All Ireland Club Hurling Championship

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 20, 2008, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

a Ballinasloe man calling somewhere else bleak, that's a laugh.

These unionist firms don't take paddys day off you know.

cicfada

I am from ahascragh if you must know....it's an awful insult to be  saying I am from Ballinasloe!!Anyway good luck with that TG4 player! Happy Paddy's Day!!

maxpower

really looking forward to this clash, of course i would have preferred Dunloy to be involved but there can be no doubt the two best club sides in Ireland will be in action tomorrow.

will Ballyhale play a man back to shore up the defence and if they do would that hand the initiative to Portumna.  i think they will play possibly Cha back and the key may well be reducing kevinn hayes influence who was very close to MoM in semi and Galway final.

fancy a cagey enough game with the Joe canning/damien hayes twin threat proving the difference by a point
What happens next????

Bord na Mona man

I suppose you'd give the edge to Portumna to win this one.
I wouldn't be a biggest fan of their style of hurling. Too much of a brute force running game to make them enjoyable to watch.

If the Ballyhale defence can soak it up and the maybe half backs sit deeper to protect the full back line, then maybe they won't hemorrhage goals like the last time the teams met. Portumna got 5-11 last year, so there is a starting point at least.
If Ballyhale could turn into an accuracy contest they might have the edge because of point takers of the calibre of TJ Reid and Shefflin. Whereas Joe Canning isn't surrounded by a cast of accurate snipers.

Hopefully it will be a good one. Too many club hurling finals have been one-sided lately.

Lecale2

Quote from: cicfada on March 16, 2010, 05:13:17 PM
I am from ahascragh if you must know....it's an awful insult to be  saying I am from Ballinasloe!!Anyway good luck with that TG4 player! Happy Paddy's Day!!

:D :D :D. I'll have one for you Johnny!

Two Hands FFS

Could be decided whoever concedes the least frees. Shefflin & Canning will get around 10 points tomorrow from frees. Ballyhale will want to make sure they dont concede many Penaltys or 20 metre frees as Canning normally bags at least 1 per game.

Expect alot of tackling & big hits especially at the start & then alot more space in the 2nd half.. Cha wasnt fit in the semi final last year & Ballyhale will want him back on top form. Portumna will improve from the semi final as they always just done enough. Hopefull be a great game as these hyped up finals often dont live up their potential.

cicfada

I would love Portumna to win but the script is there for Ballyhale to win. I hope Joe's groin is ok as he needs to be on full power for them to win!!!

Lecale2

Ballyhale can do it.They have more quality players.

johnneycool

Quote from: Lecale2 on March 17, 2010, 07:17:25 AM
Ballyhale can do it.They have more quality players.

Splitting hairs there Lecale as Portumna have a good smattering as well.

I think it mightn'd be the score fest that some hope it to be, but I prefer the fiesty, hard hitting stuff rather than the high scoring pitch opening type games that you sometimes get.

Ballyhale will be bursting to get at it after last years semi-final and I'd expect them to start the quicker but I still fancy Portumna by one or two points in the end.

Minder

Will the Tribesmen be able to skin the Cats?

That's what I want to know  ;D

Ballyhale by 3
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I know Ballyhale will be fired up for it, and with the likes of Cha and Shefflin they have the players, but I just think they are a team on a plateau, or even beginning the down slide.

Portumna are the best club hurling team I've seen, and that includes the great Birr side.

Ballyhale could come up with some great defensive strategy to counteract the Portumna running game, and if they do they have a chance. Canning is a great young player, but he is not unmarkable from open play, so if Cummins gets to grips with him, and the Hayes' are held, Ballyhale will win. However, that's an awful lot of 'ifs' and in a final, I tend to tip on the basis of the less variables so on that basis I'd be saying Portumna by 5 or 6 points.

GalwayBayBoy

Bit of a non-event so far. Portumna look very flat today and off the pace bar Joe Canning. Maybe all the years on the road finally beginning to catch up with them.

imtommygunn

I dunno yet.

If the right ball lands on top of Canning I wouldn't have faith in that ful back. I think there's goals in him yet.

Also Damien Hayes was anonymous but seems to have realised he'll get more joy foraging out the field. You'll see a lot mor of him second half I think.

TJ Reid best player on pitch so far.

glens73

Ballyhale's hunger could be the difference

AZOffaly

Jaysus. Wrong, wrong, wrong me.

Ballyhale are too strong for them, and are completely negating the Portumna forwards.