irish name spelling

Started by phpearse, November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phpearse

anyone know the irish spelling for Lauren McCrory.

Gnevin

Quote from: phpearse on November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM
Yeah something along the lines of Lauren McCrory. I hate made up Irish names
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Donagh

Quote from: phpearse on November 26, 2008, 12:29:05 PM

Lára Ní Ruairí?

fitzroyalty

mylestheslasher

I don't see how it would be a made up name Gnevin. McCrory is clearly anglised gaelic since it has a "Mc" in it. Lauren on the other hand probably doesn't have a direct translation into irish.

Gnevin

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 26, 2008, 12:37:07 PM
I don't see how it would be a made up name Gnevin. McCrory is clearly anglised gaelic since it has a "Mc" in it. Lauren on the other hand probably doesn't have a direct translation into irish.
The fact it is girls name is Lauren McCrory. When you go to France you don't change your name to be more French. Its a annoying practice the GAA should do away with.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2008, 12:40:27 PM
The fact it is girls name is Lauren McCrory. When you go to France you don't change your name to be more French. Its a annoying practice the GAA should do away with.

eh yeah ya do, you say it in a french accent

Lecale2

I have never understood this whole Irish name thing and the GAA. Your name is your name and you can decide to spell it what ever way you like provided there is no intention to commit fraud.

Translating names like Lauren into Irish is nonsense. You may as well try to translate Seamus into Vietnamese.

Donagh

If you lived in France rather than holidaying there you might consider it. 

phpearse

I'll go with Lára Níc Ruairí.

You can carry on with thedebate on the GAA insisting on using Irish spellings for Irish names.

Donagh

Quote from: Lecale2 on November 26, 2008, 12:42:51 PM
I have never understood this whole Irish name thing and the GAA. Your name is your name and you can decide to spell it what ever way you like provided there is no intention to commit fraud.

Translating names like Lauren into Irish is nonsense. You may as well try to translate Seamus into Vietnamese.

The Vietnamese often Anglocise their names when they come here so Seamus should make an effort when he goes there.

Gnevin

Quote from: Donagh on November 26, 2008, 12:44:25 PM

If you lived in France rather than holidaying there you might consider it. 
No my name is my name I'm not going to change it or invent one for some stupid rule

Donagh

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2008, 12:46:28 PM
No my name is my name I'm not going to change it or invent one for some stupid rule

No need to invent it or change it, but would be seen as courtesy to modify it so it is more amenable to the spoken language around you and hence more manageable for the people around you. 

Gnevin

Quote from: Donagh on November 26, 2008, 12:50:27 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2008, 12:46:28 PM

No need to invent it or change it, but would be seen as courtesy to modify it so it is more amenable to the spoken language around you and hence more manageable for the people around you. 
Well i might do that if in China or somewhere but this whole Irish name thing is crap. It's just random fada's and  O's or Mc's

thejuice

Whats the Irish translation for Teboga Sebala,

the f**king tramps in Carlow certainly werent using it  >:(
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016