The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Ricci

How do they decide who faces who? Do both captains decide what order they want to send their players out and the matches are made accordingly or can you pick potential match ups?

straightred

both captains list them out 1-12 independently and you take what you get. I'm pretty sure there's no collusion. Its possible i suppose but I doubt it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: straightred on September 26, 2021, 09:52:09 AM
Harrington will have some sleepless nights when this is over. No doubting that the yanks have far more talent and would have won no matter what but some of the selections didn't help. Its starts with picking Poulter over Rose - what a disaster that has been. The system picked Westwood so there isn't much he could do about that but he could have played them less. Casey, westwood and poulter shouldn't have played yesterday at all.

Having said all that something like 6-6 is possible today. The pressure is off. Would be just like McIlroy to win now that it doesn't matter

What does this even mean? Was he handed his four majors or did he win them? The other tournaments and world numbers one placings, I suppose he got those those handed to him also, having not played yesterday it was also his fault for the shit show!?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trileacman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 26, 2021, 11:32:26 AM
Harrington will have some sleepless nights when this is over. No doubting that the yanks have far more talent and would have won no matter what but some of the selections didn't help. Its starts with picking Poulter over Rose - what a disaster that has been. The system picked Westwood so there isn't much he could do about that but he could have played them less. Casey, westwood and poulter shouldn't have played yesterday at all.

Having said all that something like 6-6 is possible today. The pressure is off. Would be just like McIlroy to win now that it doesn't matter

What does this even mean? Was he handed his four majors or did he win them? The other tournaments and world numbers one placings, I suppose he got those those handed to him also, having not played yesterday it was also his fault for the shit show!?

I'm a fan of Rory's but he does have a habit of shitting the nest on the big occasion and then tearing the course new arse on Sunday having played himself out of contention on day 1 and 2. I understand the sentiment it would be like him to hammer the course having played shite on day 1 and 2.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

An Watcher

Here let's be honest, mcilroy isn't to blame for the defeat but he is certainly a contributing factor.  He has been built up as the European talisman for the past few years so he should be winning something. 0 from 3 is poor.  Even if he'd got 1.5 points there would only be 3 in it now.  Still not great but definitely winnable.
It would just be like him to win today as he's made a habit of having great final rounds in recent years when he has zero chance of winning.  Great for the bank balance but not for titles.
I was thinking about it yday will he look back on the last 5 years of his career as opportunities lost.  Has he made the changes to get the most out of his talent, not sure.
In his defence he's a hot or cold player.  When he's good he's brilliant, when he's bad he's brutal. 

straightred

Quote from: trileacman on September 26, 2021, 01:07:31 PM

I'm a fan of Rory's but he does have a habit of shitting the nest on the big occasion and then tearing the course new arse on Sunday having played himself out of contention on day 1 and 2. I understand the sentiment it would be like him to hammer the course having played shite on day 1 and 2.
Thats pretty much what i meant in a nutshell.

Mikhail Prokhorov

omg fanboy meltdown during meaningless ryder cup  ::) ;D

save it for the majors lad  ;)

Estimator

The two Irish lads out first in the singles followed by the two Spaniards!
Ulster League Champions 2009

Boycey

Numpties paradise today Rory plays poorly and he's shite, plays well and he's still shite  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on September 26, 2021, 05:52:08 PM
Numpties paradise today Rory plays poorly and he's shite, plays well and he's still shite  :)

Anti fanboys loving it  ;D ;D

I don't play golf or even watch it to be fair, but I love the fact that Rorys the best ever Irish player  ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

The US have out putted Eur all weekend.  Harrington hasn't much to work with but bringing Poulter was a huge error as was pairing McIlroy and him, and then four or five of the qualifiers being completely out of form leads to what might be a record defeat.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 26, 2021, 10:07:53 AM
How do they decide who faces who? Do both captains decide what order they want to send their players out and the matches are made accordingly or can you pick potential match ups?

I think it's blind but with Eur needing a lot of points Stricker will guess that Harrington will send out his strongest players first to get points on the board so he can second guess with his selections.  Mind you if I were Stricker I'd have thought McIlroy 11 and Poulter 12 was a cert!!

thebigfella

Quote from: Pub Bore on September 26, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 26, 2021, 10:07:53 AM

I think it's blind but with Eur needing a lot of points Stricker will guess that Harrington will send out his strongest players first to get points on the board so he can second guess with his selections.  Mind you if I were Stricker I'd have thought McIlroy 11 and Poulter 12 was a cert!!

He doesn't have to guess, they already out  ::)

thebigfella

Anyone thinking that bring Rose instead of Poulter would have made a difference knows fcuk all. The best putters have generally won and Rose isn't a better putter under pressure than Poulter.

JPGJOHNNYG

This is nearly unwatchable. McGinley saying the putting stats are even. I can't believe that one bit