Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

If this is right, why the fcuk didnt Neville say something to Saha, or indeed one of the United players instead of Lennon.Neville is the captain at the end of the day, the managers voice on the pitch etc etc

magpie seanie

Neville did speak to Saha I think. I noticed it at the time and thought it odd. Was convinced Saha was going to miss it myself and to be truthful if that was a penalty then the rules of soccer are a pile of horse manure.

This failure, like so many before and especially in Europe, is the result of Ferguson listening to that idiot Queiroz. The stat produced by Barney below tells it all - p14 w 3 d 3 l 8 f 7 a 15 - that is close to unbelievable. In the premiership United know they have to try and win every game which suits the team. In Europe they try to draw games away from home and you see the result. When Ferguson had the choice last year he picked the wrong guy. Quieroz has never done anything in the game and is ruining another European campaign. Liverpool have won the thing and Arsenal have got to the final with inferior players whose attitude and tactics were correct. Sadly, after all his great achievements, Ferguson is now the bitch of a fool who thinks soccer is played on a subbuteo table. Get rid of Queiroz and be that thick fcuker from Glasgow or leave now.

On another note - I agree with a lot of what Dunphy says normally but I think he is way ott about Cristiano Ronaldo. The lad is a good player, improving all the time. Certainly not the best player in the world nor ever likely to be THAT good but it was only Queiroz who ever said that. Dunphy is letting his justifiable dislike of Queiroz colour his judgement of Ronaldo who is seen as Queiroz pet. Not the players fault I would suggest.

The Benfica game scares the shit out of me now. Even with it at home I have no doubt but that Queiroz will come up with a tactical masterplan to get a draw.

BenDover

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 22, 2006, 09:51:19 AM
The Benfica game scares the shit out of me now. Even with it at home I have no doubt but that Queiroz will come up with a tactical masterplan to get a draw.

I agree with you Seanie not feeling to confident about the Benfica game especially if last night is anything to by. When the first 11 can't do the business who does fergie think can break the deadlock O'Shea / Richardson etc. God help us if he's relying on anyone outside the first 11. Will Ole be back for the Benfica game?

Uladh

There is a very real possibility that united won't get through here. How many times have estute european teams picked united off on the break at "squeaky bum time"in the CL?

Quiroz is a huge problem in my opinion. i think the away form in the CL is down to him dictating a "patient" tempo and formation for these games. this simply doesn't work with the british mentality. The players' body langauge last night told the tale. Thay are being told to be restrained, patient and pick their attacks and that translates to premiership players as "relax".

Quiroz has too much influnce on the team's training and preparation. there hasn't been the same fire in the team since he has taken over the reigns. its too cool and cerebral and the team have lost its power and bite.

Keane was right from the start about him and when Quiroz gave "him or me" ultimatum, fergie should have thanked him for his services and installed roy as assistant.

Out at the group stages.

that said, i think united will get at least a draw on sunday as fergie will be hands on this week and breathing fire. they'll fall away after that.

magpie seanie

Uladh - I have had many disagreements with you in the past and no doubt in the future but I agree with everthing you put in that last post (bar possibly the word "cerebral" as I find it hard to associate that with Queiroz, "pseudo cerebral" I'd say but I think the thrust is the same).

A result on Sunday is possible as you would expect the players to react with a bit of passion after a humiliation like that.

Spiritof98

Seanie as discussed before I am an eternal Optimist when it comes to Utd, but my friend you are convincing me, well I think the team are convincing me of your theories.

Anyway on to Sunday, 3-0 home win ;)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

full back

What was the idea with taking Evra on last night? Was Heinze injured? Didnt seem like a smart move especially when we were chasing the equaliser

liihb

Good article on F365

IF ManYoo fans were in need of any evidence of the precarious nature of their Premiership title challenge, they need only acknowledge the fact that they still need a result against Benfica in the final Champions League group match, despite three victories in the opening three games of the campaign.

Defeat to Celtic was an anomaly - there is no doubt that United were the better team, they just had an attack of the Arsenals and failed to turn almost total domination into goals. Nobody should lose any sleep over that, apart from The Neviller, who really should have taken the ball off the shaking Louis Saha and given it to Wayne Rooney or Ronaldo.

At times during that first half, United were playing sumptuous football. But just like the Arsenal of the last two seasons, all that pace and power and precision did not lead to real clear-cut chances thanks to a combination of poor final balls, stout Celtic defending and an atmosphere so intense that even a multi-million pound footballer could be forgiven for feeling a little tense.

The most worrying aspect of the evening for a United fan must have been a plaintive look towards the bench to see who could possibly create that elusive goal. There they would have found Kieran Richardson, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea - a salient reminder of the depth of Sir Alex Ferguson's squad (think the shallow end of a paddling pool).

