Premier League 2021-22

Started by Boycey, July 12, 2021, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich Ricci

I see Man Utd's friendly with Preston was called off tonight due to positive cases. With the rising cases across the UK and large number of people being deemed as close contacts I hope this season isn't destroyed by postponements and unavailability of players.

lurganblue

Quote from: Rich Ricci on July 29, 2021, 10:14:02 PM
I see Man Utd's friendly with Preston was called off tonight due to positive cases. With the rising cases across the UK and large number of people being deemed as close contacts I hope this season isn't destroyed by postponements and unavailability of players.

Villa v Forest off too because of Covid in the forest camp

NAG1

By time the PL gets started the rules around isolating will have changed so these outbreaks will just be localised and the games wont be affected as far as I can see.

lurganblue

100m bid in for Grealish from City. No doubt a similar bid will come in from them for Kane. Easy to see they have no FFP concerns.

laoislad

Quote from: lurganblue on July 30, 2021, 02:56:39 PM
100m bid in for Grealish from City. No doubt a similar bid will come in from them for Kane. Easy to see they have no FFP concerns.
Neither of them are worth that much IMO.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

shark

Quote from: laoislad on July 30, 2021, 03:10:14 PM
Neither of them are worth that much IMO.

Not being smart, but what does "worth" mean? Surely it's a subjective measure. Villa would prefer to have Grealish than £100m. Their owners are stupid wealthy.

thewobbler

It's all so very wrong. They already struggle to find room for England's first choice attacking midfielder left, and England's third choice attacking midfielder left. Only an organisation with extraordinary disregard for a sense of fair play would be looking to break transfer records to purchase England's second choice attacking midfielder left.

Captain Scarlet

I keep hearing what a pro Harry Kane is and he is not like that at all.
Before he went to the Euros he went for a round of gold with Gary Neville and the Sky cameras! Now he is not showing up due to a gentleman's agreement that the English media can't even confirm is true.

Grealish in fairness is training away and waiting for the offer. I don't see how he is worth 100m, and if they are happy to pay that surely City should stump up for 120m or more for Kane.

Villa seem to be doing business and probably will spend the money well, but like who can Spurs get at this stage?

Aside from them Liverpool seem to be heavily reliant on Van Dijk and Gomez staying fit all year. Like there is serious mileage in their front three over the past few years.

Could United have a real push this year? Sancho and Varane are serious signings in fairness.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

yellowcard

Looks like Grealish is going to Man City now for £100 million. He is a good player but vastly over rated in my opinion. Its the 50% tax that it seems like you have to pay for English players. Just look at the over inflated transfer fee for Harry Maguire and then look at the numbers bandied about for Kane (who admittedly is a top class striker), Rice and Phillips.

It will be interesting to see exactly where Grealish fits into the City side as he is now just one of a whole host of good players in the side as opposed to having a team built around him. 

imtommygunn

McCarthy a fantastic player when on his game though unfortunately not regular enough. I dunno if that bad injury he got has slowed him down but I think it might.

I would still maintain that the reason we beat Germany in the 2012 qualifiers was because Whelan got injured and we had to play mccarthy in the holding midfielder position. He was superb. That is in him on  good day though I guess it was maybe 10 years ago.

shark

Quote from: yellowcard on August 04, 2021, 02:52:45 PM
Looks like Grealish is going to Man City now for £100 million. He is a good player but vastly over rated in my opinion. Its the 50% tax that it seems like you have to pay for English players. Just look at the over inflated transfer fee for Harry Maguire and then look at the numbers bandied about for Kane (who admittedly is a top class striker), Rice and Phillips.

It will be interesting to see exactly where Grealish fits into the City side as he is now just one of a whole host of good players in the side as opposed to having a team built around him.

The 50% (or whatever it is) tax is there because the selling clubs don't need to sell. The clubs on the continent don't have the same level of TV/commercial income and do value the £££s. For example, if Leon Bailey was being signed from another English team then no way Villa get him for the £30m they paid Leverkusen. But for Leverkusen - it's huge money.

screenexile

Interesting explainer on FFP!!

https://www.spurs-web.com/spurs-news/finance-expert-reveals-if-man-city-can-sign-kane-and-grealish-within-ffp-rules/

Captain Scarlet

Like Kane's performances add up to a 100m + player but Villa would be mad to turn down the cash on offer fro Grealish. Like I don't see how he will do much more than any of the lads at City now.

I know Ireland would be glad of him but the prices quoted for Rice are nuts too.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

rodney trotter

I think City would need Kane more then Grealish. They have lots of playmaker types but Grealish will obviously be a good player to have.

laoislad

Is Grealish really going to make City any better than they already are? I don't think so.
As a Liverpool fan who wants to see Liverpool win the League and with City being one of Liverpool's rivals for that league, I'm not overly bothered about them buying Grealish.
I think Man United have done better business that would have me more concerned as much as it pains me to say.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.