Working from Home?

Started by macker15, May 19, 2021, 10:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

You boys are having a laugh. I've been in an office the whole time. Not a one got Covid.

You are all at it.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 20, 2021, 02:38:42 PM
You boys are having a laugh. I've been in an office the whole time. Not a one got Covid.

You are all at it.
🤫 Don't go ruining it for the rest of us! My garden has never looked better.

Captain Scarlet

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 20, 2021, 10:42:49 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 20, 2021, 10:36:28 AM
Very lucky as I've been able to work from home since last March. A survey went round with most preferring 2-3 days in the office.

I had to go in for the full week recently and you don't get as much done to be honest and most people I know are working more hours these days, so you would think where possible employers would want to keep it that way.

Even for savings on heating offices and other services costs companies are saving money not having people in. I'd still like the odd day in just from a social point of view.

Ah come on now.....

I'm not joking. Loads of shitetalk and stopping and starting going on. I like to blitz into things and then flute around a bit at home all truth be told.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

tc_manchester

Our place is talking about going back in for 3 days a week. Can't say I'm looking forward to it. I had the nicest balance at home - 8 hours work, 8 hours for myself and the family and 8 hours sleep. I found things to be more productive working from home. The travel to work will now make that (12-4-8). The departments in our office were all grouped together and it created a laager like mentality in some areas which meant it was hard to progress work sometimes. It's been far easier to get in contact with people and have the 2 min discussion you might need using Teams. They are also talking of hot desking which I think will remove one of the main benefits of the office which is knowing where the person you need is actually sitting. It means that you're probably going to end up using Teams even if the person is in the same block.

gallsman

Your commute is two hours each way?

tintin25

So, in recent zoom meeting my direct manager had laid out plans for our department to return to the office in some capacity starting from next week...it would be no more than 50% of the team in and would involve coming in 2 days one week and then 3 the next...so 2/3 day weeks for now.  Words were chosen carefully and it almost felt that they were just assuming people would comply rather than tell them they had to come in.  Manager also said any queries could be raised outside of meeting.  I emailed that evening and advised I didn't want to come in until I had my 2nd vaccine and requested that I return in August for proposed plan.  No response from my manager all day yesterday and they know I'm off all next week too.  Come the Monday when I return, would I be in the right to continue to stay at home given they haven't actually responded?

J70

I'd imagine you'll have to get the go ahead from them first.

I'm sure you're not the only one with concerns, so it might take them a few days to sort through the requests.

JimStynes

Next thing the teachers will be asking to work from home. Chancers.

armaghniac

And after that the housewives
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

From the Bunker

Quote from: JimStynes on June 05, 2021, 12:44:13 PM

Sure they spent half of last year working from home and the other half on holidays!

JimStynes

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 05, 2021, 01:39:18 PM

Sure they spent half of last year working from home and the other half on holidays!

They'll be looking to keep it that way. Bastards

macker15

🤣🤣🤣🤣👏👏👏

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tintin25 on June 05, 2021, 12:02:07 PM
So, in recent zoom meeting my direct manager had laid out plans for our department to return to the office in some capacity starting from next week...it would be no more than 50% of the team in and would involve coming in 2 days one week and then 3 the next...so 2/3 day weeks for now.  Words were chosen carefully and it almost felt that they were just assuming people would comply rather than tell them they had to come in.  Manager also said any queries could be raised outside of meeting.  I emailed that evening and advised I didn't want to come in until I had my 2nd vaccine and requested that I return in August for proposed plan.  No response from my manager all day yesterday and they know I'm off all next week too.  Come the Monday when I return, would I be in the right to continue to stay at home given they haven't actually responded?
Go in on the Monday you are due back and chat about it rather than not turning up and getting their back up or at the very least ring them first thing Monday morning and say as you hadn't heard back from them before going off, you weren't sure what the situation was. It sounds like your company are taking a reasonably safe approach which would be hard to argue with unless you have a clear reason for staying at home ie you are vulnerable and waiting on your second jab. Making a special case for you and not others might create ill feeling between management and other employees.

RedHand88

Moving to Tyrone soon but continuing to work in the outskirts of Belfast. Managed to negotiate 1, possibly 2 days a week from home. It's not the kind of job where wfh 5 days is possible due to the practical nature of some elements of it.

My commute is going to be about 55mins and there's a baby on the way so I'm delighted to cut the days down. Was working out, each day of the week where I work from home saves about £500 on fuel over the year.

Been reading elsewhere about how productivity is higher at home. Even the manager said this who tends to do a few days a week themselves. Have others found this?

tintin25

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 05, 2021, 06:38:24 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on June 05, 2021, 12:02:07 PM
Go in on the Monday you are due back and chat about it rather than not turning up and getting their back up or at the very least ring them first thing Monday morning and say as you hadn't heard back from them before going off, you weren't sure what the situation was. It sounds like your company are taking a reasonably safe approach which would be hard to argue with unless you have a clear reason for staying at home ie you are vulnerable and waiting on your second jab. Making a special case for you and not others might create ill feeling between management and other employees.

I'll probably sent a follow up email later in the week, but the manager should really have been getting back to me.  Like I say, I have no issue returning in some capacity but given personal circumstances concerning elderly parent I'd rather delay it until 2nd vaccine.  Thing is, I don't see how it would create any ill feeling...there have been plenty of people in our place who have been happy to go back to the office and actually prefer it.  I don't see why they couldn't have taken the approach of letting people decide for now.  The genie is well and truly out of the bottle with regards WFH now.  Question for any legal heads, if you were to request flexible working in some form and company rejected this (which is likely), do they have to have proper justification?  I mean, surely if the last 18 months shows you can do a job from home and are as productive with no effect on business performance then you have a solid enough argument?  Such a grey area it seems.