NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lurganblue

I'd be an advocate of playing a period of extra time and then if it is a draw, restart on a golden score. I realise that this would bring issues in terms of "soft" frees and the players are completely wrecked... but I really hate penalties  ;D

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on April 03, 2024, 11:59:31 AMI'd be an advocate of playing a period of extra time and then if it is a draw, restart on a golden score. I realise that this would bring issues in terms of "soft" frees and the players are completely wrecked... but I really hate penalties  ;D

Just give no frees during that period for 'rough play' lol!

Tech fouls like steps and so on, yes that's a blunder, but ya gotta earn that golden score!

Be like Running Man ;D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RedHand88

Quote from: Keyser soze on April 03, 2024, 11:05:54 AMSome of the best memories of playing were championship replays I was involved in, something special about them. 

I cant believe what I'm reading. For years people complained about replays because:
1) Expense involved for fans (grab all association!)
2) Fixture congestion (clubs not getting county players back, etc)

Now that we have a system in place that has been widely accepted across any amount of team sports for decades, people want to go back to the old way!!

RedHand88

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 10:28:03 AMThey killed the golden goose with too many games in too short a time. Rem 2005 Tyrone replay against Down in the Marshes great game especially if you were a Down supporter! 2003 brilliant Ulster final went to a replay, Dublin-Meath epic 4 games in '91. Penalties are an aberration on Gaelic games, apeing soccer. People went to the replays.

The Tyrone- Armagh first game in 2005 got 60k.
The replay got 30k in a nearly two thirds empty Croke Park.
People did not go to the replays in anywhere near the same numbers.

armaghniac

Quote from: lurganblue on April 03, 2024, 11:59:31 AMI'd be an advocate of playing a period of extra time and then if it is a draw, restart on a golden score. I realise that this would bring issues in terms of "soft" frees and the players are completely wrecked... but I really hate penalties  ;D

I'd be an advocate of using alphabetical order to determine who wins. -
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 12:08:45 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on April 03, 2024, 11:05:54 AMSome of the best memories of playing were championship replays I was involved in, something special about them. 

I cant believe what I'm reading. For years people complained about replays because:
1) Expense involved for fans (grab all association!)
2) Fixture congestion (clubs not getting county players back, etc)

Now that we have a system in place that has been widely accepted across any amount of team sports for decades, people want to go back to the old way!!

+1.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

tbrick18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 03, 2024, 09:00:10 AMMakes no difference, if its penalties or 45's or a one one one match up they'll all end up as a difficult loss.

The games have to be finished on the day/night no point dragging people half way round the country for replays anymore, the cost of that alone and within the football/hurling calendar it near impossible to find a space come championship.

Even at club level come championship in counties that have dual players it's a massive drain on players fitness and injuries

GAA has been using penalties in the game for as long as I can remember, its not like they have copied anyone in that regard, its now being used to finish the game, seen a game where it was either 45's or frees from the 21 when this all came about, they would have been there all night, in fact the game was cancelled by the chairman and replayed to much fanfare at the time.

Yeah I agree.
I personally like penalties. I've seen the Tyrone club championship won on penalties, Ulster championship and the now the Div 1 League. The drama and excitement adds to the experience in my view.
By having replays, there's additional cost to supporters and during a cost of living crisis where attendance at games is already expensive there'd be a huge outcry about the Grab All Association fleecing the regular supporter.
Also, in the past we've all seen replays that have been complete one-sided affairs after the underdog missed their opportunity the first day - which in my view is unfair on the underdog.

Using 45s is no better than penalties. I'd argue penalties are better as you're testing the skill of the keeper AND the penalty taker. It's also a test on being able to hold your nerve.

No matter what approach is taken to get a winner from a drawn game, there'll always be some people who are not happy. There doesnt seem to be any movement from Croke Park or the new President on doing away with penalties, so they are here to stay. Embrace it I say.

It's always horrible to get beat - in the old days one defeat in championship and you're gone. Then the back door came along, then super 8s, now the new setup. How many chances do teams need to win?

thewobbler

I know I've mentioned it before on the board, but...

Once you're able to change your mindset about drawn knockout matches away from that of "we didn't lose, so we deserve another shot", and over to "we didn't win, so don't deserve to go through", then it becomes so much easier to accept penalties. It promotes a zen like calm about results.

I doubt it'll ever happen, but if the culture of the GAA could ever be keeled in this direction, we would be a much happier tribe of people.

Repeat after me: "We did not win the match. So we do not deserve to go through".

Taylor

Wouldnt be much fun trying to get a golden score if you are playing into a gale force wind

Lubo Moravcik

I agree - anything but penalties. It just seems an unfair way to decide any game let alone a final.

Truthsayer

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 12:20:42 PM
Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 10:28:03 AMThey killed the golden goose with too many games in too short a time. Rem 2005 Tyrone replay against Down in the Marshes great game especially if you were a Down supporter! 2003 brilliant Ulster final went to a replay, Dublin-Meath epic 4 games in '91. Penalties are an aberration on Gaelic games, apeing soccer. People went to the replays.

Only 30,000! That's quite a crowd. Would have filled Clones rightly for an Ulster final replay.

tonto1888

Quote from: Truthsayer on April 03, 2024, 02:28:26 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on April 03, 2024, 12:20:42 PM

Only 30,000! That's quite a crowd. Would have filled Clones rightly for an Ulster final replay.

or 50% of people who went to the original didnt go to the replay. Not a good stat

tbrick18

Quote from: Taylor on April 03, 2024, 02:19:20 PM

Wouldnt be much fun trying to get a golden score if you are playing into a gale force wind

Or with an inconsistent referee who blows a free incorrectly and the game is lost based on that.
Penalties have much less risk of allowing other factors influence the result.

And is a golden score (goal) not something that used to exist in soccer? Surely we wouldn't be going down the soccer road!  ;D

lurganblue

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 03, 2024, 02:52:11 PM
Quote from: Taylor on April 03, 2024, 02:19:20 PM

Or with an inconsistent referee who blows a free incorrectly and the game is lost based on that.
Penalties have much less risk of allowing other factors influence the result.

And is a golden score (goal) not something that used to exist in soccer? Surely we wouldn't be going down the soccer road!  ;D

Toss a coin to decide direction of play. Youve played a whole match with that ref, deal with it.

gallsman

Quote from: lurganblue on April 03, 2024, 02:58:40 PMToss a coin to decide direction of play. Youve played a whole match with that ref, deal with it.

You've had a whole match and extra time with the opposition team and that ref. Why should you keep playing?