O'Byrne Cup 2009 - The Real All-Ireland

Started by thejuice, December 17, 2008, 04:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Dublin team named. Mainly U21s, but 5 of the "development squad" who beat Offaly last week retain their starting places. Jim Gavin will manage the team this week.

Dominic McDonnell (St Sylvester's)
Colin Moore (Ballymun Kickhams), Gary OConnell (Erin's Isle), Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens)
Johnny Cooper (Na Fianna), Chris Deasy (Thomas Davis), Declan Lally (St Brigid's)
John Sheanon (Cuala), Declan OMahony (Ballyboden St Enda's)
Dean Kelly (Trinity Gaels), Cathal Morley (Templeogue/Synge St), John OBrien (Round Towers C)
Chris Carthy (St Maur's), Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams), Ted Furman (Ballymun Kickhams)

Subs: Ciarán Walsh (Thomas Davis), Seánie Murray (St Brigids), Nicky Devereux (Ballinteer St John's), Vinnie Whelan (St Maur's), Shane McCann (Ballinteer St John's), Neal Billings (St Vincent's), David Quinn (Lucan Sarsfields), Niall Collins (St Pat's, Donabate), Kevin Devine (Clontarf), Derek Byrne (Ballymun Kickhams), Brian Kirby (Thomas Davis), James OConnor (Thomas Davis).

INDIANA

could be a few changes to that team as well. We've written off the o byrne cup completely. only about 4/5 of the 10 u21 players named will start for dublin in the u21 championship. thats how understrength it is. I hope to God the management know what they are at because there is a lot of guys in la manga who will exit the squad not having played any matches. So its the national league before we'll know anything. If wicklow can't win on sunday, my advice would be to retire.

Billys Boots

I think it's good to see some of the Fingal lads getting a run or at least a 'trial' irrespective of the result.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Croí na hÉireann

Does anyone know where the weekend's matches are going to be hosted? Not Park's mentioned on leinster gaa and the O'Byrne Cup doesn't even exist on gaa.ie  ::)
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Shamrock Shore

stevecw

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 09, 2009, 10:17:25 AM
Does anyone know where the weekend's matches are going to be hosted? Not Park's mentioned on leinster gaa and the O'Byrne Cup doesn't even exist on gaa.ie  ::)

O'BYRNE CUP S.F. 2009
Sunday,11th January 2009
Pearse Park, Longford (2.15pm) - Longford v Louth
Parnell Park(2.00pm) - Dublin v Wicklow
Newbridge (2.00pm) - Kildare v Meath
DCU Sports Grounds, Ballymun Road (2.30pm) - D.C.U. v D.I.T.

O'BYRNE CUP SHIELDS.F. 2009
Sunday,11th January 2009
Portarlington(2.00pm) - Laois v Kilkenny
Athlone I.T. Grounds (2.00pm) - Athlone I.T. v U.C.D.
Tullamore (2.00pm) - Offaly v Carlow
Monamolin (Buffers Alley Pitch) (2.00pm) - Wexford v Westmeath

Croí na hÉireann

Thanks stevecw, good thing I didn't head to Wexford Park on autopilot, you'd think if the GAA were gonna hold matches outside the principal ground in the county they'd at least publish this  >:( Now to find directions...

[Edit] Got them

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 05, 2009, 08:40:49 PM
The 'bihatimber' competiton is Luke's for the taking. Will he be able to keep the 'bihatimber' for ever if he wins it for a third time?

However if Laois decide to concentrate on defending it then, who knows.

Luke's bandwagon rolls over the Biffos, with Westmeed next on the target list.

Meanwhile ourselves and the Biffs can look forward to a two-month ding-dong battle for the coveted Division 3 Wooden Spoon as it's the only bihatimber either is likely to see this year....  :'(
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

thejuice

WExford - Westmeath seemed like a good game from reading reports. MEath didnt do so well, squandering a lead, ah well wont lose sleep over it.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I'm not so sure we will win the All-Ireland now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: thejuice on January 11, 2009, 07:08:51 PM
WExford - Westmeath seemed like a good game from reading reports. MEath didnt do so well, squandering a lead, ah well wont lose sleep over it.

Was indeed a good game considering the high winds, constant drizzle and near darkness on occasions. Great to give the young lads another competitive outing to impress, hopefully the weather is kinder to them next week. They all showed glimpses of potential but no consistency. Surprised to see Claffey (who was outstanding last week) not starting but maybe O'Flaherta has already got him earmarked. Browne in the middle looks the part but is nowhere near competitive enough in the air, went off at half time so maybe he was carrying an injury. Best wishes to the Wexford keeper who had to be stretchered off with what looked like a broken leg. The full back, Murphy I think, looked solid and was probably the most impressive from a WH perspective. Onwards now to Mullingar with the visit of Queens County next week I think...

The Real Laoislad

O'Byrne Cup Shield

Laois 4-18
Donie Brennan 1-4, Chris Bergin 1-3, Zach Tuohy 1-1, Shane Conlon 0-4 (1f), Eoin Kavanagh 1-0 (o.g.), Peter McNulty 0-2, Peter O'Leary, Padraig Clancy, Brian McCormack, Jason Horan 0-1 each

Kilkenny 1-4
Eddie Brennan 0-4 (3f), Philip Roche 1-0
You'll Never Walk Alone.

imtommygunn

Eddie Brennan - not the hurling Eddie Brennan??

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 12, 2009, 02:28:42 PM
Eddie Brennan - not the hurling Eddie Brennan??

Possibly, I know he plays football in the winter to keep fit...

laoisgaa

definitely not the hurling Eddie Brennan - this crops up every year! two different Eddie Brennan's!