Olympics Tokyo.

Started by Denn Forever, July 14, 2021, 11:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 29, 2021, 02:42:02 PM
Quote from: screenexile on July 29, 2021, 02:17:46 PM
Michelle Smith with some next level trolling in her statement congratulating the lads!!

It's an honour to be congratulated by Irelands most successful olympian.

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 29, 2021, 02:26:42 PM
Where is it? Googled and can't see it

One small paragraph congratulating the rowers and the rest talking about herself. Proper trolling by signing it off as triple Olympic champion as well!

She has successfully managed to insert herself into the rowers success, she must be in need of a profile boost or looking for a book deal.

seafoid

Irish Times

"Skibbereen Rowing Club has more rowing medals than [the Rowers] in Team GB. It's astonishing. It is like a dream. You don't know if you will wake up and it will all be gone."
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

weareros

Irish in Action Day 7

Will be hard to beat Day 6 with George Hamilton's first ever Gold but some good stuff nonetheless. We'll begin to see some of our runners. Kellie Harrington in Boxing. Aidan Walsh was impressive in his last fight, hope he can keep it up. The Irish Hockey women really need to beat India to finish in Top 4, and they should. Were unlucky not to tie with one of the favourites Germany, with some questionable reffing calls. McIlroy and Lowry were solid enough in Round 1, but still 6/7 shots off the lead going into Day 2 out of 4 in golfing. Murphy starting to come good in sailing.

ATHLETICS
Women's 800m – Nadia Power (Heat 2, 02.33), Louise Shanahan (Heat 3, 02.41), Siofra Cleirigh Butler (Heat 4, 02.49)

03.41 Men's 400m Hurdles, Heat 3 – Thomas Barr

02.00 Mixed 4x400m Relay, Heat 1 - Sophie Becker, Phil Healy, Cillian Greene, Christopher O'Donnell

SWIMMING
11.33 Women's 50m freestyle, Heat 8 – Danielle Hill

11.48 Men's 1500m freestyle, Heat 1 – Daniel Wiffen

BOXING
03.00 Women's 60kg Lightweight, rd 16 – Kellie Harrington v Rebecca Nicoli (Italy)

04.51 Men's 69kg Welterweight, quarter-final, bronze medal fight – Aidan Walsh v Merve Clair (Mauritius)

EQUESTRIAN
Eventing – Team + Individual (Dressage)

11.24 Austin O'Connor (replacing Cathal Daniels)

02.32 Sarah Ennis

01.46 Sam Watson

HOCKEY
03.45 - 05.15 Women's Pool Phase – Ireland v India

SAILING
04.00 - 10.00 Laser Radial, Races 9 & 10 – Annalise Murphy

00.00-02.25 49er, Races 7-9 – Robert Dickson + Sean Waddilove

GOLF
00.25, 00.41 Men's Singles, 2nd Round – Rory McIlroy, Shane Lowry

Eamonnca1

Quote from: BennyCake on July 29, 2021, 12:01:31 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on July 29, 2021, 10:09:45 AM
Stumbled upon this 3 v 3 basket ball thing last night and my first gut instinct was WTF, another makey up sport for the Olympics, maybe we could have 5 aside football or backs and forwards as well.

It wasn't too bad a watch with the Yank ladies taking their gold and the Latvians taking the mens gold.

anyone else stumble across a "hybrid" sport?

When you think about it, the Olympics is awash of daft sports. That cycling one where you wait for your opponent to catch up, then do a lap of the track. Wtf like? That prancing horsey one, wtf is that all about? Other than the running, swimming and the odd bit of boxing, it's a waste of time.

It's strange when you think that someone would spend 4+ years training just to be able to jump in a sand pit. That's something you'd do at break time in school or tanked up after a few beers in the children's play area in back garden. But to do something like that as an actual  career like, it's mad.

Reminds me of the Billy Connolly story, about the toff's dinner party.

And what do you do?
I'm a tobogganist.
What did he say he was?
I think he said he was a tobacconist.

I love track cycling. I've dabbled in it a bit myself, but I was shite at it because I couldn't bring myself to sit a few inches behind the wheel in front on a banked track with no brakes. I probably coulda mastered it with a bit more perseverance, but at the end of the day I was always more of an endurance rider which is why I stuck to road racing. I have great respect for the track lads though. The amount of power they produce is huge. The tactics of the sprint make perfect sense when you understand what's going on. Them boys can ride a full circuit of the track while looking behind them, and the trackstand actually takes a bit of energy to maintain. There's a lot to it.

fearbrags

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31902057/siobhan-haughey-makes-hong-kong-olympic-history-silver-medal-ariarne-titmus

FFS  We were giving out about Rice and Grealish  not declaring for Ireland , We cannot even get Charlie's Angel  to do so , WTF

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on July 29, 2021, 08:01:01 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 29, 2021, 06:43:59 AM
What's the story with Ireland's success in rowing then? Is it having a bit of a moment? Has there been a bit of a push on it? Did the O'Donovan lads inspire more people to get into it?

Seems like it'd be a good sport to promote if you wanted to get the medal count up. The Brits pushed track cycling for that purpose, but you need a big budget for that, with the facilities and equipment that it takes. With rowing I'd imagine the facilities would a lot cheaper since the open water is sitting there in lakes and rivers up and down the country.

Either way, it's great to see. It's a great sport and fair play to them.

I seem to remember reading about it being all revolving around a small rowing club in Skibbereen.
Don't think this is the particular article but it seems to have the same gist

https://www.southernstar.ie/sport/how-a-small-country-rowing-club-put-skibbereen-on-the-world-map-4218948

Thanks for that. Great piece, and it explains a lot. Seems like a grassroots movement in one club going back decades, and what a difference it has made.

It's the kind of story that'd make a good film starring Brendan Gleeson.

Capt Pat

Nice to wake up to another medal overnight. Aidan Walsh is into the semifinals of the welterweight boxing and secures a bronze. He fights Britains Pat McCormack next.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 30, 2021, 07:04:54 AM
Nice to wake up to another medal overnight. Aidan Walsh is into the semifinals of the welterweight boxing and secures a bronze. He fights Britains Pat McCormack next.

Brilliant, I hear this McCormack lad is the real deal

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 30, 2021, 09:30:45 AM

With a name like that can we claim part of the medal?

trailer

Rory and Shane doing well in the Golf.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2021, 09:48:33 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 30, 2021, 09:30:45 AM

With a name like that can we claim part of the medal?

defs and he has a twin brother boxing too

Armagh18

Great stuff. We seem to have a knack of producing decent boxers. Best of luck to him.

Tony Baloney

Good swim from Daniel Wiffen again.

lurganblue

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 30, 2021, 12:36:29 PM
Good swim from Daniel Wiffen again.

Where did you get to see this? Couldnt find it at all

weareros

Don't watch golf much but who are the golf commentators. They sound like they are hard at the sherry in a country estate. But quite funny and enjoyable. Great performance by the Irish duo on Day 2.