All Ireland Club Hurling Championship

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 20, 2008, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: hardstation on February 24, 2009, 11:40:20 PM
When playing against Canning, giving a line ball away, in your own half is like giving a 21 yard free away. Managers should bate the ballix out of the 'lines balls givers awayers'.

Not necessarily. An analyst on GBFM said that someone did the stats on JC and that he points only something like 1 in 4, which was his average last Sunday I'd say. (The same analyst suggested that Joe may be better off dropping the ball short - bloody eejit, you should never pass up a legitimate scoring oppurtunity.)

maxpower

I'd like the same analyst to find out what percentage of line balls in the attacking half end up as scores for all other teams.  I'd imagine its nowhere near 25%
What happens next????

johnneycool

Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2009, 11:19:54 AM
When playing against Canning, giving a line ball away, in your own half is like giving a 21 yard free away. Managers should bate the ballix out of the 'lines balls givers awayers'.

Not necessarily. An analyst on GBFM said that someone did the stats on JC and that he points only something like 1 in 4, which was his average last Sunday I'd say. (The same analyst suggested that Joe may be better off dropping the ball short - bloody eejit, you should never pass up a legitimate scoring oppurtunity.)

Using the same analagy then you'd support forwards shooting from tight angles as it would be a legitimate scoring opportunity. I think that you need to take the best option as it presents itself. If joe had a big target man hovering around the square he might be better placed dropping it in or playing it down the line to a colleague who's got himself a bit of space in the same manner as a forward in a tight angle should look for the incoming runners and if none are available then take the shot on.

As for defending a line ball, I'd put a player as close as the ref would allow (if not closer) and make him wave the hurl in the air as you'd need to be conscious of getting the ball over him as well as the bar, might work probably not all the time but it certainly beats standing 40 metres away watching the white flag being raised (well 25% of the time)

Minder

Quote from: maxpower on February 25, 2009, 01:09:16 PM
I'd like the same analyst to find out what percentage of line balls in the attacking half end up as scores for all other teams.  I'd imagine its nowhere near 25%

Good point, I would say it would be less than 10%.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

GalwayBayBoy

I think you have to let Canning have a go at them. Granted some days he may only get 1 in 4 but other days like the Fitzgibbon final last year he scored 4 points from sideline cuts I think. Hitting the ball in towards the square is no guarantee of a score either especially when the opposing team will have so many bodies back there.

theskull1

Be inclined to agree. Points scored as a result of moments of individal brilliance hurt a team a wee bit more than your box standard ones

Joe Cooney comes to mind  :'(
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

milltown row

Quote from: johnneycool on February 25, 2009, 01:21:01 PM
Quote from: mouview on February 25, 2009, 11:19:54 AM

Using the same analagy then you'd support forwards shooting from tight angles as it would be a legitimate scoring opportunity. I think that you need to take the best option as it presents itself. If joe had a big target man hovering around the square he might be better placed dropping it in or playing it down the line to a colleague who's got himself a bit of space in the same manner as a forward in a tight angle should look for the incoming runners and if none are available then take the shot on.

As for defending a line ball, I'd put a player as close as the ref would allow (if not closer) and make him wave the hurl in the air as you'd need to be conscious of getting the ball over him as well as the bar, might work probably not all the time but it certainly beats standing 40 metres away watching the white flag being raised (well 25% of the time)

thats a foul johnny

Glensman

Milltown - can a player not stand with his arms and therefore stick in the air without moving? Is it the moving bit that is a free?
I agree with this tactic and it might work.

I actually just got to watch the Portumna match last night there, well the first half of it. Saving the second for another installment.

It was unbleievable. Maybe I'm getting carried away but the tenactity of Portumna I haven't really seen before, even at county level. It is actually a testament to Ballyhale's hurling ability that they weren't beat out the gate. I looked at the clock expecting it to be near half time and 14 mins were gone.
Will be very interesting to see how De La Salle try to combat it.

Question - saw it somewhere else on here - can you watch games on TG4's website after the event? Are they all saved?

maxpower

Do de la salle have any chance tomorrow?

Would like to think it could be a good game but i fear Portumna will come out in the first 15 minutes and whip up a storm that DLS can't live with and the game with peter out
What happens next????

Lecale2

Quote from: maxpower on March 16, 2009, 11:28:36 AM
Do de la salle have any chance tomorrow?

Would like to think it could be a good game but i fear Portumna will come out in the first 15 minutes and whip up a storm that DLS can't live with and the game with peter out

Can't see it. Only one outcome IMO - big win for the Galway side.

thejuice

Looking forward to it, might not be an even contest but there should be some great hurling. If they could bring Portumna's intensity to the Galway team it wouldnt be too long before they win Liam McCarthy I reckon.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Croí na hÉireann

If Portumna hurl anywhere near what they produced against Ballyhale they'll walk this, else DLS have a right chance...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

thejuice

15 Mins
Portumna 0-4
De La Salle 0-1

Close enough so far, DLS aren't getting pushed of it by any means. They're fighting for every ball and the Portumna forwards arent getting that much space.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

imtommygunn

Game over.

"No look" pass by Canning.

Awesome stuff.

thejuice

Aye, over now. feckin hell, not even 20 mins into it. 'Work Like Dogs' is right.