MLAs to get £500 salary rise

Started by Onion Bag, December 03, 2008, 12:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

MLAs set to get £500 salary rise 

An independent body is expected to recommend a pay increase for assembly members of about 3.5% - a far lower figure than predicted.

The Senior Salaries Review Body report is due to be published later this week.

According to an assembly source, the body has recommended MLAs get a £500 a year increase, bringing them to about three quarters of an MP's salary.

It is also thought it is recommending a cut in the mileage rate paid to assembly members for official travel.

It is also said to be questioning the level of office cost allowances paid to assembly members who are also MPs.

At the start of the year an internal assembly document obtained by the BBC predicted a pay rise of 16% for MLAs.

The Senior Salaries Review Body recommends pay levels for MPs at Westminster, Stormont assembly members and their counterparts in Scotland and Wales.

Whats peoples thoughts on this? Personally i would have give them a pay cut, they didnt exactly do a big pile, anyone agree?

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

themanwhowasntthere

Great - everybody else gets screwed & held to 2% & those lazy sods get 3.5 well deserved %.

When's the next election, till I tell 'em to get the feck off my doorstep?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

lynchbhoy

wouldnt be thinking any politician should get a hike right now
should be linked with enconomic growth !

would also hope that the mlp's, parties and councillors have 'Internet access' cut as an expense - as a cause of the 'bard of dumbclug's' actions !  :D

Donagh

Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on December 03, 2008, 01:44:35 PM
Great - everybody else gets screwed & held to 2% & those lazy sods get 3.5 well deserved %.

Are most pay deals not inflation linked? I think I got 5% plus my yearly increase due to the high inflation rate over the last year.

full back

Quote from: Donagh on December 03, 2008, 02:36:24 PM
Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on December 03, 2008, 01:44:35 PM

Are most pay deals not inflation linked? I think I got 5% plus my yearly increase due to the high inflation rate over the last year.

If you dont do your job properly or take a 5 week break do you keep your job or still get paid?

Donagh

Quote from: full back on December 03, 2008, 02:40:32 PM
If you dont do your job properly or take a 5 week break do you keep your job or still get paid?

I'm not defending the pay rise, as I think they are overpaid as it is, but £500 a year is probably in and around what most people are getting due to the rate of inflation.

Pangurban

Quality people deserve quality pay, unfortunately we have got quantity instead of quality, in terms of the numbers of MLAs and assorted hanger ons, and their cost to the Tax-payer.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Pangurban on December 03, 2008, 07:17:07 PM
Quality people deserve quality pay, unfortunately we have got quantity instead of quality, in terms of the numbers of MLAs and assorted hanger ons, and their cost to the Tax-payer.
If only that wasn't true...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something