-1 formation only works effectively against the average teams in the PL. We need to play 4-4-2 against the top 3 teams with a quality striker beside torres (and i dont mean crouch/voronin/kuyt).

By the way, a little quiz question for you Pool fans to keep you occupied now the season is over: Apart from 1966, there have been 5 liverpool players, (past, present and future) to have played in a World Cup Final. Can you name them?

1 played while he was with us
2 joined us after playing (and winning) world cups
2 went on to play in finals after leaving us.

full back

Quote from: stiff breeze on May 06, 2008, 12:02:23 PM
just making the point that we are not that far from challenging for the title

How deluded are you?
You are far away from challenging for the title, and without major additions the pool wont be challenging in the near future

Uladh

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 06, 2008, 12:10:20 PM
Exactly, and the reason the good teams get 3 points with first teamers missing, is because the lads coming in would be first teamers, or better than first teamers, on the team they are playing against. Hence strength in depth, but real strength, not just numbers covering positions.

Yes, so yer man's assertion that liverpool weren't off the title this year only.... was nonsense?

stiff breeze

Quote from: Uladh on May 06, 2008, 12:07:35 PM

you didnt think that point through at all.  games won by spurs  11. games won by blackburn 15. games won by liverpool 20. Im comparing the form of the top two with liverpools. united have only drawn 6 and chelsea 9 though each team has lost nearly the same amount of games so as i said originally DRAWS COST US OUR SEASON

AZOffaly

How long is a piece of string? As Dinny says it is hypothetical because Liverpool didn't turn defeats into draws, and more importantly draws into wins. In my view the reason for that is that LFC's 'strength in depth' is not nearly as deep as United or Chelsea's. Same problem for Arsenal actually.

Hypothetically again, but if Liverpool sign players who are better than Kuyt and co, then they will be closer because they will win more of those games.