Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bridgegael on March 01, 2015, 09:39:37 AM
Anyonr see eubank jr fight.  He is getting better everytime  i.see him.  Could be a real contender in middleweight in the next few years.  His dad is still seeking his limelight though

Seen him fight on the undercard of Framptons fight in Belfast last year, good enough boxer.. But Chris will always want the Limelight that's who he is.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bridgegael

He was very impressive last night.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

BennyHarp

Quote from: bridgegael on March 01, 2015, 09:39:37 AM
Anyonr see eubank jr fight.  He is getting better everytime  i.see him.  Could be a real contender in middleweight in the next few years.  His dad is still seeking his limelight though

Eubank Jr. looked Excellent last night and the ref should have stopped the fight much sooner, the corner seems like a shambles between rounds though.
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

He's talented but needs to ditch the da. Sr's interference cost him the Saunders fight.

Saw him on the BoxNation equivalent of Ringside a few weeks ago and he was a bit delusional. Either ignoring or not quite grasping how big a setback the loss was.

TF15

The loss wasn't that big a set-back Galls. Warren wants to make Saunders Eubank II for the world title if Saunders can win the strap off the winner of Quillan and Lee. Actually came away from that fight with people knowing he can more than mix it with a very good operator in Saunders. He had balls taking that fight last night after losing his 0. The fella (although he turned out to be limited) was very highly rated and a dangerous live opponent who was eyeing the world stage.  I wish more fighters lost their 0 when they were young. Losing 1 fight is no bad thing and it would stop fighters cherry picking to protect their 0.

On Eubank Snr.....the less said the better lol But he is raising Jnrs profile even if he's taking that enlarged limelight away from him.

behind the wire

Frampton has given the sport of boxing a massive boost locally. there seems to be a few more boxers that could potentially follow his lead. How good are Burnett, Cacace, McCullough etc?
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

Milltown Row2

Quote from: behind the wire on March 03, 2015, 08:47:10 AM
Frampton has given the sport of boxing a massive boost locally. there seems to be a few more boxers that could potentially follow his lead. How good are Burnett, Cacace, McCullough etc?

McCullough looks good any time I've seen him, focused on the job, Barry's other fighter Conrad Cummings? was great at the start but boxed well enough on Sat night so he's improved a lot. A lot of local fighters getter their chance on these bills which they probably would not have had a chance to, and Breen (who I like a lot) is getting a chance to showcase his fighters also
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Quote from: behind the wire on March 03, 2015, 08:47:10 AM

Add in Cummings, Nevin and Quigley to that list too.  Is Jamie Kavanagh any good?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

BennyHarp

Looks like Rigondeux is going after Quigg. Could upset plans for a summer fight with Frampton.

International boxing manager Gary Hyde, president of Nowhere2Hyde Management, has formally petitioned the World Boxing Association (WBA) to enforce a mandatory title fight between Hyde's fighter, WBA Super amd World Boxing Organization (WBO) super bantamweight champion Guillermo "The Jackal" Rigondeaux (15-0, 10 KOs), and WBA "regular" 122-pound division titlist Scott Quigg (30-0-2, 22 KOs).

Below is a copy of Hyde's letter to the WBA:

Dear Chairman Mendoza:

I write as the manager of Guillermo Rigondeaux, the Unified WBA/WBO Champion.

I write to request enforcement of the mandatory. Uniquely in the Super Bantamweight Division Guillermo Rigondeaux is the "Unified Champion" and Scott Quigg is the "Regular Champion." Clearly as the Regular Champion Quigg is the highest ranked contender in the division. While he was injured he is now back in training and there is no reason why Mr. Rigondeaux cannot or should not fulfill his mandatory obligations against Mr. Quigg.

We are aware that there are some discussions about a bout between Quigg and Frampton. However, we have been in touch with the IBF and they will not sanction the unification fight with anyone other than the highest level champion which in this case is Guillermo Rigondeaux.

We respectfully suggest that it is best to deal with the mandatory issue now and request that Quigg and Guillermo be directed to begin negotiations.

Respectfully submitted,

Gary Hyde

Milltown Row2

Strange, why wouldn't he want to fight Frampton? Quigg wouldn't bring more hype to the fight than Frampton.

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2015, 10:12:46 PM
Strange, why wouldn't he want to fight Frampton? Quigg wouldn't bring more hype to the fight than Frampton.

not going to pretend to know...

does he fancy himself against Scott Quigg rather than Frampton?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 14, 2015, 01:39:25 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 13, 2015, 10:12:46 PM

not going to pretend to know...

does he fancy himself against Scott Quigg rather than Frampton?

I doubt it, he's the best in the division it just seems strange, Quigg is decent enough but I don't think he'd put up much of a show... I saying that there isn't many who would

BennyHarp

Maybe he knows that the money fight is v Frampton in this division. Beating Quigg gives him a much enhanced profile in the UK and sets up a huge fight v Frampton later in the year. I hadn't realised Rigondeux's promoter was a Cork man.

bridgegael

i think you are right benny.  Rigondeux is relativly unknow over here.  if he puts quigg away-whuch he will-  then it sets up an even bigger fight v Frampton later on. all about the money
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

gallsman

Quote from: bridgegael on March 14, 2015, 08:47:18 AM
i think you are right benny.  Rigondeux is relativly unknow over here.  if he puts quigg away-whuch he will-  then it sets up an even bigger fight v Frampton later on. all about the money

I dunno, if Rigo comes here or a bigger venue in the UK, Carl will sell the place out regardless of opponent. Unlikely to be on ppv so he's unlikely to care too much.

I'd say Rigo is probably looking at fact there are two money fights in the division for him at this stage if Santa Cruz moves up as expected - Frampton and Quigg. As champion, why would he want to let Frampton or Quigg get two big paydays out of it rather than himself?