Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joxer

Was told Michael Murphy and Aidan O'Shea were going to next year.

Sigerson football has become a joke.

Madge

Heard DCU have got Aidan O'Shea, Donie Kingston and Michael Murpgy. Some fresher team if true.

DuffleKing

Quote from: Joxer on September 10, 2009, 10:50:14 AM
Was told Michael Murphy and Aidan O'Neill were going to next year.

Sigerson football has become a joke.

because school leavers are going to university?

Joxer

No from the point of view that colleges,  bar a select few are doing anything in their power to get the players they want where academic results dont matter.

Is the rulings still in place that freshers cannot play Sigerson?

Quote from: tyrone86 on September 09, 2009, 12:40:00 AM
Heard on the grapevine that Dan Goulding, Paul Kerrigan, Charlie Vernon and Sean O'Neill are all new additions to the Poly this year  :o

Is this true?

Madge

Quote from: Joxer on September 10, 2009, 11:02:10 AM
No from the point of view that colleges,  bar a select few are doing anything in their power to get the players they want where academic results dont matter.

Is the rulings still in place that freshers cannot play Sigerson?

Heard on the grapevine that Dan Goulding, Paul Kerrigan, Charlie Vernon and Sean O'Neill are all new additions to the Poly this year  :o

Is this true?

Think there could be a way around this rule as it could be interpreted you can only play for ONE team, not both freshers and Sigerson... So some people could skip playing for the freshers and go straight into the Sigerson...

By the way, how do you know what results these people got in their tests?

Joxer

Maybe they have and fair play to them if they have.

Is there much emphasis put on freshers football in colleges? Never hear about it.

I'm assuming Jordanstown will be favourites this year?

Madge

Quote from: Joxer on September 10, 2009, 11:09:56 AM
Maybe they have and fair play to them if they have.

Is there much emphasis put on freshers football in colleges? Never hear about it.

I'm assuming Jordanstown will be favourites this year?

Whenever I was there the freshers was took very seriously, but mainly from the freshers themselves, obviously everything is put on the back burner when it comes down to the Holy Grail aka the Sigerson...

Would say the Poly would have to be favourites this year if they have taken on the four players mentioned earlier in the thread... Odds normally come out once the Ryan Cup / McKenna Cup have been cleared up, will be interesting, as will the Ryan Cup.

orangeman

Jordanstown nealry always start out favourites given the numbers of the high quality intake and it's hard to see this year being any different.

tyrone86

Quote from: Joxer on September 10, 2009, 11:02:10 AM

Is this true?

They're all in the Poly anyway. I heard that Vernon mightn't play but the same story was rumoured when Enda McNulty went from Queens to UUJ.  I suppose you can throw in other County panelists that were freshers last year as new faces as well - Pete Fitzpatrick, Jason McAnulla,  young O'Boyle from Lavey.

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2009, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Madge on September 10, 2009, 10:36:24 AM
Quote from: nutsy--1 on September 10, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
i'd be very suprised if Vernon played ball for the Poly, he took his queens football very serious.

As did James McGovern and others... If he is going to the Poly to do a masters and had the offer of getting free accommodation and what not you think he would turn it down and miss out on playing Sigerson for a year which he clearly loves?

Who did you hear was for St Mary's Orangeman?

There's talk of a returning Aussie rules player. Might be idle speculation but who knows ?. 

I heard that it was both of the current Aussie based former MacRory stars.

Overthebar!

as far as i know it is only st.marys who are allowed to play their freshers in sigerson....
load of balls anyway, boys putting it before their club need to catch themselves on

orangeman

GAA President Christy Cooney has committed Croke Park for the staging of the 2011 Ulster Bank GAA Sigerson Cup Final.

Cooney was speaking at the AGM of Comhairle Ardoideachais (Third Level GAA) at Dublin Institute of Technology Aungier Street.

'I would like to commend the work of the Higher Education GAA sector and offer Croke Park to host the 2011 Sigerson Cup final in the centenary year of the competition,' he said.

The Sigerson Cup was first competed for in 1911 when it was won by UCD.

