The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 28, 2008, 02:38:56 PM
QuoteWe now have a Liverpool fan on this board admitting that if they win the Champions League this year and next but don't win the league, then he will be calling for Rafa's head.  Madness.

That was me, and believe me, I am not influenced by the media rubbish.

Fair enough.  What you said sounds like something you would hear on 606.

I just find it very, very frustrating that Rafa seems to have his priorities at complete opposites to mine. He plays Torres in a Carling Cup game, before resting him for the league??? He never gives a settled side a run out in the league, but always ensures the best team possible is playing in Europe.

In agreement here.  I think this drives all Liverpool fans mad.

I like Rafa, I think he is a good manager, but I really think he either doesn't know or doesn't care about what winning a Premiership would mean to the club. I am willing to bet you €100 that if you stood outside Anfield and polled the fans along the lines of.

Which would be the better return for you?
a) Finish 4th or 3rd in the Premiership this season and next, but win the CL both seasons or
b) Win the Premiership next season, but do not win the CL either season.

I would be willing to bet that at least 70% of the fans would say option b would be preferable.

I'd take either and certainly wouldn't sack a manager who had just won his 3rd Champions League in 5 years which is what you said you would do.

Let's be honest, you do NOT have to be a good side to win the CL. Monaco, Porto and LFC in 2005 have shown that you can go a long way in that tournament with an average side, as long as they are hard to beat, and got a bit of luck. You have got to be a good, consistent side to win the Premiership.

I would say you do have to be a good side to win the Champions League.  You don't have to be the best side to win it.

By the way

QuoteRemember how we laughed when Real Madrid sacked Del Bosque for not winning the Champions League even though they won their league? 

That's exactly the opposite of what I would like. I would still laugh at someone who sacked a league winning manager for not winning the CL. I think Chelsea were nuts to unsettle Mourinho, and I can't imagine Arsenal giving Wenger the old heave ho if he doesn't win the CL.

The league is your bread and butter. The CL is where the glamour and money are. Get a team fit to win the League, the rest will look after itself. But if you build, and mind a team, to win the CL, you will not be guaranteed coming near winning the League.

You missed my point.   It is the idea of sacking a successful manager to me is ludicrous whether he has won the League or Champions League.

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Chrisowc

Apologies how my last post has appeared.  Hope it's not too hard to follow AZ.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

magpie seanie

QuoteThis is what An Fear Rua was on about. Seems fairly harmless really. Probably an Evertonian bit off more than Carra would let him chew

AZ - can you imagine if, say, it was Gary Neville or Roy Keane who did something like this? Mightn't be as harmless then! You'd have the usual loonies with all sorts of accusations!

bingobus

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 28, 2008, 05:32:57 PM
QuoteThis is what An Fear Rua was on about. Seems fairly harmless really. Probably an Evertonian bit off more than Carra would let him chew

AZ - can you imagine if, say, it was Gary Neville or Roy Keane who did something like this? Mightn't be as harmless then! You'd have the usual loonies with all sorts of accusations!

Well Andrew Cole was up to a bit of harmless fun at the weekend and no loonies here passed any judgement then. Maybe we are getting soft towards players nowadays  ;D

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 28, 2008, 05:32:57 PM

It would still be harmless Seanie. Whether or not the usual 'loonies' would treat it as such is another matter :D

AZOffaly

Quote from: Chrisowc on February 28, 2008, 04:50:28 PM
Apologies how my last post has appeared.  Hope it's not too hard to follow AZ.

I followed it alright Chris, and I don't think we are in disagreement over much. Obviously I would disagree with you in that I still think that LFC winning a Premiership far outweighs another couple of CLs at the moment. My brief to Rafa now, if he cared :D, would be 'Win the premiership, the rest is gravy'.

If he can't do that, or still looks as far away in 2 years as he is now, well then yes, I would ask him to leave.

stevo-08

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 28, 2008, 06:07:27 PM
Obviously I would disagree with you in that I still think that LFC winning a Premiership far outweighs another couple of CLs at the moment. My brief to Rafa now, if he cared :D, would be 'Win the premiership, the rest is gravy'.

If he can't do that, or still looks as far away in 2 years as he is now, well then yes, I would ask him to leave.

I totally agree with AZ, that LFC winning the PL far outweighs the CL, but not because 1 competition is better or gives more financial reward than the other. They are the 2 elite competitions but the fact is Liverpool have never won the PL and havent been champions in England for 18 years. Thats the single reason why it is far more important to win the PL. If you ask Fergie/Wenger/Grant, what competition they would prefer to win this year, I'd bet they'd all say the CL, simply because all 3 clubs have tasted PL success in recent years and they know they have strong chances of getting further PL titles in the coming years. The CL, on the other hand has eluded them all, apart from utd's title way back in '99.

