Sligo - the Division Four thread, farewell, it's been nice knowing you....

Started by Owenmoresider, January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

I rang through to people at that game, and all I got was, "absolute shite, disgraceful stuff, giving away the ball cheaply etc.." they were the only adjectives used to describe us :-\. Said something about missing 2 great goal chances aswell in 2nd half. Anyways we all have bad nights so hopefully this is just a blip and we'll bounce back against Waterford, main thing as Walsh says every week the workrate, effort and atitude is there.

More reports from people at the game today, was Mullen did his best at midfeild, TT didnt track back to his man the full game, Phillips was taken off, but unjustly as he had loads of Antrim players running down his throat, Mcnamara decided to give his man freedom of the park and not mark him, thus giving himself a free role, one of the funniest quotes, "youd want to see the craic, Mcnamaara looking for his man after he scores a point' but he played well on the ball, but id prefer a wing back that marks and stops his man than them both doing damage attacking.

Said Antrim could of been 2-10 to 0-0 up after 15 mins but it 5-0 according to my sources, Sligo came back into it. Said our FB line played very well with the pressure they were under. Sweeney missed a open goal, but sure that happens, but turned the game as that would of put us 1-9 to 1-8 ahead and have scoerd 1-4 without reply but it didnt.

My sources werent happy with Management changes, also said Antrim were a bigger physical team than us, with 6ft players all over, suprised me to be honest, interesting views all the same. Said Antrim supporters were bang on, delighted to beat us judging by the final whistle roar they said aswell, passionate lot by all accounts, like to see them hold there own in Ulster.

This means Sligo V Waterford game is winner takes all, with us guarnteed promotion if we do it, should be exciting enough game, waterford have dropped points away from home so hopefully the will in there next outing.

I guess the Topic name needs changing :-\,
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Gold

yeah Antrim should have been much further ahead early on-- i had the game on the stopwatch and Sligo DIDNT HAVE A SHOT AT GOAL UNTIL THE 17TH MINUTE!! Sean McGreevy in the Antrim goal didnt touch the ball until the kick out after this score in the 17TH MINUTE!! Good win and looks like promotion is assured!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Owenmoresider

Title duly amended. Sounded like very poor stuff generally, seemed to be on top for a while early in the second half, and were well placed to catch Antrim, but that prospect faded away soon after. Disappointing defeat, will have to get it right for the last two games, Waterford have the task of beating the two teams above them, while Wicklow might just sneak it yet. It's in our hands, but we're slipping at the wrong time.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: hardstation on March 30, 2009, 12:37:29 AM
Also, why do Sligo have their own thread on this section of the board?

Because we are special ;),

Cheers for the advice, Subs, Gaughan, Gilmartin and mcgovern obviously impressed ya hardstation?

Ya wicklow have better score difference, theyre coming up the blind side, even if we beat waterford they could catch us on the last day so not over by a long shot. Have to win our last 2 games to be sure, need costello back as stenson played chf the last day, and i wouldnt rate him as highly.

Anyword on O Hara and brehony?

Gold

your No.15 was your main man Sligo--flying maching 1st to the ball all day

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Gold on March 30, 2009, 01:47:29 PM
your No.15 was your main man Sligo--flying maching 1st to the ball all day

Have to be D Kelly, hes a important player for us alright.

AhFeckRef

Mickey Moran says Leitrim still has an outside chance of promotion ???  :o

Thats if (I think...) :

Waterford beat Sligo
Letirm beat Clare,
Carlow beat Wicklow,

Antrim beat Waterford
Wicklow beat Sligo.

And Leitrim beat Clare by 9 + the diff at the end of the WD/SO game - the diff at the end of the Antrim/WD game!!

So any bookie going to give me odds on that!  :P

Gold

Quote from: AhFeckRef on March 30, 2009, 01:59:06 PM

Thats if (I think...) :

Waterford beat Sligo
Letirm beat Clare,
Carlow beat Wicklow,

Antrim beat Waterford
Wicklow beat Sligo.

And Leitrim beat Clare by 9 + the diff at the end of the WD/SO game - the diff at the end of the Antrim/WD game!!

i'll give you €1000/1

magpie seanie

Thats if (I think...) :

Waterford beat Sligo
Letirm beat Clare,
Carlow beat Wicklow,

Antrim beat Waterford
Wicklow beat Sligo.

Mickey has been known to talk a good bit of shite over the years.

stevecw

Thats if (I think...) :

Carlow beat Wicklow,

And thats where Mickeys dream ends!!
As a Carlowman i cannot believe how bad things have become this year. Ok we are always poor enough, but tend to put it up to teams and pull off a decent win or 2 most years (like last year v Tipp) and look at them now!! We won 4 lost 4 last year in league. This year we will win 2...and we were even so lucky to beat London!

This year is the worst i can remember in all my years watching them. Most of the players have left panel already to focus on their clubs...for the game in Sligo we had only 3 outfield subs! :o
Its a total mess, and we will lose badly to Wicklow. Then we play Kilkenny in last game!! I can guarantee we won't beat them by much!

Thank god for the hurlers this year, they are the future in Carlow. County football is finished it seems. Nobody cares anymore...its all about the club. Thats why i haven't bothered to post on this thread up to now. Even i who have all the years have gone to every game has totally lost interest in them :-[

Gold

Thats hard going Steve. You cant give up on your County. I nearly did after the Div 4 Promotion collapse last year but was back at the NFL games this year. Its great that we are going places and the picture in the Irish News yesterday summed up Antrims progress--4 Athletes surrounding an opposition player --C'mon Antrim!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: stevecw on March 31, 2009, 12:21:50 AM

Thats if (I think...) :

Carlow beat Wicklow,

And thats where Mickeys dream ends!!
As a Carlowman i cannot believe how bad things have become this year. Ok we are always poor enough, but tend to put it up to teams and pull off a decent win or 2 most years (like last year v Tipp) and look at them now!! We won 4 lost 4 last year in league. This year we will win 2...and we were even so lucky to beat London!

This year is the worst i can remember in all my years watching them. Most of the players have left panel already to focus on their clubs...for the game in Sligo we had only 3 outfield subs! :o
Its a total mess, and we will lose badly to Wicklow. Then we play Kilkenny in last game!! I can guarantee we won't beat them by much!

Thank god for the hurlers this year, they are the future in Carlow. County football is finished it seems. Nobody cares anymore...its all about the club. Thats why i haven't bothered to post on this thread up to now. Even i who have all the years have gone to every game has totally lost interest in them :-[

Has Lukie lost the confidence already???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

stevecw

Yeah he sure has, but to be honest i don't know if anybody would be capable of sorting us out really.

Hard to know why it has gone so horribly wrong this year. Most people were happy with Luke being appointed. But 1st couple of games went bad in league and it has just been embarrasing since. Even players who have proven to be good are playing way way below their best, and there is zero confidence in the team.

With the rate players are dropping out of panel, we will have a seriously weakened squad come the Louth game in Championship. Wouldn't surprise me if Luke walks away before then anyway.

Gold

wheres Evan Doyle--he looked like a proper player in the O'Byrne Cup last year--what club does he play for?

stevecw

Evan Doyle is still on the panel. But he is actually not a good player at all. Way too slow for county level. He is usually a sub now, but due to falling numbers has started the last 2 games.

I remember the game last year v Dublin that you would have seen as it was live on Setanta. He was excellent that night, but that was his one and only really good game. No idea how he played so well, as he hasn't come anywhere close to that standard since sadly for us.

His club is Tinryland.