Ferguson played his best XI (I'll leave the left-back question for real Reds to discuss at a later, duller date) and they played - up until the final third - some remarkable football. But despite a lack of a tangible injury list, the options beyond that XI were woeful for a club with European and Premiership silverware ambitions.

It is the lack of options beyond that first-choice XI that has done the real damage to this Champions League campaign. In Copenhagen, Ferguson decided to rest the old soldiers of this squad and found that it is the old soldiers that are central to his plans of winning a second European trophy and ending Chelsea's domestic dominance.

The team he sent to Denmark featured Wes Brown instead of The Neviller, Fletcher instead of Ryan Giggs and O'Shea instead of Paul Scholes. He opted for younger legs for a game sandwiched between two Premiership matches, but found that the feet attached to those younger legs were incapable of reaching the footballing heights needed to beat a below-average Copenhagen side.

Then we all know what happened at Roots Hall when again ManYoo showed us the depth of their squad by capitulating against a side destined for League One. Some United-supporting F365ers wrote of their lack of faith in a Premiership campaign being waged by such a paper-thin squad, and some nodded in agreement despite the usual protestations from the 'Fergie knows best' camp.

Ferguson talks of the challenge of creating a third great United team, but the problem is that the remnants of the second great United team are so central to that new side. Without them, United struggle, and they are increasingly having to make do without one, two or all three of them. And the replacements are not really fit to lace their boots - decent players they might be, but stalwarts of a title-winning side? Not a chance.

United have undoubtedly played the best football of any Premiership side this season, but sustaining this form for another six months means somehow keeping that first XI fit. Actually, never mind six months, somehow Scholes, Giggs and Neville must rouse themselves again on Sunday against Chelsea despite having played 90 minutes against Celtic on Tuesday night.

This is realistically the last season in which that triumvirate are going to be central to Ferguson's plans. But is their last hurrah coming in a squad that cannot cope with their absence? If they have any sway at all with their manager, they should be pointing him towards the sales racks in January.

Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

charlie stubbs

A 1 AND2 A 3 AND A 4 NAKAMURA A 5 and a 6, 7 8 nakamura hey nakumura

hows she cutting

see drogba is likely to be out for Sundays showdown

wonder who they'll replace him with, oh yeah Shevchenko

replacement for Saha on the bench on Tuesday - Richardson

Sweet Jaysus

FermPundit

Drogba will be a big miss for Chelsea if his injury doesn't clear up in time. He's been lethal up front this year.

As the game last night indicated, Chelsea are beatable. Their back 4 bar Terry isn't great. I'm hoping Ronaldo and Giggs can cause them problems down both wings.

United have a seriously weak squad this year. We really need to strengthen in January but will there be any money available??

I'd love to get your guy from Ajax, Klaas Jan Huntelaar and Owen Hargreaves.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

intoDwest

Well I was over at the game and I have to say I thought United played quite well to a point. Celtic never had a sniff of the game. United were in total control and Celtic were chasing shadows for most if the game. United would have been better off if they needed to win the game because they were cruising. Why did Rooney play most of the game from wide positions, that baffles me all the time, I must be missing something.

Or big problem is the bench; we had nothing on it which would change the attacking aspect of the team. The sooner the Transfer window opens the better.

Feck this just looking for a draw business. Celtic were brutal to watch, no real pace or inventiveness, everything they did seemed slower.

I'm going to go to the Chelsea game on Sunday, hopefully it will be a better spectacle, at least Chelsea will come at united and we might get to see some good end to end stuff.

On a side note, this was my second time at park head and to say I was let down by the atmosphere would be an understatement. Fair enough once they scored the place went bananas but up to that point it was dead. All you could hear signing throughout the game were the 3000 united fans. I've been to Old Trafford on many occasions when the atmosphere has been dead but on big occasions the place rocks, it now seems to me that Park Head can join Anfield when it comes to talking about atmosphere, more mythical than mystical!!!

magpie seanie

About the atmosphere you are correct. At training last night I heard some dope on to another bindipper fan about the great atmosphere at Parkhead the other night. Obviously watched the first 10 and thought United would tonk them so switched over. Got a text from another ABU when Celtic scored and switched it back on. Great atmosphere.

The truth is fans react to what happens on the field, not the other way round (I think Giles says this regularly). There will be a good atmosphere if a game is exciting - hence Highbury known as The Library pre Wenger.

FermPundit

I have to agree I always have found the atmosphere of Old Trafford to be far superior to Parkhead. To be honest though I have only ever been to SPL games against rubbish teams so I s'pose it's not suprising that the atmosphere wasn't great. I always thought european games at parkhead would be brilliant though
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.