GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=348&Itemid=2

QuoteCoiste Chontae Chiarrai wishes to confirm that a member of the Kerry Senior Football panel is granted a hearing in relation to medication he used for asthma following a test after the All Ireland Final.  The player's asthma has been pre notified to the Sports Council since the GAA's anti doping policy came in a few years ago.  Coiste Chontae Chiarrai and the player are happy to co-operate with the hearing and are confident the player will be exonerated.

tyrone exile

Norf Tyrone

Gone ahead....I'll take a PM as well. However GH's quote there from the Kerry County board suggests it's a non story.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GAAboardmod1

Since this has already risen to a pretty high profile story in a matter of houses, I would like for posters to remember the rules on allegations made against players as stated in the stickies at the top of each forum page.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=8836.0

If anybody hints at who it is without proper evidence and isn't able to back it up, the matter will be taken in a very dim view by us mods.

I trust you guys can understand why this is, and credit to the lads who posted here already know the players identity and kept it to themselves until we know more.

RMDrive

Does anyone else think that the GPA releasing the statement that they did may only have added fuel to the fire? The whole "we will support the player" thing almost makes it sound like there is substance to it? Why did they need to release a statement. Why not just offer the support and leave it at that?

muppet

Hopefully this is an innocent mistake.

MidLouth this is Ireland. If it is not possible for the Government to keep quiet about probably nationalising a bank, as the Indo claimed yesterday (see bank shares today as a result), then dont expect the Gaa to be able to keep a drugs story under its hat.

I agree with POG. This is a serious story and has to be seen to be well handled by the parties involved. If it is proved that there has been a breach of the rules, expect a ban.

It is not unreasonable to be concerned about Asthma treatments in sport though. Google athletes and astham and you get lots of ahits on articles hinting at abuse of otherwise socially useful drugs.

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/8-4-2002-23798.asp

New IOC chief is determined to ensure cheats don't prosper, reports Kevin Mitchell.

It is some wheeze: pretend you're an asthmatic, take the drugs and do what asthma sufferers sometimes find very difficult - run fast.

But when Kim Collins tested positive for Salbutamol after winning the 100 metres in Manchester last weekend, only to be exonerated when he told officials he was, in fact, an asthmatic but his national organisation had forgotten to pass the documentation on, it was no joke for athletics.

And now Olympic and world officials have entered the argument in an attempt to clear up the confusion over one of sport's most idiotic loopholes.

Jacques Rogge, while not pointing the finger at Collins, finds it hard to believe all athletes who register as asthmatics are genuine. And the IOC president has a warning for those athletes who offer lame excuses when convicted: 'If you are caught, you will hang.'

Rogge, an orthopaedic surgeon, said, 'We have allowed for some drugs for asthmatic patients. As long as they declare it, as long as they have a medical check-up to show they are genuinely asthmatic, they can use Salbutamol, which is a very good drug. And that is perfectly legal. The problem is that too many athletes pretend that they have asthma, but that's what's happening in life.'

He did say on Friday that the levels of Salbutamol in Collins's system were within acceptable limits. But the room for confusion remains.

Dick Pound, the head of the World Anti-Doping Agency, revealed that a survey taken after the Sydney Olympics showed 'a remarkable number' of athletes registering as asthmatics.

'What the survey found was pockets of extremely brave athletes who have apparently overcome asthma,' he said, with a twist of cynicism, although he was making no comment on Collins. 'Canada, Australia, Britain and Germany were the countries mentioned.'

Rogge, meanwhile, says he is suspicious of other protestations of innocence, particularly the claims that either legal additives or samples have been spoiled.

'There are some cases of contamination, but the athletes have been warned. Athletes - and I was an athlete - we are very selfish individuals. You are so focused, you want to succeed, you are very demanding, want the best coach in the world, good training conditions, the best sparring partners, you will not compromise for anything but the best. And they will take any drug, without even checking, without asking what's in the box? I can't believe that. And, if they do, they are damn stupid. So we've warned them.'
MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

This whole story is a sad result of the dodgy road we are going down.

Louth Exile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 17, 2008, 10:05:20 PM

QuoteCoiste Chontae Chiarrai wishes to confirm that a member of the Kerry Senior Football panel is granted a hearing in relation to medication he used for asthma following a test after the All Ireland Final.  The player's asthma has been pre notified to the Sports Council since the GAA's anti doping policy came in a few years ago.  Coiste Chontae Chiarrai and the player are happy to co-operate with the hearing and are confident the player will be exonerated.

I trust that the Kerry County Board statement will hold true. Therefore, this is non story, end of!!
If there wasn't asthma involved then it would be a whole other issue, seeing as there is, no story!

St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

highking

I would appreciate a PM here also, if anyone knows.

orangeman

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 17, 2008, 11:43:15 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 17, 2008, 10:05:20 PM

I trust that the Kerry County Board statement will hold true. Therefore, this is non story, end of!!
If there wasn't asthma involved then it would be a whole other issue, seeing as there is, no story!

No story here lads - move on

pedro

From 2001 when the GAA originally signed up to it

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2001/0710/gaa.html

that's me corrected then! Lads, in all fairness comparing a Kerry footballer to the likes of cyclists and sprinters iis a little harsh. These are quys who are part of a team, not part of a solo event. To me, it is a matter of the player/doctor/management not declaring the inhaler or not filling out the forms correctly. While I'm not naive enough to think that every GAA player is squeaky clean, I think this is more down to a mistake. The media reporting is a bit much IMO. This is the type of story which could blacken a players name (and his career) never mind any ban that he faces.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

Quote from: highking on November 17, 2008, 11:53:35 PM

I would appreciate a PM here also, if anyone knows.

Why?? So you can know which one of the Kerry lads has Asthma  ::)
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

rosnarun

because of the amatuer nature of te GAA the player should never be named but he should be Quietly withdrawn from what ever panel he is on and not given a jersey again as Frankie sheehan should never have been picked for munster rugby  again . I now associate Munster  with Drug Cheats and it belittles their achievements. esp the way they rallied around him and   tried to brush it all under the carpet  much like the o'connor lynch kuertain stories  all claimed it  was a mistake .Fair play to Cathal lombard at least he said Fair cop when he was caught out being a cheating bastard.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

orangeman

Quote from: rosnarun on November 18, 2008, 12:44:15 AM
because of the amatuer nature of te GAA the player should never be named but he should be Quietly withdrawn from what ever panel he is on and not given a jersey again as Frankie sheehan should never have been picked for munster rugby  again . I now associate Munster  with Drug Cheats and it belittles their achievements. esp the way they rallied around him and   tried to brush it all under the carpet  much like the o'connor lynch kuertain stories  all claimed it  was a mistake .Fair play to Cathal lombard at least he said Fair cop when he was caught out being a cheating b**tard.

You're having a laugh I hope ?