Sat Navs

Started by fred the red, November 08, 2008, 08:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred the red

Im on the look out for a half decent sat nav at the minute, anyone got any tips on what to look for, what brand to avoid etc.

p.s. iv already got that john joe :P

Bud Wiser

The best thing to do, or at least what I did was, went to www.globalsources.com and registered.  Search for one that has all the latest bells and whistles, like , Bluetooth and Mobile Hands Free, MP3, and movi player all incorporated.  Then fill in the questionaire and ask for a price for 1,000 units. Then when you get the price ask them for a sample and bingo, there you have the latest technology for about 45$ plus postage. Just make sure they are RoHS Approved and CE approved and that the mapping is available from TeleAtlas or whoever.
There are thousands of the fecking things though.
http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/GeneralManager?point_search=on&page=search%2FProductSearchResults&product_search=on&supplier_search=off&article_search=off&type=new&search_what=1&query=car+navigation&point_id=3000000149681&catalog_id=2000000003844&from=&loc=t&AGG=N&action=GetPoint&action=DoFreeTextSearch
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

downgirl

Avoid TomTom, my Dad got one and he came down to Cork to see me and they didn't even pick up that the South Ring Road was there and it has been there for 4 years or something.  And we live on a small road that wasn't being picked up at all on the TomTom but it was on the Garmin - knows exactly where our house is if you put on the address.  So he brought it back and got a Garmin nuvi 250, it covers Ireland, UK and Europe. He got me the Garmin nuvi 200, it covers Ireland and the UK.  Garmin defo has to be the best they have been doing GPS for boats for years so they know what they are doing.  Mine has been perfect, the only thing that annoys me about it is that it directs me home from Newry through Ballyholland rather than just keeping on the main road from Newry to Downpatrick.  But it is great, and it beeps and you when there are fixed speed cameras ahead and all. I see Garmin have new ones out now that are voice activated and all.  But anyway I would definitely recommend Garmin.  Hope that helps!

Bud Wiser

Its not the make of the unit that counts, its the map thats inside it. Maps are updated every so often so make sure and clarify that you can download updates.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bensars

I have a Garmin Nuivi and find it excellent. Great coverage over ireland with integrated bluetooth hands free for the mobile.

Halfords often do half price sales on the sat navs

downgirl

Yea sorry should have said, my Dad had only had the TomTom a week or something and he said to them about the maps not being up to date and they were going to charge him £60 to have them updated...which is why he brought it back and changed to the Garmin instead.

balladmaker

Garmin Nuvi all the way.  Have one which covers, Ireland, UK and most of Europe....great job!

girt_giggler

Garmin all the way for me too!

Hank Everlast

Just ordereed the Garmin Nuvi 255wt with the leather case and delivery for £119.00. Havnt got a clue about them but i been told by the old hans in work that its a gud deal.... anyone got this model??

Our Nail Loney

What did ppl do before sat navs?

thebandit

Asked for directions

Tony Baloney

What proportion of your average driver needs a sat nav? Is it just another gadget as lets face it unless you drive a commercial vehicle you are gonna be doing the same trip day in day out to work and back, the shops, a match, dropping the kids off etc.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Just ordered my father a Tom-Tom Go 520 with the traffic updates, Europe maps, speed cameras, hands free, voice activated all singing and dancing.
Got it from Ideal World shopping channel price normally £250, their price £169.
I priced it elsewhere and couldn't beat their price, they still have some left.
Tbc....

stew

I bought a tom tom about three months ago, it was great until i was coming home from a meeting last night and if i had followed the instructions i would have ended up in the fox river, I was annoyed because it semed to think that the aul bridge in a place called De pere was still there and it failed to detect the new bridge and it has been up and running for about a year.

I bought a top of the line model and I am disappointed that the maps in the unit are not updated, I can see a month or so but a year?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

under the bar

QuoteI bought a tom tom about three months ago, it was great until i was coming home from a meeting last night and if i had followed the instructions i would have ended up in the fox river,

Lads a Sat Nav does not prevent stupidity.