Meanwhile Chairman John Devaney has resigned from his role. The Longford native had been in the position for the past four years, and has been succeeded by Dundalk IT's Michael O'Maille who previously held the role of secretary.

O'Maille is a native of Silverbridge in Co. Armagh.

Mike McMahon of Athlone I.T. takes over from O'Maille as Secretary and is also involved with Higher Education GAA in Leinster.

McMahon is from Clare and is currently resides in Galway.

Officers Elected - Comhairle Ardoideachais 2009/2010:

Chairman - Michael Maile (DKIT);

Vice Chairman - Gerry Tully (DIT);

Secretary - Mike McMahon (AIT);

PRO - Cóilín Duffy;

Treasurer - Ray O Brien (TCD);

Ard Chomairle Delegate - John Devaney (QUB);

Coiste Bainisti Delegate - Pat Naughton;

Connacht - Larry Elwood (GMIT);

Leinster - Tommy Flynn (NUIM);

Ulster - Adrian McGuckin (UUJ);

Munster - Des Cullinane (UCC);

British Universities - Peter Mossey.

Madge

Quote from: orangeman on September 19, 2009, 10:09:57 PM
GAA President Christy Cooney has committed Croke Park for the staging of the 2011 Ulster Bank GAA Sigerson Cup Final.

Cooney was speaking at the AGM of Comhairle Ardoideachais (Third Level GAA) at Dublin Institute of Technology Aungier Street.

'I would like to commend the work of the Higher Education GAA sector and offer Croke Park to host the 2011 Sigerson Cup final in the centenary year of the competition,' he said.

The Sigerson Cup was first competed for in 1911 when it was won by UCD.

Meanwhile Chairman John Devaney has resigned from his role. The Longford native had been in the position for the past four years, and has been succeeded by Dundalk IT's Michael O'Maille who previously held the role of secretary.

O'Maille is a native of Silverbridge in Co. Armagh.

Mike McMahon of Athlone I.T. takes over from O'Maille as Secretary and is also involved with Higher Education GAA in Leinster.

McMahon is from Clare and is currently resides in Galway.

Officers Elected - Comhairle Ardoideachais 2009/2010:

Chairman - Michael Maile (DKIT);

Vice Chairman - Gerry Tully (DIT);

Secretary - Mike McMahon (AIT);

PRO - Cóilín Duffy;

Treasurer - Ray O Brien (TCD);

Ard Chomairle Delegate - John Devaney (QUB);

Coiste Bainisti Delegate - Pat Naughton;

Connacht - Larry Elwood (GMIT);

Leinster - Tommy Flynn (NUIM);

Ulster - Adrian McGuckin (UUJ);

Munster - Des Cullinane (UCC);

British Universities - Peter Mossey.

Dunno if holding it in a sparsely filled Croker would be good. How many can they expect to get for the final in all seriousness?

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on September 10, 2009, 10:42:20 AM
Quote from: Madge on September 10, 2009, 10:36:24 AM
Quote from: nutsy--1 on September 10, 2009, 09:47:29 AM
i'd be very suprised if Vernon played ball for the Poly, he took his queens football very serious.

As did James McGovern and others... If he is going to the Poly to do a masters and had the offer of getting free accommodation and what not you think he would turn it down and miss out on playing Sigerson for a year which he clearly loves?

Who did you hear was for St Mary's Orangeman?

There's talk of a returning Aussie rules player. Might be idle speculation but who knows ?.

Heard it here first folks.

laoisgaa

Hi lads and lassies. I've set up a Facebook page for Higher Education GAA for the coming year. There is nothing on it yet but it will be updated with news, fixtures, results, pics and videos during the year.

If you want to join it the link is
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281749613

tyrone86

Quote from: laoisgaa on September 24, 2009, 11:33:35 AM
Hi lads and lassies. I've set up a Facebook page for Higher Education GAA for the coming year. There is nothing on it yet but it will be updated with news, fixtures, results, pics and videos during the year.

If you want to join it the link is
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000281749613

Any word of the Ryan Cup fixtures yet laoisgaa, I think I'll try and wangle a day off to see the Ranch and the Poly