Orange Halls vs GAA Club rooms

Started by Hereiam, November 14, 2008, 12:37:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

QuoteReports of Orange hall explosion 

Police are investigating reports of an explosion at an Orange hall in Pomeroy, County Tyrone.

The UUP's Billy Armstrong said substantial damage was caused to the hall at Pomeroy Road.

"The windows were blown out and the roof was lifted," said the MLA. The incident was reported to police at 0830 GMT on Friday.

Anyone who was in the area late on Thursday night or early on Friday morning is asked to contact the police.

The Pomeroy Road has been closed and diversions are in place.

Looks like this is gona get out of hand a bit.

lurganblue

the next thing there'll be someone in these halls when the "attack" comes

illdecide

You're gonna take some flak over that title saan ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SidelineKick

Was just thinking the same myself!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

thejuice

::)

Guess it was inevitable. The people who do this must be really f**king thick scum-bags. Pity its the ordinary joe-soaps who ultimately suffer while these dick-heads get away with it.  if only those responsible were locked up together and let settle their differences face to face. Has anyone been caught for the GAA clubs or Orange hall burnings lately
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

billy the kid

I am a very big GAA fan an love watching our wonderful games and see them and our Great association as an intrinsic piece in our Irish Identity.

I also hate the orange order and all they represent and their history of intimidation, segregation and White Protestant imperialism from their first incarnation as the Peep O Day Boys until recent times should be questioned and challenged at every turn. However I understand that many Protestants feel culturally connected to the Orange Order and many make a spiritul connection to it.

I whole heartedly believe that the burning of orange halls and GAA premises is totally wrong and should never happen. As someone mentioned it will only be a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt or injured if it doesnt stop soon.

Also for those who carry out these attacks do they not realise that by attacking an Orange Hall/ GAA Hall, that in the tit for Tat nature of this cycle a Hall belonging to your own community will be next on the hit list?

But then again the ones burning GAA halls might not be members of the Orange Order and Im fairly certain that the ones burning Orange Halls arent GAA members, so arent losing anything in their eyes.

Calm heads need to prevail on all sides as it is totally unacceptable.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

SidelineKick

Passed my club this morning and the gates were closed (and locked im assuming).  Our gates never be closed except for a death and as far as i know nobody has passed away.  Looks like clubs are taking precautions already.  Can't even imagine how I would feel if it happened to my club.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

thebandit

Do those boys not realise that their actions in attacking orange halls completely wipes out hours, weeks, months and years of voluntary effort in GAA clubs, when tit for tat actions are taken into account.

Their actions dishonour the belittles the efforts of gaels and republicans that went before them, and all that they stood for and tried to achieve.

fitzroyalty

Here's hoping that the GAA clubs in the surrounding area remain extra vigilant against any retaliation attack.

ziggysego

I totally stupid and brain-less act, from whatever side of the community it comes from. It offers nothing, except a road back to the old days.

I hope that this will be the end of it, but of course I know it's not.
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Given the number of GAA premises and OO halls Id guess itd be hard to keep a good eye on them all unfortunately.

As has been said its only a matter of time before someone gets badly injured or killed if it continues.

The fire service has enough to deal with without having to deal with petty minded arson.

Zapatista

These sort of attack make no sense whatsoever. I'm really at a loss to think of how anyone can do this and find any good in it.

Leaving myself wide open for attack here- but are all these put down to sectarianism or are any investigated as insurance scams?

ziggysego

No, not insurance scams. It's people trying to provoke the otherside into attacking and hopefully derail the peace process. Simple as that.
Testing Accessibility

nifan

Quoteand hopefully derail the peace process.

Id doubt many of the sorts involved are thinking as deeply as that ziggy. Thuggery and sectarianism more often I would guess.