GAA player test positive in drugs test.

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 17, 2008, 01:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 18, 2008, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 18, 2008, 12:30:34 PM
So you would prefer if there was no testing at all? Allow players/teams to use what ever they want! All becasue they are amateur.
Yes, inform the players of the health risks (if any) of using substances as proscribed by the IOC etc, and leave it at that.

So it's OK for a clean amateur to have to be competing against a 'dirty' amateur (in your book), despite the massive personal sacrifices that clean individual may be making in pursuit of sporting excellence, only to be beaten because the opposing individual took performance-enhancing drugs (and not referring to O'Mahony here)?
If there are health issues associated with the performance enhancing substances, who is making the sacrifice, if there aren't why ban them?  If it's about people competing on a level playing field, do you think that happens at the moment?  Would you accept that a Tyrone footballer has a better opportunity to compete at the highest level than a Tipp footballer?

Quote from: Hound on November 18, 2008, 01:26:40 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 12:13:48 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 18, 2008, 12:04:09 PMI am totally against those posters who say intercounty GAA should not be subject to drug testing. Of course it should be. Makes no difference if its amateur, there can be no room for drugs in our sport. 
[/b]
Yeah, cos testing has proven so effective amongst professionals

:D :D :D :D :D :D
Genius.
Finally someone who sees sense ;)

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maiden1 on November 18, 2008, 02:46:39 PM
If he asthma and the enhaler has this drug there is nothing much he can do about it.  Lots of club players use inhalers, I wonder what percentage of them would fail a drugs test.  If the drug found was nandrolin or something like that then that would be a different matter.
I wonder what percentage would be found to have taken recreational drugs - or would usage amongst the population as a whole not be reflected amongst gaa club players?

orangeman

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 02:56:27 PM
If he asthma and the enhaler has this drug there is nothing much he can do about it.  Lots of club players use inhalers, I wonder what percentage of them would fail a drugs test.  If the drug found was nandrolin or something like that then that would be a different matter.
I wonder what percentage would be found to have taken recreational drugs - or would usage amongst the population as a whole not be reflected amongst gaa club players?

Very few I'd say.

RMDrive

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 02:56:27 PM

Would the alcohol consumption figures for IC players be lower than the population as a whole? I'd guess it would be so is it safe to assume that the usage of illegal drugs (recreational?!) would be lower as well?

ludermor

There are health issues with almost every drug legal or illegal, some stuff you can buy over the counter some you cant ( depending on how much you take) so i don't know where you are coming from. It is purely down to performance enhancing that i would be concerned. Why dint you compare similar teams, say Tyrone and Kerry. Suppose Kerry, after been pissed off getting beat by Tyrone, put their players on a programme and they become invincible for th e next 5 years. Would you be happy if the only way Tyrone/Armagh/Derry/Dublin whoever have to compete would be to take performance enhancing drugs?  We will end up with a full forward line of straight from the WWF
DO you think that the only reason the drugs are banned are because of health issues to the athlete.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 18, 2008, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: ludermor on November 18, 2008, 12:30:34 PM
So you would prefer if there was no testing at all? Allow players/teams to use what ever they want! All becasue they are amateur.
Yes, inform the players of the health risks (if any) of using substances as proscribed by the IOC etc, and leave it at that.

So it's OK for a clean amateur to have to be competing against a 'dirty' amateur (in your book), despite the massive personal sacrifices that clean individual may be making in pursuit of sporting excellence, only to be beaten because the opposing individual took performance-enhancing drugs (and not referring to O'Mahony here)?
If there are health issues associated with the performance enhancing substances, who is making the sacrifice, if there aren't why ban them?  If it's about people competing on a level playing field, do you think that happens at the moment?  Would you accept that a Tyrone footballer has a better opportunity to compete at the highest level than a Tipp footballer?

Completely beside the point, and something of a smokescreen. From your answer, I take it that what you're trying to say is that it's OK to cheat, just as long as there's an element of risk in the performance-enhancing drug, which is by no means a given in every case. And Tyrone haven't cheated with drugs (or any other way, despite your personal personal perspective  :P) to excel over the likes of Tipp.

So, now all we need are regulations to enforce the element of risk in the drug, and if it isn't high enough, the cheating athlete should be sanctioned, otherwise it's fine. Great.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bogball XV

QuoteSuppose Kerry, after been pissed off getting beat by Tyrone, put their players on a programme and they become invincible for th e next 5 years.
Pretending such a wonder drug existed there are 2 scenarios:
1. There are no health risks to undergoing the invincibility programme, thus every team in the country (with the exception of the Kilkenny footballers) undergoes the programme, thus negating the competitive advantage Kerry had in year one, there are plenty of precedents for this type of behaviour.
2. There are potential health risks, so any player with half a brain refuses to undergo the invincibility programme and the negative press surrounding the rest means that it's not worth anybody's while undergoing the programme.

