GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

Quote from: rosnarun on November 18, 2008, 12:44:15 AM
because of the amatuer nature of the GAA the player should never be named but he should be Quietly withdrawn from what ever panel he is on and not given a jersey again as Frankie sheehan should never have been picked for munster rugby  again . I now associate Munster  with Drug Cheats and it belittles their achievements. esp the way they rallied around him and   tried to brush it all under the carpet  much like the o'connor lynch kuertain stories  all claimed it  was a mistake .Fair play to Cathal lombard at least he said Fair cop when he was caught out being a cheating b**tard.

A bit harsh, try to see it from the other side. what if he was was astmatic. Im astmatic and play county and have to use inhales to contorl my asthma. I thought drugs testing was only used for pro athletes, and while county lads get a few quid, its not enough to play football and hurling full time. Im unsure what to make of this, It might make me reconsider taking that epo....

As for the munster rugby, how many of them fella's are teaching, brick laying, the day after a major game, its a different sport and should be treated as should.
Pull hard and early

blanketattack

The player was revealed on Vincent Browne's show and is being revealed in Tuesday's Irish Times (currently online). I think they should have waited until they had investigated it further. The Irish Times might have trouble getting interviews off Kerry players in the future.

stephenite

youngfella

Quote from: stephenite on November 18, 2008, 01:52:20 AM
Can't find it in the Irish Times online?

nor me, article about the PR of Cork was awful
Pull hard and early

stephenite

Found it - link below.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/1118/1226700697226.html

* As this information is already published online from a reputable source I see no problem in posting the link - if anyone wants me to remove the link, let me know.

rosnarun

QuoteAs for the munster rugby, how many of them fella's are teaching, brick laying, the day after a major game, its a different sport and should be treated as so

and thats why i did not want him named . the only way to save sport is absoute accountability as they do in athletis . if something is in your system its your responsibility.
uinder that system there can be no excuse. if the lad made a mistake its tough but we need to look out for the greater good here.
Its a disgrace that  he has been named . this could be a very serious black mark against him in his chosen career. .
i still say a quiet  ban would have been the best thing and and we could still have got the message across how serious braking Drug rules are taken with out undue hardship to an  amateur  player
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Off The Fence

So according to the Irish Star  it was O'Mahoney then?

Personally I think its a load of balls!

If the lad has asthma, the lad has asthma.  I wouldnt have thought it would have enhanced his performance in any way! 

This could be a tricky one!

RMDrive

From what I heard on the radio this morning it's probably one of 2 situations:
1. They measured more than 2000ng (I think that's what they said) in his sample which is the level above which you cannot have only inhaled it, and his authorisation to use that product was submitted to the authorities correctly.
2. Notification of his need for that inhaler WASN'T submitted properly and they measured ANY level of it.

orangeman

O'Mahony was named on 2fm and is a known asthmatic - so much ado about nothing.

man in black

It probably is much ado about nothing, the guidelines need to be set out more clearly so that players are totally clear what they can or cannot take. There are drugs out there with nasty side effects such as uncharacteristic aggression and general narkiness, lord knows we dont need that.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

rory

It doesn't matter if he's an astmatic or not.  If he is and he has declared the drug, he is allowed to take a regular dose of it no problem.  The problem comes if he takes a few extra puffs of the inhaler before a game.  This exceeds the stated dose and is therefore considered illegal.  You might think that a couple of puffs shouldn't make a difference, but those are the rules and he would know them.  If he does have a higher dose in his body it would be seen as giving him an unfair advantage.

On the subject of asthma in athletes, there was a guy on the radio last night saying how the number of athletes claiming to be asthmatic has shot up over the last while, pretty much doubling from olympics to olympics.  It seems most aren't but can get away with taking inhalers etc 'cos they claim to be asthmatic.

cavan4ever

Quote from: man in black on November 18, 2008, 09:10:50 AM
It probably is much ado about nothing, the guidelines need to be set out more clearly so that players are totally clear what they can or cannot take. There are drugs out there with nasty side effects such as uncharacteristic aggression and general narkiness, lord knows we dont need that.

Any drugs to make you fall over after a wee tap on the face?

Main Street

O´Mahoney has a good explanation. He has been asthmatic since he was a boy and is one of those who has been able to play at the highest level despite it. He has an exemption to use asthma medicine
At the time of him giving a urine sample he would have been asked 'are you taking any medication' he would have answered  yes.

If all that is so, then it is mainly a questions that the levels found in his system are consistent with prescribed use.
At the very worst, he has a bit too much in his system which is quite normal, then his doctor will explain how that happened.

magpie seanie

Its an absolute disgrace that an amateur player has been named in this way.

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 18, 2008, 10:16:24 AM
Its an absolute disgrace that an amateur player has been named in this way.

I'd be surprised if he didn't give permission Seanie - and he's dead right. Trying to cover up his name only serves to heighten suspicion and headlines, he's got a pretty savvy solicitor in his corner