Regarding the question about Rafa's future. He needs big money to buy 2-3 more high profile players - of the torres class. Then he needs to prove he can be competitive in the PL. But he also needs time, look how long it took united to win the title under ferguson!! It's no coincidence that the most decorated clubs in the PL are the two with the longest serving managers. Unfortunately, with the pressure at LFC and the fans demands for PL success, he mightnt be afforded the time he needs. But before sacking rafa, you need to have a good man to step into his place - who will that be??

brokencrossbar1

QuotePremier League - Hicks: I have veto over Gillett

Tom Hicks claimed he has the power to block any attempt by Liverpool co-owner George Gillett to sell his half of the club.

Hicks 'committed' to Liverpool

Hicks this week insisted he had no intention of parting with his own 50% stake at Anfield, despite renewed interest from Dubai International Capital.

It is believed American businessmen Hicks and Gillett have suffered a breakdown in their relationship and DIC, the investment arm of the Maktoum royal family, remain determined to secure a controlling interest in Liverpool.

With Hicks refusing to budge, publicly at least, DIC are considering making a bid for Gillett's stake.

But Hicks told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: "Not only am I not going to sell, my partner cannot sell without my approval.

"So, I kind of have the ability to determine the outcome of what is going to happen, and I am right in the middle of that."

DIC are only interested in buying Gillett's shares if they can gain control of Liverpool, which would involve Hicks selling at least part of his stake.

"For a lot of reasons I can't discuss, I haven't been able to fix it yet," Hicks said of the club's ownership.

"But I am preparing to be in a position to fix it."

Does this arrogant fecker seem to get more odious as this whole thing trundles on?   >:(

He is more or less saying that he can call all the shots as he has the veto.  Now I know that he has first option on Gilletts shares but surly he should realise when he is not wanted and get the fcuk out of there! 

corn02

As I much as I dislike Hicks I can't help but partially admire his willingness to try and fight it out while Gillet has no be heard or seen in a long time.

GalwayBayBoy

Javier Mascherano today signed a permanent deal at Anfield and admitted: "This is the best moment in my career." 
The Argentine international has put pen to paper on a four year contract with the Reds, bringing to an end one of the longest transfer sagas in recent years.

"I am very, very happy and now I can concentrate just on playing football," Mascherano told Liverpoolfc.tv.

"I said all along that I wanted to stay at Liverpool and now that I have signed I can say this is the best and the biggest moment in my career so far.

"From the first day I arrived at Liverpool the feeling was good and I knew this was where I wanted to play my football. It's good news for me and my family that everything is sorted and I know where my future is going to be. I just want to do my best for the fans and the people of the club.

"I am at a top side and I know I can win titles here. That's the big thing for me. I want to be at a club where we can win trophies and have success."

Manager Rafael Benitez was just as delighted to secure the services of the 23 year old midfielder.

"We must be really pleased with the situation now," said the boss. "He has been a key player for us since he has been here and now we know he can be a key player in our future.

"From the start we knew Javier was a player with quality and a fantastic mentality. We knew the player when he was in the reserves at River Plate but was playing for the senior national team and we had been monitoring his career since then.

"He is young but he has great experience having played for his country. We knew he would be a good signing for us.

"It's clear that he is one of the best midfielders in the world but he can get better with us. We now have a lot of good options in the centre of midfield and that's good news for the club."

Chief Executive Rick Parry, who worked painstakingly to finalise the deal, added: "Our overriding thought is that we are delighted to have signed a world class player on a long contract and I know Javier is thrilled too because he was keen to have his long term future resolved.

"I think this signing demonstrates two things. Firstly, that life at the club goes on despite all of the speculation to the contrary.

"And secondly it demonstrates in very large measure the ongoing commitment of the owners who once again have come good when funds have been needed." 

Hound

Good news about Mascho.

Re Hicks: What exactly is it that he's done wrong, apart from having a chat with Kilnsmann?

Carmen Stateside

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Carragher, Aurelio, Skrtel, Hyypia, Mascherano, Gerrard, Alonso, Babel, Kuyt, Torres. Subs: Martin, Riise, Benayoun, Crouch, Arbeloa.

Still persisting with Kuyt ???

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

SammyG

Quote from: stiffler on March 02, 2008, 01:43:27 PM
1 nil Jasskalinin OG :D

Top quality OG, dive for a ball that isn't going in and then head it back into your own net.  ;D

Minder

we can still catch arsenal and united,if we keep this up we could be out of sight by easter
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"