Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 09:31:25 AM
The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

Hello NI public sector.

Farther in law has both doses and works, let's just say in higher education, and is coming here next Tuesday to see his 9 month old granddaughter for the first time. Has to quarantine on return. Manager said he couldn't work from home (as had been done successfully throughout the pandemic) during his quarantine and he'd have to use annual leave. Spoke to HR about it and they said it absolutely wasn't a problem.

trailer

Quote from: tc_manchester on June 09, 2021, 09:50:54 AM
Quote from: gallsman on May 21, 2021, 10:27:06 AM
Your commute is two hours each way?
I live in Newbridge and work in Ballsbridge - leave the house at 7 to drive to the railway station - get 7.20 train to Grand Canal Dock - get into work about 08:40. Leave at 5 and get home at 6:50 so essentially 12 hours away from home.

In fairness my commute is 5-7 mins. I did do a 1hr commute for years but couldn't do it now. Anything over 30mins is too much I'd say if you have family.

Armagh18

I live in Newbridge and work in Ballsbridge - leave the house at 7 to drive to the railway station - get 7.20 train to Grand Canal Dock - get into work about 08:40. Leave at 5 and get home at 6:50 so essentially 12 hours away from home.
I'd say you're happy enough wfh!

imtommygunn

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 10:26:43 AM
The ones that won't are the ones with too manay managers who just want to try and control their workers... Needs to be trust. It's harder to micro manage too when people are WFH. (Though can be done no doubt)

Hello NI public sector.

Farther in law has both doses and works, let's just say in higher education, and is coming here next Tuesday to see his 9 month old granddaughter for the first time. Has to quarantine on return. Manager said he couldn't work from home (as had been done successfully throughout the pandemic) during his quarantine and he'd have to use annual leave. Spoke to HR about it and they said it absolutely wasn't a problem.

not just public sector. Jobsworths in manager positions basically make it a problem.

trailer

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 09, 2021, 11:17:36 AM

Hello NI public sector.

not just public sector. Jobsworths in manager positions basically make it a problem.

Managers are so 1990s.
Flat teams / structures,  treat people as grown ups. If they don't perform, manage them out of the business. The more you empower and expect from people the more they will surprise you and achieve.
If someone in our business wants to work 4 or 5 days from home then no problem. If there is a drop off in their productivity they can expect to be asked why and to up their game. But we're a really socialable crew and many of the team actually asked to come back into the office. I have a few marketing and admin people and they'll be WFH for as long as they want.

tc_manchester

Quote from: Armagh18 on June 09, 2021, 11:01:25 AM
Some of the commutes into our place are crazy - they-re 4-5 people doing the same as me from Newbridge. At least we all had seats on the train since it starts in Newbridge. It's standing room only from the next station in Sallins. There was one lady in our Dept coming in daily from Edenderry and another fellow coming in from Virginia

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: tc_manchester on June 09, 2021, 11:58:15 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on June 09, 2021, 11:01:25 AM
Some of the commutes into our place are crazy - they-re 4-5 people doing the same as me from Newbridge. At least we all had seats on the train since it starts in Newbridge. It's standing room only from the next station in Sallins. There was one lady in our Dept coming in daily from Edenderry and another fellow coming in from Virginia
It's mad how it just seems normal when you're at it too. I did on average 1 hr 20 mins each way for 13 years then got a job 15 minutes away. Couldn't do that sort of driving again. I'm about 25 minutes now and happy with that.

Tony Baloney

Hello NI public sector.

Individual managers shouldn't be able to set policy in any decent sized company. Re. the travel piece we are also telling them that if they choose to travel and get caught out with quarantine on return and are required to be onsite any isolation time is annual leave. I dont see any issue with that.

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2021, 02:02:53 PM

Hello NI public sector.

Individual managers shouldn't be able to set policy in any decent sized company. Re. the travel piece we are also telling them that if they choose to travel and get caught out with quarantine on return and are required to be onsite any isolation time is annual leave. I dont see any issue with that.

That's absolutely fine in my book. You can't remotely build someone's house for example. In my example, my father in law can 100% do his job from home. The only reason for a manager to try up prevent someone from doing so under those circumstances is because the manager is a p***k.

Tony Baloney

I'd agree Gallsman. If it literally has no impact on the employer then I don't see their issue.

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2021, 02:53:00 PM
I'd agree Gallsman. If it literally has no impact on the employer then I don't see their issue.

But it is up to employer to determine if it has an impact and not the employee. The employer has the final say. He / She pays the wages.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 03:43:43 PM

But it is up to employer to determine if it has an impact and not the employee. The employer has the final say. He / She pays the wages.
This is true, but the employee also provides a service that the employer needs/ values. Neither is irreplaceable. If an employer is hold fast refusing to consider flexible working arrangements then they will be more susceptible to losing talent, especially now when many other companies are moving more towards that approach. Of course it doesn't work for all roles but when it can be an option, employers should be considering it for their own sake as much as the employees. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gallsman

Quote from: trailer on June 09, 2021, 03:43:43 PM

And if they do that completely unreasonably then they should be taken to task for it.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on June 09, 2021, 02:21:18 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 09, 2021, 02:02:53 PM

Hello NI public sector.

That's absolutely fine in my book. You can't remotely build someone's house for example. In my example, my father in law can 100% do his job from home. The only reason for a manager to try up prevent someone from doing so under those circumstances is because the manager is a p***k.

I don't know about the NICS, but in the Freestate the government specifically said that any public servant travelling had to take leave, whether they were working from home or not. They didn't want people travelling in general and did not want it to be easy for people in certain roles but not in others. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

It was nothing to do with people travelling, his manager decided of her own accord that he couldn't work his quarantine period for absolutely no reason other than being an arsehole. HR policy at the minute perfectly entitles him to work from home.