The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

J70

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 25, 2008, 01:27:53 PM
What about Gary Ablett???   :o

Ablett wasn't great, and certainly not up to the class of the men he was brought in to cover and replace e.g. Hansen, Lawrenson and Beglin. I wouldn't put him down in the class of Sean Dundee or Djimi Traore however.

Minder

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 25, 2008, 01:27:53 PM
What about Gary Ablett???   :o

Ablett was alright, played in some great teams. Managing the reserves now.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I'd agree with J70. He was very poor in comparison to the men he replaced, but was a step above some of the other dross that have played for Liverpool since then. Torben Piechnik?

brokencrossbar1

Ablett was always on a loser beacuse of the players he had to replace and also, he looked like Hansen so people expected more from him :P  He was ok by the standards around him, was just slow in my view.

Billys Boots

Yeah, I suppose he only really stood out because of the (magnificent) company he was in.  I remember cringing at some of the things he did, but in comparison to some of the luminaries mentioned, he was alright I s'pose.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bingobus

Glen Hysen never reached the heights expected of him. Team on slide at the time but he played his part in that.

Never liked David Burrows. Wouldn't be own of worst of all time but was not in Stautons class at  the time.

AZOffaly

Liverpool went through a mad phase of signing lookey-likes to replace players for a while. Burrows for Staunton, Speedie for Dalglish, Aldridge for Rush, Ablett for Hansen.

brokencrossbar1

I thought Ablett and Burrows came through the underage structure?

AZOffaly

Sorry. I shouldn't have said 'signing', I meant 'getting'. Burrows came from the Baggies though.

Surreal Steve

your ma came through my underage structure.

brokencrossbar1

I just checked that AZ.

I ahd forgotten about the other gary Ablett, the great Aussie rules player from the same time, ex Hawthorne player I think, probably could have played as well at footie than the other one.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 25, 2008, 02:22:57 PM
I just checked that AZ.

I ahd forgotten about the other gary Ablett, the great Aussie rules player from the same time, ex Hawthorne player I think, probably could have played as well at footie than the other one.

Geelong - he was my fave Aussie Rules player at the time

Chrisowc

Erik.....big Dutch fella....can't remember his second name.  He was a tube but totally fearless.  I remember him lying on the ground trying to head the ball away from the defenders foot :D

Bjorn Tore Kvarme wasn't great and neither was Stig.  The stewards in the Kop were always more likely to get onto one of Stig's crosses than Robbie.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

AZOffaly

Erik Meijr (spelling?) aka Erik the Viking aka Erik the useless hoor.