UK pensions

Started by armaghniac, April 09, 2023, 05:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

If you are old enough to remember Big Joe Kernan and Jimmy Keaveney both scoring 2 goals in the same AI final then you should attend to your pension. There is an article in the Sindo today about this.
If you are from the 6 counties or worked there or in Britain and have not been working there for the last couple of decades then you can buy UK State pension contributions from 2006 until July, after that you can only buy 6 years. So this would suit people who moved away or people working in England etc in the past. This would be like buying an index linked annuity from age 67 except it is only a fraction of price. You only get paid from age 67 but then you could get the cost back in less than 5 years and if you live for another 20 years you'll liberate the UK exchequer of quite a bit more than you paid. 

Check out your present situation  https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record
you can use a passport for ID purposes and it helps to have your old national insurance number to hand. 
Worth checking if you are somewhere near reaching the age required and haven't been working in the UK lately, but did before 2006.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gerrykeegan

I'd echo that. I did six years in London. With an investment of 1500 now I'll get about 107 sterling a week compliments of the Crown. I'm happy with that return
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

armaghniac

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 09, 2023, 06:38:58 PM
I'd echo that. I did six years in London. With an investment of 1500 now I'll get about 107 sterling a week compliments of the Crown. I'm happy with that return

Presumably Sunak thinks this is OK as he gets the £1500 now, but someone else has to pay out the pension in years to come!

gerrykeegan

To be honest I can pay the 1500 now or over the next 10 years, either way it's a win win for me.

thedice

Is it a matter of ringing up and paying missed contributions over the phone?

Have tried and tried and tried ringing lord have mercy but no avail

armaghniac

Quote from: thedice on April 09, 2023, 07:38:47 PM
Is it a matter of ringing up and paying missed contributions over the phone?

Have tried and tried and tried ringing lord have mercy but no avail

I am still in the process. However, comment elsewhere suggests that you can fill in the form requesting the contributions, send this by recorded delivery and they will come back to you with a bill.

Main Street

It looks like that link https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record is just for those with a current uk postcode. Anyone with any sense would not linger longer than necessary inside the UK, never mind having an actual current uk postcode.
I suspect there is another route for those domiciled outside the UK, which just happens to be deftly hidden under state secret protocol.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on April 09, 2023, 10:51:46 PM
It looks like that link https://www.gov.uk/check-national-insurance-record is just for those with a current uk postcode. Anyone with any sense would not linger longer than necessary inside the UK, never mind having an actual current uk postcode.
I suspect there is another route for those domiciled outside the UK, which just happens to be deftly hidden under state secret protocol.

Not so. You need to sign in using a government gateway and that does not need a postcode.
Someone with sense with the prospect of getting back 4 times what they paid in might well organise themselves a postcode.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on April 09, 2023, 11:01:11 PM
Quote from: Main Street on April 09, 2023, 10:51:46 PM

Not so. You need to sign in using a government gateway and that does not need a postcode.
Someone with sense with the prospect of getting back 4 times what they paid in might well organise themselves a postcode.
You can't just use a valid UK postcode and address even if you know the residents. Now what I would like is a hint from somebody who has the sense to know where one applies for a government gateway account.

General information informs
How to set up a Government Gateway account

You should follow these steps to create an account:

If it is protected by Government Gateway, you will be asked to 'sign in using Government Gateway'.
    Scroll down the page and select 'Create sign in details'.

On that Nat Ins  page there is no option to create sign in details.

edit :  okay I got it now, the Nat Ins page states that you need the gateway id before you can  start now,   but you have to start  now in order to create the new gateway id.  I have been away from the British Isles for too long.

Edit   They are still demanding  a UK postcode before you can proceed even though this method is also for people who live abroad.    It's easier to fill out the online form than deal with this maze.  I am sure my application for pension details will be warmly received.

gerrykeegan

I managed to get the gateway ID sent to me via email I just can't remember the sequence. I know 😊 had to verify my Irish passport using an app that I had to download. It was very impressive. I sat my phone on the front of the passport and it read the biometric data. Sorry I can't remember the sequence

Main Street

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 11, 2023, 02:31:45 PM
I managed to get the gateway ID sent to me via email I just can't remember the sequence. I know 😊 had to verify my Irish passport using an app that I had to download. It was very impressive. I sat my phone on the front of the passport and it read the biometric data. Sorry I can't remember the sequence
I did that but then they demanded a postcode before you can proceed, with no other option.

giveherlong

Unrelated UK pensions question
What is the best plan of action for someone with 5-6 different pensions from the same number of jobs to combine them into one?
Each pension pot would be about 2-3 years worth of payments before moving into next job

bennydorano

Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2023, 02:41:03 PM
I did that but then they demanded a postcode before you can proceed, with no other option.
You can use a Jobs & Benefits office in NI as a correspondence address, lots of people do it IRO Benefits, it's not illegal or anything, not ideal I'm sure tho.

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on April 11, 2023, 02:41:03 PM

If I go to https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
and click of Start and login using the Government Gateway, it then asks me for my name and brings me to a page
where it says

We will ask you about items you may have, like your:

UK or International passport
    UK photocard driving licence (including provisional licences)
    Payslips or P60
    Self Assessment
    Tax credits (optional Voice ID)
    Credit record

gallsman

Done from Spain, with an Irish passport. No request for a UK postcode once, no VPN etc.