These New Rules are a joke

Started by BallyhaiseMan, January 03, 2009, 09:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

IMO they are stupid. Bring back the sin bin and give it a decent chance this time. It has been tried and tested in other games as a success and there is no reason why it couldn't work in our games!

The GAA

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on January 18, 2009, 03:56:33 PM
I thought he was quite sensible about applying the new rules and probably didn't apply them as much as he could have.  He did let a awful lot go and didn't have much choice with the yellows.

He was a poor ref then?

Rossfan

And who'd  count the 7 minutes at a  U16 Div 3 League game on a Tuesday evening in Croghan?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

Quote from: AFS on January 18, 2009, 07:00:20 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on January 18, 2009, 06:36:43 PM
And who'd  count the 7 minutes at a  U16 Div 3 League game on a Tuesday evening in Croghan?

Well equally, where are the U16 Div 3 teams in Croghan gonna get the 5 or 6 extra lads that they'll need as replacements for every game if these new rules are kept in place?
Is it necessary that new rules be applied to club/underage level? Could they not just be applicable to inter-county games?

screenexile

Most ref's have 2 watches anyway how hard would it be to count 7 minutes on another watch or even to add 7 minutes from the time of the offence? If a ref forgot then I'm sure most decent managers would remind them when the 7 minutes are up... it's not rocket science!

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: The GAA on January 18, 2009, 04:10:48 PM
I thought he was quite sensible about applying the new rules and probably didn't apply them as much as he could have.  He did let a awful lot go and didn't have much choice with the yellows.

He was a poor ref then?

Why would he have been poor because he used a wee bit of common sense?  We all know these rules really don't work very well when applied to the letter of the law.  They really cannot be allowed to be used in the National League never mind beyond this , God forbid.

AZOffaly

The real travesty is that they are also being applied harshly in hurling. 2 Offaly lads and 1 Galway lad got the line yesterday, for very little. If one of them gets another, they're going to miss 2 weeks? Bananas.

magpie seanie

I cannot believe the suspension thing. Pure crazy. There'll be some craic for CCC's up and down the country keeping track of that if it comes in!

Refs have gone easy on the cards so as to reduce the outcry. Does the David Coldrick miked up game not leave people smelling a rat? No yellow cards in the game - what a coincidence!

I thought initially that there was no way these rules would be accepted but there is serious power behind this and a serious PR campaign being waged so I'm not so sure they will be beaten. It will alter the nature of Gaelic football quite radically.

cavan4ever

Cavan Armagh game was the same. Sensible refereeing but if there was an accessor there he would have got a bad score.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 19, 2009, 02:36:21 PM
I cannot believe the suspension thing. Pure crazy. There'll be some craic for CCC's up and down the country keeping track of that if it comes in!

Refs have gone easy on the cards so as to reduce the outcry. Does the David Coldrick miked up game not leave people smelling a rat? No yellow cards in the game - what a coincidence!

I thought initially that there was no way these rules would be accepted but there is serious power behind this and a serious PR campaign being waged so I'm not so sure they will be beaten. It will alter the nature of Gaelic football quite radically.

The rule itself, I'm willing to see how it plays out over time, but the suspensions is crazy. It sounds like they didn't give any thought to it at all. I wouldn't mind a lad getting 4 or 5 Yellows over the year getting a ban, but 2 is just nuts.

screenexile

Yeah I don't know about the suspension thing. The Queen's manager highlighted that he was confident they could have gotten a player off quite easily who had been carded twice inside a few weeks.

Along with that Derry have had a player sent off 3 times in 3 weeks and another twice in 2 weeks and neither of them have sat out yet unless maybe there was no official notification received.

Carmen Stateside

Have they decided yet if they are using the new rules in the League yet?
Not a great fan of them myself!

Canalman

Having watched a few matches on TG4 and a Walsh Cup game in person I will give the changes a tentative seal of approval. This is because imo the refs in question were sensible in their interperatation of the rule and seemed to give the benefit of the doubt to the players.
However I fear that some day soon some ref is going to lose the plot and scupper the new rules with a pedantic approach.

Denn Forever

Pundits/Fans fear the new rules will not work in the heat of battle or more especially during a game with a lot at stake.  Why?

A foul is a foul.  

Has there been any controversy with respect to the yellow card?  Surely it is better that a player with a yellow card (assuming it is warrented) is replaced than be sent off in the old sense for a second yellow that he may pick up.

Watching on TG4, the gamesseem to flow better with less pulling or dragging.

What do others think?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The GAA

They're a nonsense to me. The referee's workload has actually been increased and i have no doubt whatsoever that the intention at croke park level is to "sanitise" the game and make it a more apppealing package to soccer moms.

physical contact is a very appealing part of the game. these rules are aimed at reducing it by legislation and by threat