QuoteDO you think that the only reason the drugs are banned are because of health issues to the athlete.
I do actually, if not why are they banned?  Why are substances such as creatine (which may well have health risks btw) and sports rehydration drinks allowed then?  Why are some teams allowed to go to La Manga for training whilst others get to go to Bundoran?  Why do some teams get dietary kits delivered to their homes on a regular basis, whilst others get a hang sandwich after training?

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 18, 2008, 04:18:28 PMAnd Tyrone haven't cheated with drugs (or any other way, despite your personal personal perspective  :P) to excel over the likes of Tipp.

Ah now, Fear, now you're just losing all credibility ;)

The GAA

It's perfectly ok to use these inhalers if you have properly notified Croke Park that it is prescribed to you. Thereafter, a positive result would need an abnormally high level of a stimulent to appear - no the level likely from a few extra puffs on an inhaler.

most likely scenario here is that AOM has not fully informed Croke park that he is prescribed the inhaler and therefore trace levels of stimulent constitute a positive test.

EDIT - apologies, i think i've duplicated RMDrive's post

adevvabr

I dont think this is a big deal, if o mahony genuinely has asthma there is no need for the GAA to overreact to this. Besides there is a lack of common sense in what is banned and what isnt. For example, heroin or cocaine couldnt be further from performance enhancing and are banned while lucozade advertises as improving performance by 33% and isnt banned.

The GAA

Yes, but the athlete must be dealt with according to international convention on these things surely?

by that code, frankie sheehan's 3 month ban seems appropriate

ludermor

Bogball
I dont know where to start really, you are linking county board spending with taking performancing enhancing drugs.
Are you seriously saying that you would be in be favour of no regulation and let player take whatever drugs they want??
You go on about health risks but i fail to see the point, there are health risks for every drug ( legal or not).

INDIANA

In fairness there has to be some level of drug testing, my issue is the question of the innuendo. They could have stated that a player had tested positive who has been an asmatic since a kid, that puts a different complexion on it , rather than banner headlines of "failing a drugs test"

There are a few gobshites with no testing who would push the boundaries , which could lead to more. We'd be naive to think otherwise. Welsh amateur rugby is rampant with steroid abuse due to years of no testing. But a known ashmatic shouldn't have his name dragged through the mud like this its not fair. And anyone who thinks there are a lot of rational 20 year olds developing sudden forms of asthma to play inter county football for no finanicial reward are kidding themselves. Perfectly clear explanation to me.

Bogball XV

Quote from: ludermor on November 18, 2008, 05:41:51 PM
Bogball
I dont know where to start really, you are linking county board spending with taking performancing enhancing drugs.
Are you seriously saying that you would be in be favour of no regulation and let player take whatever drugs they want??
You go on about health risks but i fail to see the point, there are health risks for every drug ( legal or not).
I'm trying to point out that some of you seem to think it is a level playing field when really it is far from it, why are some things allowed when other things are banned?  Why do we allow collective training when not all teams can afford it, why do we allow some teams to use private gyms free of charge with individually tailored programmes etc when not every team has access to such facilities?
And yes, if players want to use legally available drugs let them, I really don't care if they can enhance their performance or not - why should an individual have to think twice before he takes a painkiller just because he participates in an amateur sport every sunday?  It's nonsense imo, total nonsense.

As for health risks etc, many of the proscribed drugs are so because use in the wrong situation can lead to health problems, or at least I've always been led to believe this is the reaons for proscription - if we explain the risks to players, they can decide themselves whether the risk is worth the gain, in a skill sport like gaa sports one would assume they would feel that the risk is not worth the gain - especially since there is no monetary reward.

Finally, I just think it's wrong that we feel that players should have to abide by these rules which impact on every facet of their lives and that by virtue of being an inter county player they have to put their lives under scrutiny that the rest of us don't.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 18, 2008, 05:11:57 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 18, 2008, 04:18:28 PMAnd Tyrone haven't cheated with drugs (or any other way, despite your personal personal perspective  :P) to excel over the likes of Tipp.
Ah now, Fear, now you're just losing all credibility ;)

>:( ;)

Anyways, to sum up BBXV: you think it's OK to cheat, you equate training very hard, applying oneself in an honest way, and putting in the hard slog with popping a pill for instant athletic improvement with no work or effort necessary.

Good luck with your addiction   :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bogball XV

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 18, 2008, 09:20:10 PMAnyways, to sum up BBXV: you think it's OK to cheat, you equate training very hard, applying oneself in an honest way, and putting in the hard slog with popping a pill for instant athletic improvement with no work or effort necessary.

Good luck with your addiction   :P
Shit Fear, if I could find one of them I'd be popping it alright :D

Ps, I don't agree with your summation at all, but I hear you - time to leave it ;)